R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Pentagon Car Sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pentagon Car Sales

I was curious to know if anyone has dealt with these folks before? I actually have the check to pay for the 06 MCS I wanted from a regional dealer; however, I was told about these guys and was interested in seeing if they can really save that much $$$. Seems pretty good from their website, though, I must say that this is exclusively for members of the Armed Forces. Would appreciate any information/feedback. Just remember: I've got this check burning a hot, little hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2005, 01:01 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
I was curious to know if anyone has dealt with these folks before? I actually have the check to pay for the 06 MCS I wanted from a regional dealer; however, I was told about these guys and was interested in seeing if they can really save that much $$$. Seems pretty good from their website, though, I must say that this is exclusively for members of the Armed Forces. Would appreciate any information/feedback. Just remember: I've got this check burning a hot, little hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent.

Cheers!
Never been in a location where I was eligible to work with them, however the few times that they've been mentioned here it's always been positive...

Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
04CooperS
1st Gear
I purchased my 04 Cooper S through Pentagon Car Sales. I was stationed over in Germany and had a good experience with them. However, I am pretty sure you have to be stationed over there or have official business overseas to use them. I saved roughly $3000.00 on the purchase.

04 Cooper S

Old 10-16-2005, 10:42 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Direct from Pentagon Car Sales:

Is it possible to buy a new MINI through Military Sales if I’m stationed in the USA?
No, in order to use this special program your Duty Station must be located outside the USA and it’s territories. Alternatively, you must be in possession of TDY/TAD orders (or deployed) to a foreign location at the time you place your MINI order. **Please note that due to Customs/Delivery logistics, currently only Military/DOD personnel assigned to Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Belgium & Holland may participate in the MINI program.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
And if you're TDY you have to actually stop in Germany to be able to get the Mini. I can order a BMW from Iraq, but not a Mini because it is made in the UK.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I financed my 2004 MCS thru Pentagon as I am retired military. Got a good rate too. The Mini as you see in the above response is not available through the Military Sales Program in Korea. But the Mini will be available through the BMW Diplomatic/Military Sales program here in Jan 06.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:23 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I just bought my 06 (still waiting for her) through Pentagon Car Sales here in Heidelberg Germany. As stated, you have to be either TDY or stationed overseas to be able to order. You can save some good money if you do go through them as all cars bought here are tax free for US forces (or supporting elements). If you have any questions further about it, please feel free to ask. My MA is Brandon Lumm (brandon.lumm@pentagoncarsales.com) and I am certain he would be able to answer your questions.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 AM
kramseib
3rd Gear
I placed my order for a 2003 MCS with all 3 packages with Pentagon Car Sales, Kaiserslautern, Germany in July of 2002 and received it in November 2002. Since then I have been deployed to many locations, having just 16,000 miles on it now. I checked the resale on the MCS and I can sell it in Phoenix for $6,000 more than what I paid. And they say cars are not a good investment! It's the best investment I have made in years!!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Average savings?

Thanks to all who've replied; most enlightening. As I will be stationed there come Feb 06, that will not be a problem. My angst is from the potential of ANOTHER delay in pulling this trigger. Do I buy it here, drive it for a couple of months, then have to wait (again!) for the boat to deliver it or do I hold off, buy it there, then pick it up at the factory?!? Thus, the dilemma. Another issue is the potential cost savings with buyin it overseas vs. shipping two cars over, knowing that I'll have to pay for one myself. How much will that all play off of each other in this decision cycle? <Remember, I have the check in hand now, so there is quite a bit of personal/fiscal restraint/responsibility at play here!!!> As it is, I've been waiting to pay off the wife's mini van for over a year in order to start a new payment on a Mini. Decisions, decisions!!!

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:53 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Well with that information I would wait. Why not save the $3,000 instead of paying MSRP. Plus there is no sales tax until you come back to the states (and depending on what state you go to). And finally, it's gonna cost $1500 to $2000 to ship overseas. If I was going to Germany before '07 I would buy it over there. That's my $.02

Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Jekyll2000
1st Gear
I just purchased my MINI overseas and was going to buy through Pentagon but because I'm stationed in Holland instead of Germany had to go through the authorized MINI dealer here. If your going to Kaiserslautern or Ramstein, stop by and talk to Pentagon Car Sales there. Ask for Andre, he's very professional and will definately set you up. Currently, you save about $1450 off the MSRP of the base car and pay sticker for any options. MINI also has a home shipment program that runs from $700-950 depending on where you ship it from.

Hope this helps!

Tony

Old 10-17-2005, 10:18 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Thanks to all who've replied; most enlightening. As I will be stationed there come Feb 06, that will not be a problem. My angst is from the potential of ANOTHER delay in pulling this trigger. Do I buy it here, drive it for a couple of months, then have to wait (again!) for the boat to deliver it or do I hold off, buy it there, then pick it up at the factory?!? Thus, the dilemma. Another issue is the potential cost savings with buyin it overseas vs. shipping two cars over, knowing that I'll have to pay for one myself. How much will that all play off of each other in this decision cycle? <Remember, I have the check in hand now, so there is quite a bit of personal/fiscal restraint/responsibility at play here!!!> As it is, I've been waiting to pay off the wife's mini van for over a year in order to start a new payment on a Mini. Decisions, decisions!!!

Cheers!
I would definetly wait. The tax free portion of this is what makes it nice. Mine will be delived to Auto Kocher sometime within the next two weeks. Ordering here is not that big of a deal and the wait is just a little shorter than the states (shipping is closer).

If you buy it there, you will have to ship it here and PRAY the military movers don't dump it into the ocean. Seen it happen....

Old 10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
bolar
3rd Gear
I got my August (August of '03) build '04 MCS from Pentagon. They always have ads all over Stars and Stripes. Did it all over the internet while I was in Kuwait. I didn't get everything finalized until the end of my tour so I was home when it was shipped. I bought a one way plane ticket to Baltimore and a taxi ride to the port to pick up my new shinny CR/W MCS . I drove it home 6 days before Christmas. At the time it was only around $1000 to have it shipped over. I still saved a bundle .

My experience was good so I would give Pentagon a .

Old 10-17-2005, 11:47 PM
daflake
6th Gear
So far I give them a as well. Very good service and they really help to save money for the soldier.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Cecil Davis
2nd Gear

Cheers!
[font=Verdana]I ordered my 2006 MCS JCW through Pentagon Car Sales and I'm very satisifed with their customer service. My New Car Salesman was a young man by the name of "Alex Leask" .[/font]
[font=Verdana][/font]
[font=Verdana]As for saving $$$$$$$$$$$ on my order. . I saved right at a $1,000.00 of the stateside base price. Other than one or two small things, most of the prices are locked in stone from the manufacture (BMW).[/font]
[font=Verdana][/font]
[font=Verdana]I have no problem recommending Pentagon to do business with. Hope this helped. . . [/font]
[font=Verdana][/font]
[font=Verdana]Cecil[/font]
[font=Verdana]Heidelberg, Germany[/font]
[font=Verdana]Hometown: Ft Lauderdale, Florida[/font]
[font=Verdana]Born: Alexandria, Virginia (a long time ago ) [/font]

Old 10-18-2005, 03:58 AM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Bottom line...Pentagon is awsome. You can call em from worldwide..even DSN.

When I decided to ship my Mini from USA to Korea on Uncle Sams bill Mini would not permit me a lein to ship the car. So I quit Mini financing and changed to Pentagon. I got a nice $1000 refund from Mini too:smile: . Within a week Pentagon financed me cheaper than Mini and also sent me the lein to ship my Mini to Korea. Also Pentagon is available 24/7 and are always helpful and curteous.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
I ordered a Ford through AFFES when I was in Turkey a few yrs ago. I know its not Pentagon. I thought I would save all this money it being tax free. It is only tax free if you get it delivered to an overseas location. When I went to pick my car up in Florida, I had to pay the sales tax of the state (6.5%) before they would give it to me. Something that AFFES didnt tell me. Needless to say I was irate about the whole situation. If you order a new car and have it delivered overseas and put a few miles on it, then ship it to the states, you dont have to pay sales tax because it is then considered a used vehicle.
I am currently in Iraq and am interested in ordering. But Im not going to deal with Pentagon if I can't really save any money. I currently use Pentagon Federal CU for all my accounts. I wonder if they are attached to each other at all?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by K4KAS
I ordered a Ford through AFFES when I was in Turkey a few yrs ago. I know its not Pentagon. I thought I would save all this money it being tax free. It is only tax free if you get it delivered to an overseas location. When I went to pick my car up in Florida, I had to pay the sales tax of the state (6.5%) before they would give it to me. Something that AFFES didnt tell me. Needless to say I was irate about the whole situation. If you order a new car and have it delivered overseas and put a few miles on it, then ship it to the states, you dont have to pay sales tax because it is then considered a used vehicle.
I am currently in Iraq and am interested in ordering. But Im not going to deal with Pentagon if I can't really save any money. I currently use Pentagon Federal CU for all my accounts. I wonder if they are attached to each other at all?
Actually, if you would have had it delivered to a state that doesn't have sales tax, i.e. Oregon, you wouldn't have paid tax.

And driving it overseas does not make it a used car. All you have is a Certifiacte of Origin (what you have for a new car) when you return. So, when you go to register it for the first time, it looks like your registering a new car.

And finally, if you are in Iraq, like I am, you cannot order a MINI through the overseas programs. UNLESS, you happen to have stopped in Germany on your way over or on the way back. This is because the MINI is made in the UK and not Germany. However, if you want a BMW, you're good to go. Just thought I'd let you know since I already checked on it.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
About shipping two cars

Mrs Flyinglemur works for the personal property office here in La Madd and she found out about the Opportunity Lift for cars, which pretty much cemented our idea about buying a mini from Pentagon.

We are going to ship our Buick Regal back via Opportunity...the only diference between OL and regular shipping of a car:
-you have to have your own insurance (we found out the hard way that you do NOT have to have your own if you let the military ship it)
-it can take 6-9 months
-you have to deliver it somewhere else (more than likely...we will have to take the Buick to Naples vice just having the Navy ship it from where we are stationed)
-you have to pay the fee to get the car craned on the ship, usually under $50 or so I am told
-there are limited spots in the States to deliver it to, so we will have family pick it up in Norfolk.

As for Pentagon, we paid 26G for a fairly loaded '05 MCSC. A buddy of mine in CA with two minis said he couldn't touch one with the same options for under 40G. Now, that sounds pretty far fetched, but it makes me feel good. When the MC came in, the Pentagon Dealer drove me to the BMW dealership about 45 minutes away and I took delivery from the showroom there. All around good experience from Pentagon and I would highly reccomend, if that check doesn't burn itself through your pocket first :smile:

Old 10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info Deuce. I have been looking around for the best route to go. Seems your in the same boat as me! Only I also have a car back home on base I need to sell. I may order the Mini and then worry about selling it when I return. I have talked to a couple different dealers. None of which are close to Ft Walton Beach Florida. Atlanta may be the only choice for me.
Wonder if they offer any type of military discounts?

Old 10-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Many thanks!!

I've been off the 'net for the last three days but am thankful for the many replies. Trully informative. As for Pentagon, they're quoting ~$3k less than the US dealer I've been talking to. That, along with those hidden costs of a PCS move, shipping the car over, TTLs/Docs, etc., are pretty compelling reasons to hold off buying now. Realize just how hard a decision that is when I have the check for the US car on my desk right now!!! So, back to the waiting game!! Again, many thanks for the input!!

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by K4KAS
Thanks for the info Deuce. I have been looking around for the best route to go. Seems your in the same boat as me! Only I also have a car back home on base I need to sell. I may order the Mini and then worry about selling it when I return. I have talked to a couple different dealers. None of which are close to Ft Walton Beach Florida. Atlanta may be the only choice for me.
Wonder if they offer any type of military discounts?
No problem, glad I could help. I was in the exact same boat as you except I got rid of all my cars except one before I left so that I could order the MINI and have it ready when I got home (should be ordered today, which is really tomorrow back in the states).

Good luck on the discounts The only thing I'm getting for free is the installation of my floor mats .

If you're looking for an MSRP dealer, the one in Murray, UT is. Not sure you want to go that far, but talk to Juan Coles (I think that's his last name). Tell him Dennis sent you and I'll split any "referral fee" that I get. How's that for a discount?

Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
I've been off the 'net for the last three days but am thankful for the many replies. Trully informative. As for Pentagon, they're quoting ~$3k less than the US dealer I've been talking to. That, along with those hidden costs of a PCS move, shipping the car over, TTLs/Docs, etc., are pretty compelling reasons to hold off buying now. Realize just how hard a decision that is when I have the check for the US car on my desk right now!!! So, back to the waiting game!! Again, many thanks for the input!!

Cheers!
Good choice. I wish I could wait, but I want the '06 instead of the '07.

Have fun over there!!!!