R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Halloween Cat Costume for the MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 02:57 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halloween Cat Costume for the MINI

THIS POST IS NOT A JOKE

At work we're having a Halloween lunch, for the entire building. I was thinking, what about dressing the MINI up? The major problem is, the luncheon is on a Friday, and people might find it odd to see a MINI on the road with ears, a tail, and a nose.

Here's the idea: About 5 years ago I sewed (3 sets) some cat ears out of black hairy fabric, pink bath towel cloth, and a pair of hair band things (the name escapes me, I'm a guy). And a tail. For my sisters play she was in.

So I was thinking, make some large ears, reinforce them with metal L brackets and foam core or wood. Attach them through the sunroof. Then, make a shorter tail, attach it to my boot latch. Take a piece of pink mat board, cut it in the shape of a nose, and attach it to my grille (any cooling issues?). Drive to work, then to school, then back to work. The school part - parked for 2 hours in a student lot - worries me slightly.

I mean, Halloween is on Monday, the lunch is the Friday before. So... has anyone done this before? Will the wind resistance shear the ears off (60 mph max speed)? Will the ears collect bugs?

I'm thinking it'd be funny - but not necessary - to have the MINI wear the "costume" while driving.

Any thoughts? I know this totally kills the argument that the MINI is not a cute car, but I really don't care.

John

Old 10-23-2005, 03:00 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ururk
I know this totally kills the argument that the MINI is not a cute car, but I really don't care.
Anyone who thinks the MINI isn't cute is kidding himself.

I think your idea sounds great. Everyone needs more smiles in the day.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:06 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
Anyone who thinks the MINI isn't cute is kidding himself.
Agreed!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 03:23 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Check out the MINI reindeer at https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34086&highlight=parade,. The "more pictures" link show how thiey did it.

Maybe you could just go as Austin Powers?

Old 10-23-2005, 03:24 PM
ururk
5th Gear
And I need to say something about this idea. It came from the realization that:

iPods and Cell phones can be dressed up for Halloween

http://www.iattire.net/

AND

The MINI can be considered and ultimate iPod accessory:

http://www.ubercool.com/2005/09/23/u...car-and-stereo

Put two and two together, and you get the catMINI. Though I'm sure from time immemorial, people have been dressing their vehicles up for Halloween.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minims
Check out the MINI reindeer at https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34086&highlight=parade,. The "more pictures" link show how thiey did it.

Maybe you could just go as Austin Powers?
Thank you thank you thank you! That was pretty funny, and I'll see if I can find any of that blue foam lying about (we had a sheet of it around here somewhere), otherwise I'll use the foam core...

As for Austin Powers: Now THAT would be scary.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
hmm a cat car.. who would have Thunk it

http://members.aol.com/pwkt/catcar.jpg

Old 10-23-2005, 06:56 PM
ururk
5th Gear
I made a quick proportion study sort thing using a picture of my MINI and a blown up version of the cat ear I made. The nose is just a bit of a mess, not too sure how it will be shaped, sized, etc... Also, I made no attempt to make the photoshop job be believable!

Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
It's a neat idea, but I think you should avoid driving more than 20MPH with the stuff on the car. If you attach the stuff when you arrive it'll look just as cool, and then you don't have to worry about anything getting damaged while you drive or worse flying off and striking another car

Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
AAAMINI
3rd Gear
Been there, Done that...

We had a halloween/Graveyard run today with the club and this is how the MINI went...

Attached Thumbnails Halloween Cat Costume for the MINI-img_4040-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
We did a haunted drive set to music last year and several Minis dressed up. Fixin' to do it again Saturday night with 35 Minis and it sounds like most of them will be decorated. The two cars below did the drive last year with the attachments. The classic had an inverter so the pumpkin glowed. When we got out into the darkness it looked like the Great Pumpkin gliding over hill and vale.

I am taking Celeste the classic Mini this year and she will be the One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater complete with wings on the quarter windows.

I think you will have great fun dressing up your MINI for Halloween and you will make the people who see you smile (some might shake their heads and smile but that's ok). Post some pics when you are done so we can admire your cat.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM
ururk
5th Gear
I am so glad I'm not alone...

I like the fangs on the eeeeevil MINI! Reminds me of cat teeth - sharp and pointy.

Heh, I'm going to try building the ears/nose/tail a bit heavy duty/industrial strength so I can drive with them... I drive a very very rural (but, uh, fast) road in the morning. Then once I do get into town, it's downhill from there (both speed and elevation!). I think the nose will hold up well. Not sure about the ears (my coworker thinks I should make them bigger).

Thanks for the support, makes me feel less dorky...

Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
DreamingTwig
3rd Gear
I went nuts for Halloween too.

Don't feel bad. I don't know how you can make something that will hold up to cruising speed, but I'm sure it can be done somehow... Maybe something that you can "pinch" through the sunroof's front end. Sort of like closing your coat in the car door, but on the roof. May keep the ears from flying away.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DreamingTwig
I don't know how you can make something that will hold up to cruising speed, but I'm sure it can be done somehow... Maybe something that you can "pinch" through the sunroof's front end. Sort of like closing your coat in the car door, but on the roof. May keep the ears from flying away.
That's what I'm planning.

I'm also going to email my MA about getting my Catalytic Converter looked at, and then attach pics...