R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To Buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:17 PM
studog
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Buy or not to buy

I've been wanting a MCSa a dealer by me has a 05 with what I want.
Someone ordered then walked away. They've been using it for a demo
and it has around 5k miles.

But what has me holding back are all the threads with problems not just
on this site but others. I've just read 55pages off of Edmunds.

I've been reading alot about 05 MCSa bogging/choking etc and leaving people
in quite a bind. And many dealers not much help

I need some positive feedback from owners you are happy and trouble free or some what trouble free.

Thanks to all for your input.

studog

Old 11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the place for positive feed back !

I don't have a MCSa, but I have just ordered my second Cooper. I was really happy with my '02, but after crunching the numbers I found the MINI held its value so well, I could move up 4 years and lower my monthly payments

Old 11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
eVal
6th Gear
First I have to say that I think its a bad idea to buy a demo. I know that the brand new demo car I test drove was flogged by the sales people as well as the customers - really driven hard, no break in observed, and when the engine was cold to boot. IMHO that is one thing that can set you up for problems in the future. I have also heard of demo cars being damaged and repainted, so that is another area to be aware of.

Secondly, we are very happy with the car. There was a recall for the engine wiring harness that should have addressed the limp mode issues that many had encountered (the recall moves the harness to prevent damage from wear which is what was causing the issues for many). That combined with the software upgrades seems to have helped many. We only had the SES on and the upgrade eliminated it.

That said though, I will interject that MINI's dealer service, just like BMW in my experience, can be a PITA to deal with and can vary dramatically in quality and knowledge from one place to the next. If I were to do it over again that would be the big influence - not issues with the car, but rather with the company and its dealer franchises and how they operate. It is worht checking out your local dealer service and its reputation before commiting to the car.

Hope that helps some

Old 11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
i agree

i have seen the bmw demos sittign idling for mucho minutes while the salesmen warms it up to take it home as a demo. order your own...if it was a honda or toyota i wouldn't be as concerned. there's enough issues with the minis without adding demo 5,000 mile baggage to it...

Originally Posted by eVal
First I have to say that I think its a bad idea to buy a demo. I know that the brand new demo car I test drove was flogged by the sales people as well as the customers - really driven hard, no break in observed, and when the engine was cold to boot. IMHO that is one thing that can set you up for problems in the future. I have also heard of demo cars being damaged and repainted, so that is another area to be aware of.

Secondly, we are very happy with the car. There was a recall for the engine wiring harness that should have addressed the limp mode issues that many had encountered (the recall moves the harness to prevent damage from wear which is what was causing the issues for many). That combined with the software upgrades seems to have helped many. We only had the SES on and the upgrade eliminated it.

That said though, I will interject that MINI's dealer service, just like BMW in my experience, can be a PITA to deal with and can vary dramatically in quality and knowledge from one place to the next. If I were to do it over again that would be the big influence - not issues with the car, but rather with the company and its dealer franchises and how they operate. It is worht checking out your local dealer service and its reputation before commiting to the car.

Hope that helps some

Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in 1995, I got a great deal on a demo Land Rover Defender 90 with about 2k miles on it. Got it for a used car price at a time when new ones were commanding premiums due to their rarity (only about 1500 imported that year)

If you get the demo, you should get a very very very good deal on it. If it is only a thousand or 2 off of sticker, then you should just order one just how you want it. Many dealers now do not have waitlists and you could have the MINI of your dreams in just a couple months. . .

Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the folks who say order your own. The only way I'd buy a demo is with a very deep discount...unlikely....& an extended warranty thrown in. If you order your own you can have everything just the way you want. That's the beauty of ordering.

As far as problems go, I really don't think the MINI has more than most other cars. For every person that posts a problem on the internet there are many more with no problems motoring along with a big smile on their face.

Chuck

Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with the others

5000 miles is way too many for a DEMO

100 or so wouldnt bother me but not 5K

Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM
studog
2nd Gear
Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Positive Feedback

As for the 05 MCSa issues, I have not experienced any hardships other than the check engine light comnig on and off. Which the fix was already taken care of. Other than that, I am very satisfied with the MINI.

As for buying a demo, great advice was already given.