R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Non-Geek Squad option drives Coopers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Geek Squad option drives Coopers!

According to Leo Laporte and their website Make It Work (http://www.makeitwork.com/) The Neighborhood Computer Support Company acts a lot like Geek Squad only they drive around in the much more cool CR/W Coopers. I also must say that I have been unenthused by Geek Squad so this may be a good option.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM
bosfordjd
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad I don't live in southern california, I wonder how they pay. And it looks like not only coopers, but the MCS, lucky them. I always wondered why geek squad used those ugly beetles instead of the cooper. I don't think I could take anyone seriously if I saw them pull up in on of those geek squad cars, they're just so god awful ugly with that paint scheme. Of course I can understand why BMW wouldn't want Mini to be associated with GS or Best Buy.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:56 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bosfordjd
Too bad I don't live in southern california, I wonder how they pay. And it looks like not only coopers, but the MCS, lucky them. I always wondered why geek squad used those ugly beetles instead of the cooper. I don't think I could take anyone seriously if I saw them pull up in on of those geek squad cars, they're just so god awful ugly with that paint scheme. Of course I can understand why BMW wouldn't want Mini to be associated with GS or Best Buy.
I think the Beetles were a great choice. They look exactly like they should........geeky.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
now now!!

BB and Geek Squad aren't all bad! I actually know a lot of fellow geek squad members who happen to be very cool guys and LOVE my MINI. Many of them are thinking about purchasing one for themselves. The Beetle is the image the company was going for when they bought out the idea from the teenage boy who started the company. Geek Squad was in the making about the time the MINI started to come to the US .... maybe one day if they change the name of the service from Geek Squad to Mod Squad will they change from the Beetle to the MINI. Geeks just don't define MINIs! They define the Beetle (for as geeky as they are)! (and if you are a geek like myself, be proud to be a part of the new geek generation....out with the old and in with the new!) Just don't slam BB and/or GS for getting as close as they could to the MINI in the beginning of it all. They tried their best....there is always room for growth, right?

~PJ

Old 11-13-2005, 10:47 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I saw one of the MINI Cooper computer squad cars in my 'hood last week! It was CR/W and I loved seeing it! I think the Geek Squad Beetles are cute, too!

Last edited by MINIclo; 11-13-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Don't forget Geek Squad's competition... "Geeks on Call". They use PT Cruisers instead. I don't like these companies much (mostly since I can do all of the tech stuff myself, thank you very much!), but I have met the guy that started Geeks on Call and later sold it. Really great guy.

http://www.geeksoncall.com

Old 11-14-2005, 07:35 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
They arn't buying MCS any more just MC because of insurance.

Earl

Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
bosfordjd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PjTheJester
BB and Geek Squad aren't all bad! I actually know a lot of fellow geek squad members who happen to be very cool guys and LOVE my MINI. Many of them are thinking about purchasing one for themselves. The Beetle is the image the company was going for when they bought out the idea from the teenage boy who started the company. Geek Squad was in the making about the time the MINI started to come to the US .... maybe one day if they change the name of the service from Geek Squad to Mod Squad will they change from the Beetle to the MINI. Geeks just don't define MINIs! They define the Beetle (for as geeky as they are)! (and if you are a geek like myself, be proud to be a part of the new geek generation....out with the old and in with the new!) Just don't slam BB and/or GS for getting as close as they could to the MINI in the beginning of it all. They tried their best....there is always room for growth, right?

~PJ
I'm not saying they aren't cool, or good people, but the white and black pattern with orange decal on the beetles is uuuugly, the paint scheme is my real qualm. They should have done em all black with the orange decal up front and side, they'd look sweet then, or maybe a black and orange superman scheme. As for BB, it's just ultra weak compared to most of the good etailers that will deliver right to my door, and not exactly a place I associate with professionalism. Kinda drags down GS's street cred if you ask me, but it was probably a good business decision, so can't fault em too much.

Originally Posted by 10851CS
They arn't buying MCS any more just MC because of insurance.

Earl
That must cause a riff, I'd be upset if one guy was getting the S and I wasn't. Not to say you can't have fun in both, but c'mon?

Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 PM
resmini
6th Gear
I'm not saying they aren't cool, or good people, but the white and black pattern with orange decal on the beetles is uuuugly, the paint scheme is my real qualm. They should have done em all black with the orange decal up front and side, they'd look sweet then, or maybe a black and orange superman scheme.
I think the black and white paint on the Geek Squad beetles make them look like little cop cars........pretty cool I think.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
I think the black and white paint on the Geek Squad beetles make them look like little cop cars........pretty cool I think.
In fact, so much like cop cars that the CHP had asked them to paint their cars another color.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p...19/1033/NEWS01

Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
I was never saying that the Geek squad cars are stupid. I just like the MINIs better. I am myself a Geek...I believe I ranked High Nerd (84% percentile) in that off-topic post a while back. My problem is that I've been dissilusioned about Geek squad after they failed at a very basic task. I was looking for a power supply with a 24 pin connector (my Asus board needed it) and I asked them since most power supplies come with 22 pin. After three of them had looked at the box they said it did. I being ever so doubtful purchased it and opened it right there. 22 pin was inside. I returned it again. Since then I've just used a converter, but I was surprised at their lack of knowledge of the products they sell. Perhaps I just got a bad group, still they've really lost my trust. Besides I support these guys because Leo Laporte does and any who say the original The Screen Savers would know that Leo is the man...and Patrick wears utili-kilts.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
bosfordjd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Deuce Coupe Effect
I was never saying that the Geek squad cars are stupid. I just like the MINIs better. I am myself a Geek...I believe I ranked High Nerd (84% percentile) in that off-topic post a while back. My problem is that I've been dissilusioned about Geek squad after they failed at a very basic task. I was looking for a power supply with a 24 pin connector (my Asus board needed it) and I asked them since most power supplies come with 22 pin. After three of them had looked at the box they said it did. I being ever so doubtful purchased it and opened it right there. 22 pin was inside. I returned it again. Since then I've just used a converter, but I was surprised at their lack of knowledge of the products they sell. Perhaps I just got a bad group, still they've really lost my trust. Besides I support these guys because Leo Laporte does and any who say the original The Screen Savers would know that Leo is the man...and Patrick wears utili-kilts.
Hell yeah, TSS was the **** . Can I say **** on here? then G4 tv or whatever took over and turned techtv into pure garbage, that was a sad day.

Originally Posted by meanboy
In fact, so much like cop cars that the CHP had asked them to paint their cars another color.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/...319/1033/NEWS01
I haven't seen the new more black GS cars, they look alot better with black doors in that picture. Wonder if they only changed em in CA. Who would really think the cops were using beetles now? I don't know about people sometimes. And you'd think it'd be a plus having people think they were cops, it might make some people drive a little safer, esp on CA highways.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
I would never suspect the geek squad cars as being cop car. But then again, I don't think front plates are necessary and I have them now because of tickets issued by the CHP and SFPD.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
SonicVI
3rd Gear
Hell yeah, TSS was the **** . Can I say **** on here? then G4 tv or whatever took over and turned techtv into pure garbage, that was a sad day.
Yeah, they used to have so many cool shows and it's all crap now.
At least they left X-play the way it was, you know, with Morgan on it. She's the only thing worth watching on that channel now.