R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 new user and taking the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone!
I found your site last night and have been devouring all the info that I can about the Mini.
Today my wife(Bobbi) and I (Jim)(which equals"Jimbob&quotare putting our money down and ordering our BRG Mini. We're both very excited about the purchase. We've been researching every aspect of this great little car and finally test drove one last weekend.....that sealed the deal.
I have a question though..I read one post about the pro paint package (clear coat protection?). Our dealer offered this to us for $599 and we were going to jump for it, but am now wondering just what the package really offers. I know you get the protective clear on the front of the vehicle and was led to believe that somehow the whole car received some sort of applied clear coat. Is this true? Is it worth the expense? I think we can opt for the front protection for $300. Aren't these cars clear coated anyway? Thanks for any info on this.
Otherwise, we are ordering the BRG with white top,5 speed,sunroof,sport and cold weather package, boot box, Kaliedo material,anthracite trim, and xenon headlights. Are the xenons expensive to maintain (bulb-wise)? I like the idea of washers and self-leveling...seems like an additional safety feature.
As I stated above, we are excited about owning a Mini. Seems like a good bunch of folks on the site and the information I've found has been very helpful. We're putting in our order around one o'clock (CST) so if anyone has an answer to the above questions I'll be checking in frequently until the big 'O' hour.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-10-2003, 07:26 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
You can get a clear protective film for the front of your car. Its a clear vinyl and protects against rocks and such.

You should get the S.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
How much extra did you have to pay for the vinyl coating? I believe that's what was offered to us for $300. Have you heard of the whole vehicle being put in a protective coat? That's what was offered to us for $599.

Yeah, the S series is nice...but that's pushing our budget.

Jim

Old 02-10-2003, 07:34 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Welcome to MCOL. I think it just involves the 3M coating
over the front of the car. You could probably have it done
cheaper after you get the car. I would also ask if they are
going to cover the lights as well as it probaly doesn't. All
in all, if they do the lights I think the price is fair and I
like the stuff.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:52 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jimbob,
You aren't shopping at Herb Chambers Boston are you!?

I had a compulsory "Simoniz Paint Protection" package when I bought my MC; supposedly it is a coating that protects the original paint from acid rain, bird droppings, etc. Personally I do not consider it to be worth any money at all!

I also had the Autobahnd (plastic protection) over the front of the car. I do not have any paint chips - but I am not happy with the clearly visible line across the bonnet where the plastic ends.
I do not plan to get this for my new MCS.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:01 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>How much extra did you have to pay for the vinyl coating? I believe that's what was offered to us for $300. Have you heard of the whole vehicle being put in a protective coat? That's what was offered to us for $599.
>>
>>Yeah, the S series is nice...but that's pushing our budget.
>>
>>Jim

JimBob,

First of all welcome.....

I have been researching this for my MINI. You can get 3M InvisiShield or the same type product from Invinca-shield orXPEL I am not pushing either it is just that I have researched both. They are all about the same price at about $200.00 for the front end kit. The Invinca-Shield kits have a better selection of areas to cover, even have a piece for the front edge of the roof. I am still looking and each one has many local companies to install (at least in WA) and the cost to install in reasonable. I do not think it would hit $599.00 mark the dealer is asking. I am going to look at some cars with each installed this weekend.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info.
We are buying our Mini from Motorwerks Mini in Minneapolis (How's that for a tongue-twister?). They seem to be a very fair dealership. The MSRP is $16,975 and our options add up to $3330 which puts us at $20,305 (minus the clear coat protection). They tried pretty hard to sell us the roof rack (ugly), the HK system and premium package. But we do not need all the bells and whistles....heck, we drove a '72 VW for years (hand scrapers and sleeping bags for warmth). The Mini will be luxurious right out of the box. We're trading in our Ford Probe on the deal and hope it's still worth something. We're also selling our '99 Victory V92c in the process..(anyone want to buy a cruiser?). With the sunroof open on the Mini it will be as much fun as the bike, plus we won't have to wear leather or helmets!

Jim

Old 02-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
Is the $200 for the kit including application? I'm going to ask some indepth questions today at the dealership.
I sure appreciate all the feedback.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:14 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>Thanks for the info.
>>We are buying our Mini from Motorwerks Mini in Minneapolis (How's that for a tongue-twister?). They seem to be a very fair dealership. The MSRP is $16,975 and our options add up to $3330 which puts us at $20,305 (minus the clear coat protection). They tried pretty hard to sell us the roof rack (ugly), the HK system and premium package. But we do not need all the bells and whistles....heck, we drove a '72 VW for years (hand scrapers and sleeping bags for warmth). The Mini will be luxurious right out of the box. We're trading in our Ford Probe on the deal and hope it's still worth something. We're also selling our '99 Victory V92c in the process..(anyone want to buy a cruiser?). With the sunroof open on the Mini it will be as much fun as the bike, plus we won't have to wear leather or helmets!
>>
>>Jim

Jim,

Good options, but for the price you may want to consider the H/K sound system. IMHO it is every bit worth the money. I have always gotten the basic the radio system and changed it out but not this time. My sells stereo's for a major chain and he is impressed with the quality of the system. Would have cost a lot more to have a equal after market system installed.

Also, I test drove a mini with a roof rack, it made the worst noises I have ever heard, good thing you did not get it.

Mini-Rolls

Old 02-10-2003, 08:29 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
don't forget to get the MFSW. well worth 350
JMHO

Old 02-10-2003, 08:39 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>Is the $200 for the kit including application? I'm going to ask some indepth questions today at the dealership.
>>I sure appreciate all the feedback.
>>

No $200.00 is just for the kit. I talked to a couple of different shops and they stated that installation would no more than $150.00 so you still at about $350.00.

Old 02-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
I should know this...but what is MFSW?

+ I got a kick out some of the other posts where people described themselves as DINKS,SINKS,et al. Bobbi and I are MACGSNDAONC. (Middle age, college graduate son, no dogs anymore, one neurotic cat.)....

And it looks like I should opt for the 3M bonnet coating at $300 and skip the Simonize.

Old 02-10-2003, 09:34 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>I should know this...but what is MFSW?
>>

Multi-functional Steering wheel. I comes with cruise control but it allows you adjust the radio without taking your hands off the wheel.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Fiver
2nd Gear
Keep in mind, Jim, that it's not set in stone today. You can make adjustments to your order up until the start of production. I would also recommend the multi-function steering wheel. Yes, it is kind of a luxury item, but worth it in my opinion, if for no other reason than having the stereo controls on the backside. It's nice to be able to change tracks/volume/station while keeping your hands on the wheel (could actually consider it a safety feature).

Old 02-10-2003, 04:15 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

>>I have a question though..I read one post about the pro paint package (clear coat protection?).

Many dealers try to pad up there profit on a car by offering a paint protectant. It sprays on. I forget the name. I've been on other car forums and think I heard it here somewhere, that the paint protectant costs the dealer $5.00 so the 594 is alllll pure unadulterated profit. Some have been known to wheel and deal the dealer down on the price. Others "in-the-know" say not to even get the stuff. It is not worth it. Just keep your car clean and waxed and you should be just fine.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
I spoke with the dealer today about the paint protection plan. Her rationale was that with the application the car's paint is warrantied for 5 years. But I see in the book that there is a 6 year rust and corrosion guarantee (standard) along with the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. She also couldn't tell me what was applied to the car or how. I'm a little skeptical... And I was wrong on the 3M front clear guard price. I thought it was $300, turns out it is $350.

I wasn't going to complain, but we were sealing the deal on the Mini ( I offered to drive to the dealership but was told that we could handle it all over the phone) and I was just about to read off the card numbers for the down payment when she had a customer come back from a test ride. This was 11:30 a.m.......it's now 7:10 p.m. and she never called back. Talk about feel rejected. I had a bottle of wine chilling to celebrate with the wife on our setting the wheels in motion for the Mini.....I'm drinking it now to calm the simmering anger.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day....

Jim

Old 02-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
It is frustrating every time I hear about a dealer sales staff or service department - or even MINIUSA, for that matter - that does something stupid like that to sour some of the MINI experience. This is such a great car, and it is so much fun - it hurts that people can find ways to screw it all up....

I feel for you man. Tomorrow will be better - and now you are wiser. Even though it sometimes sucks - things happen for a reason. I'll have a glass of wine for you....

Old 02-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
Thanks Mini2go,

I know it's going to be a great car....just off to a little sour start. I just called the dealership because I was going a little bonkers thinking about it all. The fellow at the other end apologized and said it was very unlike that certain salesperson to do something like that. I had to agree because she seemed to be such an up-beat person. She must have had a whopper of a day...in which case I can understand. But some kind of call would have been nice.

Anyway, tomorrow's another day, and time for another pre-Mini glass of wine!

onward and upward,
Jim

Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Needler
4th Gear
> I know you get the protective clear on the front of the vehicle and was led to believe that somehow the whole car received some sort of applied clear coat. Is this true? Is it worth the expense? I think we can opt for the front protection for $300. Aren't these cars clear coated anyway?

Hi Jim,

I was in a quandary about the paint protection deal too. I asked a lot of questions about this item here on MCO and what I learned is that the paint protectant (I'm not talking about the clear bra applied to the front end, but rather the paint of the whole car) is silicone and that it seals the car for about 3 years. The problem is, if you are going to take wonderful car of your car and you want to buff out any little scratches, you CAN'T!! They are sealed as the sealant won't permit buffing.

My source (DavBret; you might want to PM him as he's the resident detailing expert) told me the best thing to do is to wax the car very soon after getting it and to NOT get the sealant.

If you do a search in the DETAILING section, you might be able to find the many posts on this topic.

I called my dealer about this and they (here in Portland, OR) wash and wax the car only once they receive it. No "sealants" involved.

Good luck. And welcome to the "MINI Nut Club" (Not as in tiny nuts, but as in people who are nuts about their MINIs

Old 02-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Jimbob
2nd Gear
Thanks for the welcome....this is a great group.
I've made up my mind (lots of loud clanking noises)...and I'm just going with the covering on the bonnet. We'll be cleaning and waxing the Mini all the time anyway!

One question....my dealer said that only 30,000 Minis will be released in the states this year. Is that correct?

Old 02-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
>>
>>One question....my dealer said that only 30,000 Minis will be released in the states this year. Is that correct?
>>

Sounds about right. There were roughly 25,000 sold this past year.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:58 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
one of the cheapest best spent time and money on any car is Wax

Old 02-10-2003, 07:02 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>Thanks for the welcome....this is a great group.
>>I've made up my mind (lots of loud clanking noises)...and I'm just going with the covering on the bonnet. We'll be cleaning and waxing the Mini all the time anyway!
>>
>>One question....my dealer said that only 30,000 Minis will be released in the states this year. Is that correct?
>>
>><<

Cheers!
Clover

Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Needler
4th Gear

>>
>>
>>Hey Jimbob,

I'd read in a MINI book (Christmas obsession) was that 20,000 was the maximum allotment for the US each year. Perhaps that has increased since then, but what it told me is that we were not going to become VW VOLKSWAGEN or PT CRUISER!!!
and say, "God, not ANOTHER one...."

We'll be unique, or at least until a number of years rolls by and we accumulate.

Needler