R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dorky cheapskate modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated pics of the cover on the car:

Dorky cheapskate modification-dv8rb.jpg

Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 AM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diverter Plate Drawing & Pictures

Originally Posted by Haseo461x
Dimension drawing would be godly right now. =]
Here is the drawing and some pictures of my Diverter Plate.

Attached Thumbnails Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-1.jpg   Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Diverter Plate.pdf (17.7 KB, 356 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 AM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
More Diverter Pictures

More Diverter Pictures

Attached Thumbnails Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-3.jpg   Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-4.jpg   Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-5.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 AM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
Some More Diverter Pictures

Some More Diverter Pictures

Attached Thumbnails Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-6.jpg   Dorky cheapskate modification-adp-7.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
In case editing an existing message doesn't trigger a "new message in subscribed thread" email, here goes a new message with the pixs pasted in, for BillyCuth:

Before:

Note the amount of light you can see around the throttle plate at the point where the spring stops trying to close it. To quote Wile E. Coyote, "Yipes!"

After:

The DT unit's spring closes it all the way fairly firmly, so that actual vacuum is required to pull it open. It also has its stop adjusted so that the valve closes tight....

I've noticed a marked improvement in low and mid RPM torque after putting this in, though just as much improvement could be had from simply picking up a used stock one at the junkyard, adjusting the set screw (or simply filing it down a bit) so that the plate closes fully, and stretching the spring that's inside the vacuum motor diaphragm so that it holds the plate fully against the setscrew at rest.

If I'd found a JY here that had MINIs before I found the smoking deal on a used Detroit Tuned bypass valve, that's the route I'd've taken.

C ya,
Dutch

Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Want to hear dorky and cheapskate? I took my BPV (spring has broken so it's been air driven by the VGS for what I'm starting to figure to be about 80-100k miles now, and I zip-tied the valve so it's always open, only lost 3 MPG and made a world of difference on the top end, picking up a full pound of boost and adding a lot more punch to the SC.

I'll need to get a new BPV soon though as it leans things out at idle a little. 3 cent zip tie gave my car back all that power it's supposed to have had all these years.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Want to hear dorky and cheapskate? I took my BPV (spring has broken so it's been air driven by the VGS for what I'm starting to figure to be about 80-100k miles now, and I zip-tied the valve so it's always open, only lost 3 MPG and made a world of difference on the top end, picking up a full pound of boost and adding a lot more punch to the SC.

I'll need to get a new BPV soon though as it leans things out at idle a little. 3 cent zip tie gave my car back all that power it's supposed to have had all these years.
Wow. The new-found torque is nice, innit?

Did it toss a "check engine" light at you for zip-tying the thing?

C ya,
Dutch

Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
A couple of months ago I had a GoMini GPS bracket installed for my Garmin Nuvi. Works great, and the unit is in what I perceive a perfect position. The one thing that bothered me was the power cord to the cigarette lighter receptacle. Yeah I know some of you have figured out how to hard wire GPS's, but I don't have that aptitude. I found (merit.com) a "mini" USB adapter, for $3.49, inclusive of S&H. It fit's in the recepticle, and I now use the cord that came with Nuvi for connecting to a computer and it looks much better.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Wow. The new-found torque is nice, innit?

Did it toss a "check engine" light at you for zip-tying the thing?

C ya,
Dutch
Yes but one code is much much better than 7 and limp mode for entering into boost. I've got the ScangaugeII and it's made it easy to periodically what codes are in there and make sure I'm not getting new ones.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Thanks for the pics Dutch... always looking to learn about this car as I plan to keep it for a long time.

This is my first ever SC car, so I know nothing about boost or when it kicks in or how to tell it has kicked in... All I do know is I like going fast!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyCuth
Thanks for the pics Dutch... always looking to learn about this car as I plan to keep it for a long time.

This is my first ever SC car, so I know nothing about boost or when it kicks in or how to tell it has kicked in... All I do know is I like going fast!
You're welcome!

When the bypass valve is working properly, you'll feel the engine "kick" a tiny bit right after you mash the gas pedal. That's the valve closing, and the supercharger kicking in. With a little practice, you can feather the pedal and *not* feel the kick. I've done it a few times since installing the thing yesterday, as a proof-of-concept, but I like the literal "hammer down" MINI-thump and it's going to take a *lot* of willpower to behave....

With the VGS setup on a stock bypass valve, the "kick" is only apparent if revs are up a bit, so that the supercharger is already making a little boost to be able to slam the valve shut.

Another pixs:

Broken spring. Gee, I wonder why it didn't close all the way by itself....
Kinda tricky to get apart, but if I can source a spring, and back off (or file down) the set-screw, then I have a spare....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM
s2kjay
1st Gear
to the guy who plasti-dippd his roof!!!

please tell me you have more pictures of this. also how many coats/cans did you have to bet to do the whole roof?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
SirTravis
1st Gear
so happy to see this thread still rockin. I found it almost a year ago. And I see it started in '05.

I recently found some old nylon straps with a buckle and fastened them around the headrest posts in the backseat. The buckle is hidden under the head and the seats are much easier to pull up.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sir Travis - old neckties work great as well, and add a bit of flair!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
SirTravis
1st Gear
2 for 2!

I just blacked out my beltline with electric tape. It fits great, looks great and it was in a junk drawer. (FREE)

Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by s2kjay
to the guy who plasti-dippd his roof!!!

please tell me you have more pictures of this. also how many coats/cans did you have to bet to do the whole roof?
I plasti-dipped mine as well, it took me 2-3 cans. IMHO it looks like ***. It was supposed to be temporary so i could save for a vinyl roof, but be able to buy my black rims. Plasti-dip is a miracle paint for small stuff, or odd shaped things, but the roof is a little to big and flat for it. dont get me wrong, it works, and it has stuck for about 8 months now, but some parts are smooth, some are rough and its hard to wash. Not to mention, its totally noticeable. Every MINI meet ive ever gone to someone has touched it and "inspected it."

Last edited by s00perc00per; 06-09-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SirTravis: Careful with the inexpensive junk drawer electrical tape - it can leave a residue when removed. I know the Scotch 33+ doesn't after a month or two, but don't know beyond that. The only sure bet is using one of the beltline backout kits available from the merchants here - but if you liike the look there's no reason not to go to the 33+ route (if you like the look), as the stuff holds up well and can be replaced inexpensively.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DixonL2
SirTravis: Careful with the inexpensive junk drawer electrical tape - it can leave a residue when removed. I know the Scotch 33+ doesn't after a month or two, but don't know beyond that. The only sure bet is using one of the beltline backout kits available from the merchants here - but if you liike the look there's no reason not to go to the 33+ route (if you like the look), as the stuff holds up well and can be replaced inexpensively.
For about $20 you can get a roll of the real deal ,3m scotch cal to do about 3 cars. I did mine 5 years ago and it's still good. It looks as if the part number from 3m is 72793 lho7 . It's rather blurred on the box but that's close. It's spec is 1/2 inch x 50 ft. L.g black. When I bought this roll it was under $18.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM
hockeyman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
For about $20 you can get a roll of the real deal ,3m scotch cal to do about 3 cars. I did mine 5 years ago and it's still good. It looks as if the part number from 3m is 72793 lho7 . It's rather blurred on the box but that's close. It's spec is 1/2 inch x 50 ft. L.g black. When I bought this roll it was under $18.

Randy
M7 Tuning
I applied the Scotch +33 well over a year ago and it is holding up nicely.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
i have a roll of 3M weather proof vinyl electrical tape that fits the beltline really well. it applies smoother and sticks really well to the chrome versus the $1 store electrical tape that i previously used.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
I've been meaning to show this for a while. I had finally gotten around to making myself a shift ****. The nicest thing about it is that it cost me exactly zero dollars, as the ball was given to me, and I had everything else necessary to make it.

I think it looks great, and it shifts better than the stock ****. For one thing, its bigger, so it fits in my hand better.
That 13 (sure looked like a 9) ball shift **** is an awesome idea! Fits the spirit of this thread well. Now I'll have to hit up fellow pool sharks for an 8 ball.

I'm thrilled that my thread has been so popular, thanks to all for posting.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Grendl
1st Gear
Great thread, keep `em coming!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Painted my Intercooler black today. I took air intake temps and engine coolant temps before and after and there wasn't a difference. I just used hi-temp gloss black paint and it came out great! Also cleaned it while it was off the car and replaced some Tee's for my vacuum lines.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Grendl
1st Gear
Cheap and dorky? I added a V8 to my `10 Cooper Clubman!

Two people have actually asked how I managed the install. I told them I just eyeballed it.

Last edited by Grendl; 06-17-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Homemade Blackberry Storm cradle for a Nuvi ball mount:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3073593

Works perfectly.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Dorky cheapskate modification