R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I upgraded from a DS/W '02 MCS to a SB/S '06 MCS and as much as I loved my '02 I think the '06 is going to be better. First major difference is the ride.

The change from the original '02 SS+ is dramatic. Even though there was only a change in the valving of the shocks it is a totally different car. Very low body roll and tight suspension in both cars but the '06 is so much smoother over the small irregularities and expansion joints.

The Sport Seats have more padding and seem to hold you a little tighter, or maybe that is just the feel of a new seat.

I have 1247 miles so far and have not been able to sample all of the new preformance capabilities offered by the 5 more hp and lower gearing. But it won't be long now! I can already tell there is more preformance. The LSD does it's thing in the snow and ice.

The added sun visor for the driver works well and adds an extra safety edge when the sun angles are low. Too bad they didn't add one over the passengers door also instead of the silly grab handle.

All is not perfect in the '06.

I definitely like the 2-spoke steering wheel better than the 3-spoke. The MFSW buttons on the new wheel are much more difficult to operate by touch. Now that it has gotten cold out and I am driving with gloves it is very difficult to get the right button onthe first or second try. The buttons on the back of the 2-spoker were larger and fell easier to hand. Much easier to operate by touch, even with gloves.

The placement of the clock is now almost useless as it is difficult to pick out among all of the other lights even when it is enabled.

In the USA we have lost the orange turn signal lights in the rear and now have all red for brakes and turns. I always thought the orange turn signals caught the eye better and allowed the following drivers to know what was happening easier.

The inside rear view mirror has grown larger and creates a much larger blind spot than the older mirror. I never found the old mirror to be small. I could always see both side of the boot screen without having to move my head. Now I find that I have to move my head around when looking forward and towards the right so I do not have a blind spot for traffic approaching from the right.

Maybe they will fix some of these thing in the '07s, but I ain't holding my breath.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00&ppuser=2665

Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch70
Nice new MC ... I have an 03 and possibly thinking about an 06 ... since you had an older model too ... what are the specific refinements you mentioned that are a standout?
Although I have only had it since Sat. some of the more noticable changes are, the Getrag tranny replaced the Midlands 5 speed has a much lighter and crisper feel to it and the lower gearing is also noticable. The exhaust note is changed, but the handling is exactly the same !
On the inside it is much tighter and the additions to the interior lighting are fantastic, leds flooding the dash area and lighting the door pulls as well as the forward reading lights where the clock use to be and the addition of lighting on the lower doors that illuminate the ground where you are going to step out. The addition of a digital speedo is neat too. I'm still "out" on the three spoke MFSW, I kind of miss my 2 spoke with the controls on the back.
All in all it was a deal that had to be made because of the value the '02 held, I moved up 4 model years and reduced my monthlly payment $40 a month and went from a 5 year loan to a 4 year loan.
I also didn't like some of the proposed changes for the '07 and don't want to be a first year model owner again

Old 12-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
That MINI has a strange familiarity about it.

Welcome to the Solar Red / Silver / Silver Bonnet Stripe club Jimbo.

Dave
Thanks DiD, and your right, it looks different in every lighting, I'm having fun getting use too the new color combo

Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
You guys need to drive more! I've had my car about 6 weeks now and already have 2500 miles. First MINI, latest in a long string of Euro cars, I am very pleased with the fit/finish and overall driving experience. Made one long road trip (500 miles roundtrip) and one shorter day trip and it's good on the highway as well. Ditched the S-lites/runflats on day one, auto-up circuit, nothing else planned for the moment. Just an anecdote for anyone "fearing" the manual transmission: I taught one of my young (17 years old) cycling teammates how to drive manual on my M3 a few months ago, he did pretty good on it on two occasions, the last time being several months ago. Last Sunday, on the way home from a mountain bike ride, I put him behind the wheel of the MINI. On only his third time driving ANY manual, he never stalled it, backed it out of the parking space on an incline, and drove 50 miles home both highway and urban streets. He said it was much easier than the M3 to drive, and very "intuitive." Just my two cents, anyone can learn to drive a manual MINI if they have the desire.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 AM
anteken
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One month, 2600 miles...it Rocks!

Much faster than the pre05's.

Cheers

Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
jack07734
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rygold
Hey MINIacs:

After 3 solid years with my LY/B 03 MCS, with Randy Webb installed Alta intake, pulley and Nology Hot Wires, we're parting company.
Robert,

Smileee will be sad to hear that her motoring partner Sharona will be going to another home.

Happy motoring to you and your new MINI.

Cheers,
Jack

Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I was completely content with my '02 ds/w, MCS. Unfortunately, The Silver Dart was TOTALLED in an accident on Monday. Fortunately, it did a fabulous job of protecting me from injury.....the front air bag was 'stunning'. Today, I ordered an '06....same colors with some neat upgrades that weren't originally available........limited slip, heated mirrors & jets, rain sensor & auto headlights, rear fogs, Harman-Kardon sound, center armrest. What's really neat is the package of upgrades I previously had to get via aftermarket......high flow air intake, 17% pulley, 22mm rear sway bar, single can exhaust conversion, short shifter and green pads.....which are now offered by my dealer and won't have any potentially negative effect on the warranty. They'll also be able to re-download my GIAC map before I even drive it away for the first time. Very cool!

While I wouldn't have chosen to do it now, I'm very much looking forward to
a new and very likely improved Mini driving experience.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
tony61356
Neutral
1st Mini. After a few check engine light blemishes and a 1st day run flat blowout, the car has been great. We are over 1400 miles in about 5 weeks and the car is not driven to work.....they are all "play" miles. I love my Faulken Azenis tires and my R99's and hope I never get another blowout. The car does have a slight rattle from the passenger side but nothing I would be willing to give the car up for now. Very Happy!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Owners Report In!-mini-small.jpg  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:56 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
Picked up our 2006 SB/S MCS on Nov 5th. Just hit the 2000 Km break-in mark last night in a driving snowstorm (or would that be a 'motoring snowstorm'? ) . The thing is solid as a rock on slick pavement with a high crosswind. I'll test the high-rpm power later ... in April.

Tony, love the side-by-side with your 356, the garage is a dream.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:06 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
The Checkmate package is THE VALUE LEADER and makes the Mini just the most UNIQUE edition you could want!! Very nice taste!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Although I have only had it since Sat. some of the more noticable changes are, the Getrag tranny replaced the Midlands 5 speed has a much lighter and crisper feel to it and the lower gearing is also noticable. The exhaust note is changed, but the handling is exactly the same !
On the inside it is much tighter and the additions to the interior lighting are fantastic, leds flooding the dash area and lighting the door pulls as well as the forward reading lights where the clock use to be and the addition of lighting on the lower doors that illuminate the ground where you are going to step out. The addition of a digital speedo is neat too. I'm still "out" on the three spoke MFSW, I kind of miss my 2 spoke with the controls on the back.
All in all it was a deal that had to be made because of the value the '02 held, I moved up 4 model years and reduced my monthlly payment $40 a month and went from a 5 year loan to a 4 year loan.
I also didn't like some of the proposed changes for the '07 and don't want to be a first year model owner again
thanks for that ... I am looking forward to the 07's, but like you said weary of the first year bugs. will see what happens in the next few months as far as announements and how things will shape up. if nothing positive comes ... will go for an 06 MCS in the spring. sounds like you made out pretty good on the trade in.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
7 weeks... 2000 miles...multiple hand washes/waxes...no issues...

Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
tony61356
Neutral
TooTall,

Thanks,
The "garage" is the only place in the world that is just mine. No wife, no kids, no dog...and no dog hair

Keep motoring!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Owners Report In!-garage_1a.jpg  
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tony61356
TooTall,

Thanks,
The "garage" is the only place in the world that is just mine. No wife, no kids, no dog...and no dog hair

Keep motoring!
Nice garage

Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
rick714
1st Gear
2006 MCS/wJCW 550 miles..

First Mini..

Picked up 2 weeks ago...550 miles...babies first car wash (last weekend).
Zaino in a few weeks...

2006 MCS w/JCW CR/W..Sport package...Polished R99...Toyo TR1 tires...Red Dash...English Leather seats (WOW)...Chrome int and Chrome bumper...
Chrono pck....

My old car was 1990 Madza Miata (RED with Jackson SC, Header and Sus.)
16 years

I fell in love with the Mini three years ago.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jack07734
Robert,

Smileee will be sad to hear that her motoring partner Sharona will be going to another home.

Happy motoring to you and your new MINI.

Cheers,
Jack

Hi Jack:

We had some good times, didn't we? Ferry trips, your centerfold photo in the first NAM Calendar, smokin' our tires at Shannonville. Those were the days.

But - once I have a suitable name for my '06 AB/S MCS Checkmate I'll be happy to introduce her to Smileee. And then we'll tackle the Dragon!

=R=

Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Originally Posted by s4gerri
The Checkmate package is THE VALUE LEADER and makes the Mini just the most UNIQUE edition you could want!! Very nice taste!
Man, I cannot wait! I was concerned about the Checkmate interior, until I actually saw one in person at Downtown MINI in Toronto. It's fantastic - not as "Fisher Price" as I thought it might be.

I've got a graphic designer working on a graphic that will extend the Checkerboard effect into a waving checkered flag on the doors. We'll see how brave I get!

I've loaded this baby up pretty good, JCW, Premium Package, HK, etc. The Checkmate package includes all the Sport Package goodies, so that's all taken care of. And of course, I'm finding some dealer add ons, like the Aero Grill. I have that grill on my LY/B 03 MCS and it's pretty cool - definitely looks good on the LY, so I think it will work as well on the AB.

And I'm pulling stuff off of the '03 to use on the '06 like the glove box and cubby organizer, the stubby antenna, the Shift Machine **** and the power steering fan shroud (if that's still an issue on the '06's - does anybody know about that?)

The '03 is here: http://www.miniac.ca

=R=

Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 PM
CruiseControl
4th Gear
After 2 Cavaliers (one was only 4 months old), a-lot of dreaming and wasting MA's time, and my friend buying a MCS and MCSC, I finally gave in and ordered one up. I've had it almost 2 months, and it's the best vehicle I've owned. Not to mention the fun I have had with my new friends here. 1925 miles (only six tanks of gas lol)

Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
jack07734
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rygold
Hi Jack:

......once I have a suitable name for my '06 AB/S MCS Checkmate I'll be happy to introduce her to Smileee. And then we'll tackle the Dragon!

=R=
Robert,

Your on.

Have a great holiday.

Cheers,
Jack

Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Here's GeMINI

Took delivery from Mike Kost at Classic MINI in Cleveland and drove it back to S. Oregon on Nov 15. Went south to Oklahoma then west to S. Cal then north to Medford Oregon. 3350 miles in 5 days.
The first night I drove through tornados and rain storms in Indiana, the car drove pretty well in the torrential downpour but when lightning lit up the sky and I saw several funnel clouds I decided I better get off the freeway. I hit dust storms in Oklahoma and Texas. I had to pay to use the turnpikes in Oklahoma so I decided to see how fast this little car would go, I let off at 110 mph. ignored *******es in thier little Hondas in Arizona that didn't want me in front of them, I had to put one little sh*thead in his place though as he just wouldn't let up on me, pulling ahead then slowing down and such. I just waited for his next pull up on the fast lane outside Casa Grande and then left him there, never saw him again, maybe he went on to Phoenix, I was heading for Yuma,(or maybe I embarrassed him).
I got lots stares and thumbs up in Cal. with no incidents.
Made it back in one piece and a week later the windshield shows a 4" long crack at the top.
So I now have a new windshield at 4000 miles and 1 month old.
I finally installed air horns and people now take notice when I blast them for pulling out in front of me like I'm not there.
Here's a few pics.

Me(right) and Mike Kost at Classic MINI with brand new GeMINI(sign on winshield says "Please do not touch me, I am going home to my new owner today!!!").

GeMINI Picacho peak outside Tucson

Salton Sea, S. Cal

GeMINI (This little Auto trans does have 2 personalities)
06 MINI S Auto DS/B
Premium, Sport, Cold Weather Packs
HK Sound, Alarm, Aux Jack, Air Horns
35% All around Window Tint

Disappointed I can't get the GeMINI license plate somebody in a Buick already has it.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 PM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
In the USA we have lost the orange turn signal lights in the rear and now have all red for brakes and turns. I always thought the orange turn signals caught the eye better and allowed the following drivers to know what was happening easier.
Do what I did. Keep checking the market place and find some 02-04 tail and reverse lights. It's a simple change over and the brake light mod still applies though different methods are needed. If you can't find the reverse light, like I couldn't, you can pick one up at the dealer for around $15.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Here's a review from the Toronto Star of the '06 JCW. They called it "comically fast"!

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1134645017629

=R=

Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Dalecv
1st Gear
There is a 10 to 12 month waiting list at the Mini dealership here in Oregon so I picked up my Cooper S from Gabriel Rojas at Baron Mini in Kansas City late Wednesday 12/14 and drove it back to Eugene, Oregon. I didn't think the good weather would last so I made a quit trip home. I left Abilene KS Thursday at 6:30 am central time and had finished the break in period by Heyburn, ID at 10 pm mountain time that evening. I made it home 5:45 pm Friday. Put another 300 miles on it Saturday retrieving my truck from Portland and just driving the back roads around here where the car really shines. I like it more each time I drive it. 2,365 miles, no rattles, no problems, just a lot of get up and go and smiles.

Warming up the car Friday morning at Heyburn Idaho, 5 degrees f.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tony61356
TooTall,

Thanks,

Keep motoring!
Nice garage... oh how I long for a garage...

Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
2006 Pepper White MCC, delivered in October. New to MINIs and first experience with a
convertible. We are having a lot of fun, especially our 6 year old daughter. I enjoy the
online community and the hobbyist aspect of the car.

I think my only disappointment is that the turning radius is rather large for such a small car
(no better than our 1996 4-door Passat station wagon). I owned a 1987 CRX Si, and its
small turning radius was great in the city for tight U-turns and parallel parking.

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!