R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 PM
aliborden
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love it

one month with the '06 and I love it. Read all the posts on all the sites while I was waiting and heard it was "noisy" and a "rough ride"-- I didn't find either of these to be true. I couldn't be happier.....

Old 12-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
I love my 06 Mini

I just love the 2006 MCS, 6-spd, sport package, moonroof, cold weather package, pepper white/black stripes...My first mini, and hopefully just the first of many. Great fun to drive!

Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM
findude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by findude

It does have a rattle somewhere on the right side of the interior. The dealer could not duplicate it, but it is definitely there. It is not related to the speakers, so something else is going on. We'll sort it out.
We solved the rattle problem. It turned out to be a metal box of mints one of the kids stuck in the armrest storage area as a surprise. The mints would rattle in the box when hitting rough spots at certain speeds. Removing the box (and mints) solved the problem.

So we are rattle and problem free at just under 1,000 miles.

Frankly, the only thing we really don't like about the car is the way the armrest interferes with reaching the adjustment for the seat back.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
rygold
5th Gear
WhiteRoofRadio Podcast

Hey MINIacs:

I don't know the guys behind the whiteroofradio podcast, but they're very knowledgeable and interesting. If you don't subscribe to it, you should. It's easy via iTunes.

They've played my audio comments, and yours are invited as well. I'm planning on sending them comments each week as I break in my new MINI (see the thread "New MINI Named" in this Forum). Hopefully they'll play them, and you'll see if we're experiencing the same from our MINIs. (I currently have a 2003 MCS so I know how interesting it can be. I've had a record number of warranty replacements. That particular S just might be in the Guiness Book!).

I had my first dealer look-see today and she's pretty!! (AB/S MCS Checkmate JCW with an Aero Grill). Delivery in 2 days!

Anyway, listen to the whiteroofradio podcast. You'll be glad you did!

=R=

Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM
minibot
3rd Gear
No problem with mine here. Except poor Miles gets rather dirty fast.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Bgreens
Neutral
524 miles and all is well

I picked up my 2006 CR/W MCS 4 weeks ago and I am having the time of my life. I never thought it would be so much fun to drive to the grocery store. And, like many of you, I have to sneak out to the garage every once in a while just to see it there smiling at me. I sure hope Mini doesn't mess up the magic with the 2007 changes.

-Bret

Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
murphy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minibot
No problem with mine here. Except poor Miles gets rather dirty fast.
I know what you mean, I can't keep the windows clean. I avoid water like the plague. But I love Thumper anyway.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 AM
RipKurl
2nd Gear
I've had my 16 mcs for almost a month with 650 miles on it. So far its been the love of my life. No compliants from me but my passengers do.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:54 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
MIB will be 4 weeks this Friday. Over 600 miles and three tanks of premium unleaded.
I have had the knee bolster (factory spec part instead of the parcel shelf) fall on to
my knees 3 times now. I want a parcel shelf but am afraid it will fall like the knee bolster
Mostly in town mileage. The OBC says 28 mpg. I think it may be wrong.

Had to remove the cup holder Both my legs and MrsDiff's legs kept hitting it. Also removed
the ash tray cup, we don't smoke and no one will smoke in MIB.

I am glad that we had the Factory Alarm installed at the dealer.
I wish I had ordered it and the Anthracite headliner.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:06 AM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
I've had her for 11 weeks and 2800 miles. She's my first MINI and I love her. We've already been to Laguna Seca (to watch) and several various club events.

Attachment 9861

Last edited by WEEGIT; 02-24-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
Only 250 miles or so since getting it last Thursday evening - and I love it! I have wanted one for 3 years, but never had one so I'm not sure what to add :(

Originally Posted by DrDiff
I have had the knee bolster (factory spec part instead of the parcel shelf) fall on to
my knees 3 times now. I want a parcel shelf but am afraid it will fall like the knee bolster
The parcel shelf is held in by two screws. I would definately recommend it, it pretty much rocks. The install was a bit of a pain, but with the knowledge gained I'm confident I could do another in 5-10 minutes with no pain. Read through https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=40959 before doing the install...

Oh, and it's the only place I have found to put one of these in the front of the MINI!

Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 AM
newcom
2nd Gear
2006 MCS, PW/B with black bonnet stripes (not sure of abreviation for that), MFSW, HK sound

Had it for a over a month and a half and have only put 1065 miles on it so far primarily due to me rupturing a disc one week after getting it. I was relieved to find out that the seats are very accommodating for low backs (works with mine). Now that I'm healing, I'm driving more distances.
It took me awhile to get use to driving a fwd vehicle after driving a Miata for 5 years but this car is more fun than the Miata.
I can't decide which direction to go for mods - probably interior for now, then exterior, and then performance mods after a year or so.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
06 HB JCW MCS, checking in...

I've had this little beast since Thanksgiving, and put about 825 miles on it. There have been NO problems so far, but I better shut up before I Jinx it ...

Check my sig below for the specs and Click on the pic below for lots more photos in my Gallery...

I am quite captivated by this car, and I've had some really neat motors over the past 10 years as a point-of-reference:
  • 2003 Volkswagen GTi (200HP 24-valve 2.8L VR-6, 6-spd)
  • 2000 Porsche Boxster S (250HP 24-valve 3.2L V-6, 6-spd)
  • 1995 BMW M3 (240HP 24-valve 3.0L I-6, 5-spd)
  • 1992 Honda Civic Si (125HP 16-valve 1.6L I-4, 5-spd)
They were ALL great cars, each with unique advantages and disadvantages. The GTi and Civic were daily drivers, while the M3 and Boxster S were my 'fun' cars, primarily used for autocrosses and driver schools. The MINI basically replaced BOTH the Boxster and GTi – so it had to be fun, fast, economical and practical ... at the same time. It has proven to be all of that so far.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDiff
I want a parcel shelf but am afraid it will fall like the knee bolster
The parcel shelf attaches differently (it is not hinged), and will not fall down.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
KTsMom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
I was completely content with my '02 ds/w, MCS. Unfortunately, The Silver Dart was TOTALLED in an accident on Monday. Fortunately, it did a fabulous job of protecting me from injury.....the front air bag was 'stunning'. Today, I ordered an '06....same colors with some neat upgrades that weren't originally available........limited slip, heated mirrors & jets, rain sensor & auto headlights, rear fogs, Harman-Kardon sound, center armrest. What's really neat is the package of upgrades I previously had to get via aftermarket......high flow air intake, 17% pulley, 22mm rear sway bar, single can exhaust conversion, short shifter and green pads.....which are now offered by my dealer and won't have any potentially negative effect on the warranty. They'll also be able to re-download my GIAC map before I even drive it away for the first time. Very cool!

While I wouldn't have chosen to do it now, I'm very much looking forward to
a new and very likely improved Mini driving experience.
I Totally understand!! Problem is that like a greiving widow, I didn't have enough time with my GOLDIE.

We picked up Wyatt on 12/10 and the most dramatic difference is that I went from an MTH'd Cooper CVT to a stock MCS automatic. What a difference that is. We've already added the parcel shelf, aux input, 3rd brake light mod, and tinted the windows. The auto up circuit just came in the mail, so that will go on this week. Once my pain and suffering is over, I'll get a TomTom, intake, and possibly exhaust.

The seats just from one year to the next do seem to hold you in the seat better. Everything else is pretty much the same as the '05.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Aviators
3rd Gear
Took delivery last week- lucky enough to find exactly what I wanted on a lot.

Royal Grey / Silver MCS w/ factory JCW package. Loving it so far, only put about 100 miles on it due to California getting hit by serious rain.

Looking forward to getting more seat time!

Old 01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
I traded my 03 MC to a 06MCS, love the power and the solid feel it has.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Well, I started this thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to report to you that POISON (see Gallery) and I have been happily together since Dec. 29.

This thing ROCKS! Unbelievable! (However, there is only 300 km, or about 200 mi., so the proof is yet to be fully realized).

However, an MCS with factory JCW is wonderful! I can't drive it enough. This is my 2nd MINI, so I did have high expectations. The differences between the '03 MCS and the '06 are mainly in the tightness, lack of rattles, lotsa little light thingys on the inside, and the smoothness, although some of that might be the JCW.

Of note is that the reduction pulley in the JCW (at 13.8%, compared to the Randy Webb installed Alta pulley (15%), is much quieter. I don't hear the supercharger whine like in the '03, but that might come once I can rev past 4500!

More later, but this is, once again, a real driver's car.

=R=

Old 01-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
Y'all are making me want to trade my 03 for an 06 even more.

:impatient What to do!?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rygold
. I'm happy to report to you that POISON (see Gallery) and I have been happily together since Dec. 29.
I like the way the checkmate pack looks with the steelies. What wheels are you putting on come summer?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:53 AM
rygold
5th Gear
Hey DiD:

The checkmate package comes with wheels they call "flame spokes". They're pretty cool, and will show off the JCW red brake calipers very nicely!

You can see them here:

http://motortrend.com/autoshows/cove...ry/index3.html

=R=

Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
over 1350 miles and I absolutely love my car! no real problems to report... just some user error in relation to starting the car... other than that everything is perfect!

Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1650 miles, no problems (except who is going to drive it) and past it's first DIY oil change, YEAH...

Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 AM
docjohnboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered my '06 MC (my first MINI) last week. Reading forums here and for AtlantaMINIS and living vicariously until it arrives.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rygold
Hey DiD:

The checkmate package comes with wheels they call "flame spokes".
Cool. I wasn't sure if you'd kept those or not after seeing the steelies.

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!