R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:09 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
250 miles, 6 days. A true joy, for the $$$ its hard to imagine a better automobile.

Negatives, brake pedal feel, location of the computer switch and perhaps the toggle nature of the high beams. Oh and the weather sucks around here.

Positives? Too many to list, but the highlights are the 6 speed box, steering feel, solidity of the body structure and the utterly amazing relaxed torqueyness of the 1.6. Pretty good in snow.

Looming problems on the horizon? Must resist modifications, must resist modifications, must resist...

Old 01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We traded our AB/B 04 MCS for a CR/B 06 MCS last week. We made the switch for the LSD and the revised gearing and so far are really happy with the new car. I've found about 50 changes in the 06 and most all of them are for the better. The two main complaints are the lack of a Mode button on the steering wheel and the lack of an Off button on the climate control. Other than that the new car has been better than we expected.

Here's a cellphone pic of it. I'll take more when (if?) it stops raining.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
SashaSolitaire
3rd Gear
3000 miles...

and loving every minute of it.....

The more we drive, the more we love this car. . Absolutely no problems till now.

Now that's worrying, coz I was eyeing that used M3!!!!!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
... and the lack of an Off button on the climate control
Just FYI - - If you are referring to the optional Automatic AC, you CAN completely turn OFF the climate control system by press&holding the - (minus) part of the FAN Speed button until the fan speed drops to one below the minimum setting, at which time the display will go blank, the fan shuts off and the Recirculation intake in the passenger footwell opens automatically. This ensures that no external air gets in and no fan is running at all.

Pressing ANY climate control button will then turn the system back on.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Thanks, I just wish it had a single push button to turn it off.

Anyone know how to make the defroster run on a fan speed less than full blast?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 PM
startmaster
Neutral
I picked mine up two days before Christmas. It's been a BLAST. No problems at all w/3k on it(ANGUS). Maybe I'm getting old , but it's a non S, but is quick enough as is, plus 32 mpg. Hyper Blue, white roof , chrome mirrors, and Xenons. As a kid I used to have a 65 Chev P/U and every time I said anything good about it, something would break. I hope I have'nt jinxed myself!

Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Love my 06. Two small problems - roof leaks occasionally in really hard rain, and there are two useless buttons on the steering wheel! I hate useless buttons! No one told me about them until after I picked up my car. They're for the "bluetooth" phone option - an option that doesn't even exist yet! They'd be cool if they worked - one switches from radio to phone; the other picks up the phone. Basically like having a built-in bluetooth handsfree unit. Would have bought it if it was available, but it's not. But the buttons are there.

Oh - also, anyone else annoyed that the tach dial and three steering wheel arms are silver in an anthracite body interior? Should be anthracite like the speedo.

But I'm nitpicking - everything else is amazing about this car.l

Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckyTLC
Love my 06. Two small problems - roof leaks occasionally in really hard rain, and there are two useless buttons on the steering wheel! I hate useless buttons! No one told me about them until after I picked up my car. They're for the "bluetooth" phone option - an option that doesn't even exist yet! They'd be cool if they worked - one switches from radio to phone; the other picks up the phone. Basically like having a built-in bluetooth handsfree unit. Would have bought it if it was available, but it's not. But the buttons are there.

The blue tooth option is available... but it is sort of a ripoff how much they charge for it.

love my 06 PW/B MCS!

Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjmann
Negatives, brake pedal feel, location of the computer switch and perhaps the toggle nature of the high beams. Oh and the weather sucks around here.
I retract my comment on the brakes. Just the seals taking a little longer than expected to stop sucking the pistons back into the calipers. Feel is much firmer now, not Porsche standards mind you, but good. I'll substitute windshield wipers and the cars ability to attract every last bit of sand and road salt instead. Something about the aerodynamics of this car seems to get it really filthy quickly.

Over 400 miles now and really its only getting better and better. So far one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned, I've owned a lot of 'em.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
My 2006 arrives in the second week of Feb!

Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Picked up my '06 MC 12/23 & just passed the 1250 mi break-in. Very pleased with the car - it is not fast but it is "quick." Wanted to have a light weight, good handling fun-to-drive high mpg car and that is what I got. With a lot of mixed driving and varying revs during break-in, 28.5, 31.5, & 30.5 mpg. Build quality so far is excellent - body structure tight as a drum. Love the piano dash, the 5speed getrag, the ride quality and even the 15 in. holeys. At first, I wished for a 6sp. to get a low rpm cruisng gear, but the engine is so smooth and quiet even at 80 mph & nearly 4K rpm, I really don't care.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
Anyone know how to make the defroster run on a fan speed less than full blast?
Press the up arrow. You can then adjust the fan speed and temp and you can use the down arrow in conjunction with it.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:01 PM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JRZYMINI
The blue tooth option is available... but it is sort of a ripoff how much they charge for it.
Yes, but it wasn't available when I ordered my car...

Old 01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chuckyTLC
Yes, but it wasn't available when I ordered my car...
Don't quote me but i believe it is also a dealer option. If you're really interested, i remember there was a thread from about a month ago where people talked about what bluetooth options are available (factory and aftermarket).

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
saakey
5th Gear
my '06 is on order!...so i guess I'm not an offical '06 owner yet ..but I will be soon

Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
Picked up my Solar Red/Silver MC on satuday, been motoring whenever I can.

Here's my fav pic of the car thus far.

Click red text in sig for more.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 RG/RG MCS (prem | cold | LSD | HK | Xenon)

Ordered by my wife right after thanksgiving...she sure suprised me christmas morning!

I sold my DIY turbo miata to get this car. I had driven an S when they first came out, and i remember saying that if i ever sold my miata (which i would never do) it would be for this car. Well, once we took an S coupe out for a test drive when we were looking for my wife's, i KNEW there was no way we could only have one of these!

so far, so good. Picked it up last wed night, so far has 400 miles on it. No huge surprises, as we picked up my Wife's 05 MCSa in september, so it is quite similar. Differences are: i have the RG, manual, LSD, rear fog & dark headliner. She has after market rims and i will be getting mine soon.

The manual is a little more "brighter", has an easier time revving, etc. Plus the manual burbles a LOT more than the auto....and i like it!

Only issue is that i think i have a little belt noise...i'll have the deal look at that soon.

I have bronze rims on the way, autometer gauges and an alta intake waiting. I'll do a pulley, not sure on the size yet. After that, a one-ball & a rear sway...done!

Ok, it's dirty and still has stock rims, but here are some initial shots:

Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ravana
Picked up my Solar Red/Silver MC on satuday, been motoring whenever I can.

Here's my fav pic of the car thus far.

Click red text in sig for more.
Very nice. That's the first time I have seen the silver roof with the sunroof and solar red without the bonnet stripes. Looks good.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
Thanks, we need a Solar Power Unite thread in MINI Talk now.

Every other color has it's own thread.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:59 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
those solar reds are so freaking hot....

If it were offered with silver on the MCS i would have have a VERY hard time...

-jac

Old 01-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
those solar reds are so freaking hot....

If it were offered with silver on the MCS i would have have a VERY hard time...

-jac
wanna trade body panels?

Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 PM
MINIDEQUEENS
1st Gear
i have a 2006 MCS in Royal Grey, its my first MINI though.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 PM
eggSF
1st Gear
Took delivery of my first MINI on Thursday 5/18. Love the car. First thing I did was remove the cup holder. Installed the Euro parcel shelf and AUX connector which had been sitting in its box for 3 weeks until the car arrived. I love the night-time orange LED lighting for the handles and center console. Actually I love everything about the car.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Owners Report In!-151425181_96965f0a68.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 AM
jamesbopp
1st Gear
BBopp

Sold my 02 VR/W Cooper(CVT) and took delivery of a PH/B MCSa Convertible. Man what a car - 25 April - 22 May 1525 miles - runs like a scalded dog.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Pretty amazing. Three months, two thousand miles.....haven't been back to the dealer. My '06 is so much better than my '02 in so many ways that it's hard to believe. Glad I had to pull the trigger before the '07 turbo hits the showroom floor. I absolutely love that supercharger whine!

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!