R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Owners Report In!

Hey MINIacs:

After 3 solid years with my LY/B 03 MCS, with Randy Webb installed Alta intake, pulley and Nology Hot Wires, we're parting company.

On it's way, and set to arrive within a couple of weeks is an AB/S 06 MCS Checkmate JCW. I can't wait!

Have any of you taken delivery of one of these babies yet? Is it a replacement for an earlier MINI? If so, what can you share?

Regardless of whether it's your second MINI, or your first, report in! MINIacs world over are waiting for the first driver reviews of these beasts.

I heard they rock......!

=R=

Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2003 MCS and we now have a 2006 Cooper for my wife.

All in all, the 2006 model feels much more solid and the little interior and exterior enhancements make for a much nicer motoring experience.

If my MCS wasn't paid for and running strong, I'd love to upgrade to a new one but at the same time, a MINI is a MINI and I love them all!

Old 12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Love my 06

Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
No problems. No rattles-nothing at 3,000 miles or so.. Nothing bad. And dare I say that I am loving the CVT !!!

Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
'02 MCS to '06 MC. No regrets.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
SB
6th Gear
03 to an 06 MCS. Nice changes in the interior. Less rattles but sometimes I miss my 03. The rattles and few imperfections of my 03 gave it character. Yucca is right though. A MINI is a MINI.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Vento9
3rd Gear
Nothing but smiles in my '06

Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Ha-Z-Boy
1st Gear
I'll let you know how I like mine when it gets here! It's currently waiting for a boat ride!

Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
JCWgurl and myself have 3300 kms on our 2006 AB/S JCW and are loving every minute we are in the car, except the front wipers suck. It's fast (0-60 in 5.72) and immense fun to drive. Other than the wiper issue, the only problem is that we fight over who gets to drive it and what to name it-she calls him Zeus but I don't like it, I prefer Spike.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my first MINI, so I can't compare, but I am very pleased. Yes, PPE, I too have the CVT. Bought the CVT for my wife, but I have to confess, I really like it. Don't shift when you don't want to, but play with the gears when you want to have fun.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:17 AM
saakey
5th Gear
nice!...and i like your color choice

and i'm just waiting to order mine..want it to come when Spring arrives…I don’t want to be temped to drive it in the winter/salt/snow crap

Old 12-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
06 MCS, love it (it's my first MINI). Have a few small rattles, but I think that's because it's been in the teens at night so everything in the dash has contracted.

I've got just over 3000 miles. So far I've removed the rear seats and replaced with a cargo board, added the euro shelf, and an auto window up kit. I think that the only other mod I might do anytime soon is adding an IPod cable. I had an IceLink in my Audi, and already purchased the BMW/MINI IPod kit, but have been waiting to install it since the word is that the new kit may have text on the head unit.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:49 AM
findude
4th Gear
we like ours

We picked up our 06 MCS about 3 weeks ago and are about 600 miles in (we were out of town for a week--we will normally drive more).

We love it. It is our first MINI, and even our first 2-door car. Our thinking was to get a sports car that was a blast to drive but could seat 4 in a pinch and wouldn't cost too much. The MCS fit the bill.

So far all of our issues have been trivial and essentially due to the learning curve of a new car (like accidentally opening the windows with the key buttons and things like that).

It does have a rattle somewhere on the right side of the interior. The dealer could not duplicate it, but it is definitely there. It is not related to the speakers, so something else is going on. We'll sort it out.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
I absolutely love my 06! I'll go over 500 miles today and every time I'm in the car I fall back in love with it. I still feel like someone is going to take the keys away!

The earliest I drove was the 05 I test drove in august... so I don't have experience with the pre-05's but I thoroughly love all the little things that they did including the little details with the lights and such. I can't imagine an 03 or 04 would be any less fun though!

Old 12-13-2005, 07:52 AM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
06 MCS, love it (it's my first MINI). Have a few small rattles, but I think that's because it's been in the teens at night so everything in the dash has contracted.

I've got just over 3000 miles. So far I've removed the rear seats and replaced with a cargo board, added the euro shelf, and an auto window up kit. I think that the only other mod I might do anytime soon is adding an IPod cable. I had an IceLink in my Audi, and already purchased the BMW/MINI IPod kit, but have been waiting to install it since the word is that the new kit may have text on the head unit.
Not to hijack...but still a bit....

Is your cargo board homemade or purchased? Any pix?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Me, me, me... WHOOPS..., I mean US, 3 weeks now , no issues yet other than who gets to drive it. Just clocked 21 MPG (figured the ole fashioned way, mileage/gas) and have about 750 miles on it. Next week is a road trip to pick MOM up for XMAS, interested in what the hywy MPG will be.

Played with one of those new Lotus's [Loti??] today. He wanted to pass illegally twice and was surprised when he got blocked and I still stayed out of HIS WAY, nice acceleration NOW.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by andromcs
Not to hijack...but still a bit....

Is your cargo board homemade or purchased? Any pix?

Thanks.
I do need to take some pix, I'll get around to that soon.

It's just a home made, 1/4 plywood board. I added a 6 inch "lip" on the leading edge to prevent things from sliding forward. Found some cheap black car interior carpet and covered it. I think it looks good. It is mostly for the dog, but I've found that it is a nice place to put bags, or coats, or cargo.

On the underside I mounted a 2 by 4 with large cutouts to fit over the mounting points on the leading edge of the seat cushion. This keeps the board from sliding around. I put hinge on the back so that I can lift the board up and stash stuff under in the bucket seat areas.

Prior to putting on the carpet, I used a clear wood sealer to hopefully prevent any water damage or the like. Put on about three coats.

This is a rough idea of how it fits in. I can swap the seat back in about 10 minutes if I want to.

Front of Car
| ..............................................|
..\........................................... /
....\....................................... /
.....\ ..................................../
.....---------[hinge]------------
...| ......................................|
...| .........Rear cover ..............|
...|.......................................|
...-----------------------------

Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Beemer Guy
2nd Gear
Well, this is my first mini (although I've had lots of BMWs). I'm in my third week, rapidly approaching 500 miles and no problems other than an occasional engine stumble around 2800 RPM. I put in Ian's auto-up and wired up my garage door opener as a button in the empty rear defogger slot, bought some conventional tyres for it, and bought some driving lights which I probably won't bother installing (changed my mind). Or maybe I will.

So far, it's fun, the wipers are not the greatest but I've got no complaints with anything else. First tank gave me 28 MPG and I'm driving nothing but city miles on the second tank, so we'll see how that goes. Anxiously awaiting 1501 miles so that I can start using that right pedal all the way!

Michael

Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 AM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
I do need to take some pix, I'll get around to that soon.

It's just a home made, 1/4 plywood board. I added a 6 inch "lip" on the leading edge to prevent things from sliding forward. Found some cheap black car interior carpet and covered it. I think it looks good. It is mostly for the dog, but I've found that it is a nice place to put bags, or coats, or cargo.

On the underside I mounted a 2 by 4 with large cutouts to fit over the mounting points on the leading edge of the seat cushion. This keeps the board from sliding around. I put hinge on the back so that I can lift the board up and stash stuff under in the bucket seat areas.

Prior to putting on the carpet, I used a clear wood sealer to hopefully prevent any water damage or the like. Put on about three coats.

This is a rough idea of how it fits in. I can swap the seat back in about 10 minutes if I want to.

Front of Car
..\........................................... /
....\....................................... /
.....\ ..................................../
.....---------[hinge]------------
...| ......................................|
...| .........Rear cover ..............|
...|.......................................|
...-----------------------------
Thanks for the words and design!

I am hesitant to carry heavier items in the back of my MCS as I have to place them on the folded seats. I play bass and once in a while it would be great to use the MCS to carry my stuff instead of always having to pull-out the SUV. Your idea would make it ideal for me.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
JOSS
Neutral
2006 Mcs

Got mine few weeks ago -love it ....

Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Picked my '06 up on saturday!

Traded my '02 PW/B Cooper for a '06 SR/S that I picked up saturday.

So far I'm really liking the changes 4 years of refinement have brought !

Old 12-13-2005, 03:17 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That MINI has a strange familiarity about it.

Welcome to the Solar Red / Silver / Silver Bonnet Stripe club Jimbo.

Dave

Old 12-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Littleburl
2nd Gear
3 Days and Counting !!!!

Pickedup Buddha on Saturday. I have put roughly 10 miles on him whereas the misses has enjoyed every last mile she has put on (100 +).

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Took delivery of my MCS on Dec 1 so its a little less than 2 weeks for me! I'm loving it! Nothing to complain about at just over 300. This is my first Mini but I have driven a friends 2003 MCS and the different gear ratios in the 06 seem to make a big difference at low rpms.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Traded my '02 PW/B Cooper for a '06 SR/S that I picked up saturday.

So far I'm really liking the changes 4 years of refinement have brought !
Nice new MC ... I have an 03 and possibly thinking about an 06 ... since you had an older model too ... what are the specific refinements you mentioned that are a standout?

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 Owners Report In!