R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is CARB coming your way? The answer could be yes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is CARB coming your way? The answer could be yes...

Saw this on another board and thought some of you might be interested..

=====

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/3...2009-144858.php

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/i...ards-122236.php

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin...auto-287876.htm

=====

Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington are expected to adopt the policies of the CARBies today, following the lead of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont in adopting California’s set of stringent emissions standards, putting the number of states under the California Air Resources Board’s authority by 2009. The combined 11 will make up 33% of the United States’ automotive market, which gives the Golden State’s agency a truly unique power.

While some groups are saying that this will pressure the Feds to adopt more stringent standards, we’re not so sure. What it will do is pressure automakers into making cleaner cars across the board by creating a share of the market too large to simply ignore, as well as push speed-parts manufacturers to pursue CARB certification. Listening, Audi? Now if CARB could just do something about the gunk pumped out of the ships and trucks at the Ports of LA and Long Beach, we’d be happy campers.

=====

Oregon and Washington have something to say; they’re gonna say it now, for now is today: they’re planning to follow California’s stringent pollution control laws, making the entire Western Seaboard (hey, if the East’s got a Seaboard, why can’t the West?) its own little anti-emissions bloc. Automotive lobbyists are in a tizzy about this, and especially about Cali’s extra-strict new smog laws. On the other coast, six states are also contemplating the implementation of California standards, the first time any Eastern state has publicly adopted anything Californian since Soleil Moon Frye.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:22 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that hard to believe with old Geoge W B at the helm.He dosnt seem to be too interested in the environment going by his track record.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Strom
4th Gear
The Federal Government doesn't have much of a choice. The CARB standards are more stringent than the Federal ones, so there's no conflict with the Federal Government.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:38 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so what? if they adopt them, i'm still not gonna follow them!

just like our ohio Echeck. just make it pass the test, then take it all off again.

they wont stop me in my search for the horsepower in my car!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Strom
4th Gear
You can definitely bypass the laws - it just takes time (and money, if you're not good with a wrench).

Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Well, at some point all people will have to be concerned with the air quality. More and more children have asthma and older people have real trouble as a result of all the crud released into the air - its not just some environmental concern that doesn't affect people (and it doesn't stay in one place either.

Cars aren't the only cause, and I think trucking companies, industrial polluters etc, should be much more accountable - but having manufacturers take part in making cars pollute less is a good thing. Take a look at some heavily populated countries that have not watched air quality and you can see that quality of health and life is sacrificed.

I know it sounds daunting but I hope other car enthusiasts in the states and elsewhere can accept and even embrace CARB standards - it doesn't stop you from having and enjoying all sorts of cars and the alternative is just sad.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Old 12-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
now I could be wrong but CARB approved doesn't mean cleaner... isn't the ALTA intake not CARB approved? What does that mean? more air = bad???

Do i care about CARB...
no

Do I care about performance
yes

If people are so concerned about CARB this and CARB thatmove to a state that requires CARB

but in TN... if your car runs, put it on the road and the cops dont care as long as you have signals, brakes, a plate and insurance if you get stopped.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean air standards aren't bad...

And right now, the Mini is a 50 state car, so it's already complying. CA is the largest car market in the US, so it's not ignored already. And not-so-redandwhite, complying with clean air and power is easy, doing with CA exempt parts isn't. I'm not to **** on following the law, but you can make great power without getting rid of cat, and while I may bolt on non-exempt parts, I'll always be running a "clean" car. There's just no reason not to!

It's not so bad, you can create a smog leagal CA exempt 450-500HP 4.6 liter mod motor.

I'm all for more stringent air laws. I'm even for higher cafe standards. Let's push the technology for clean power. For the deisel stuff, we have to wait until the low sulpher fuel in 07 or 08. The sulpher fouls the catalytic converters......

Matt

Old 12-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Strom
4th Gear
CARB regulates things besides cars as well.

See: http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm