R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Uh-oh, leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:36 PM
azuul
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh-oh, leaking coolant

So, I am at the bank making a (small) deposit, and all of a sudden my temperature gauge goes from normal temperature to overheated in less than 2 seconds. I take a look under the hood and there's no smoke. I decide to drive home and when I turn off the car the fan keeps running. Hmmm. I called the MINI Center and had Azuul towed to MINI to check the coolant. I did notice a leak, so hopefully not too much damage.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:39 AM
drdave
3rd Gear
I noticed that my expansion tank has been leaking so I made an appointment to have it replaced on 12/16. My car was not overheating but the expansion tank was empty. It should have only taken 15 minutes but it wound up being over an hour. The service tech told me that my water pump seal was leaking and since there was a loss of enough fluid it caused the expansion tank to break at the seam. That was going to take 2 1/2 hours but I did not have enough time that day to wait. I took it back on 12/23 and they completed the work. 4 1/2 hours later I was on the road home. When I got home I still smelled coolant burning. I popped the hood and noticed that they had spilled some coolant in the engine bay while filling. No big deal so I cleaned the engine. While doing this I noticed that my front drivers side wheel had a scrape on it. This was not there before taking it to the dealer so I called them. They said that they could repair it on any Tuesday when there wheel guy is in the shop. There is no way I make that since I work and live 100 miles away.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:15 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
azuul - this has happened to me too. While there are several potential causes the most likely involves the power steering pump (?!). The dealer will track it down ...but its a fairly common issue.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Al Darko
Banned
Originally Posted by azuul
So, I am at the bank making a (small) deposit, and all of a sudden my temperature gauge goes from normal temperature to overheated in less than 2 seconds. I take a look under the hood and there's no smoke. I decide to drive home and when I turn off the car the fan keeps running. Hmmm. I called the MINI Center and had Azuul towed to MINI to check the coolant. I did notice a leak, so hopefully not too much damage.
Just curious is your MINI a 2002? I had the same problem with my coolant tank, seems that is is a fairly common issue with the early models. I had mine replaced under warranty but they replaced it with another plastic one....I plan on getting the aluminum one if this one goes again...

Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 AM
azuul
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ozbone
azuul - this has happened to me too. While there are several potential causes the most likely involves the power steering pump (?!). The dealer will track it down ...but its a fairly common issue.
Hope so, but luckily, I did get a loaner yesterday afternoon. They promised me a MINI, but the person who had it before me did not turn it in. So, I now am driving an X5. While I am happy to have a BMW, I just wish the cars they loaned were not so big. Last time I drove a Dodge Durango.

Anyway, if I guess right, I'll have the X5 for at least a week.