R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Finally Ordered DS/DS MCS Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006 | 05:24 PM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Finally Ordered DS/DS MCS Light

Long time lurker here. Learned a tremendous amount searching and reading various threads. I follow about a dozen car forums, and this one has to be one of the most valuable and professional.

Ordered a DS/DS MCS yesterday. Here are the specs:

All stock except for:

Cold Weather package
DSC
Limited Slip
Anthracite Dash and Headliner
Xenons
Rear and Front Fogs

Opted for the gray/black leatherette.

Stayed with the standard 16 v spoke and all seasons. I'll probably look aftermarket at tirerack or somewhere at some point.

I also passed on the bonnets. I love the stripes, but prefer to go with something a little more unique from cooperflags or mighty stripes. I searched the well known "ds is the best thread" and there weren't really many pictures of bonnet options. Does anyone have any nice pictures, doesn't have to be ds, of some of the aftermarket stripes? In particular I like the offset/drivers edge stripes, followed by the viper and shelby styles. The frost option at cooperflags looks cool too, but i'd love to see some good pictures beyond their gallery.

Decided at the last minute against the HK stereo. Too scared about some of the info I've read when you want to change out the head unit. I actually opted for the cassette player rather than std cd unit (no diff in price). I have my ipod running through my cassette player in my daily driver and the sound is actually very good using a line out adapter from monster that also recharges the ipod. I figured at least i know right out of the gate i'll be able to ipod the vehicle, and this buys me some time to look at aftermarket solutions for the head unit and ipod (dension, harmon kardon, etc.)

Should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. Interestingly, when the salesman went in to their system to order the car, he came up with a ds/ds that had already made their dealership allocation, and he was able to re-spec and take that car for me. Has anyone had this happen to them? I tried to get out of him whether this meant it could be more like 4 to 6 weeks, but he was close to the vest. He said I had about 7 to 10 days to make a change to the specs if I wanted to.

I'm interested in any comments/feedback/pictures as requested above, etc. And thanks again for all the valuable info many of you have provided over various threads. I'm looking forward to becoming a full fledged member upon delivery, and I'm sure I'll have quite a few more questions.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:47 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Welcome

I lurked here myself for a couple of years learning about these great little cars. Yours sounds very nice. With the exception of the DSC, headliner & exterior color mine is the same as yours. A MCS lite, I like that. I'd suggest getting the radio with the cd. Your ipod is easily hooked up to it & you don't lose the mp3 cd player. Good luck with the wait. You might also want to pick up one of Ian Cull's AutoUp circuits with track mode to help control the DSC electro nanny. I've got one & it's great.

http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml#interested

My car was a dealer alocation that was changed to my spec's. Mine was black, but I changed it to HB/W. I like the color of your car, but it can be changed too if you'd like. My wait was 5 weeks, but the MA told me it would be 8.

Chuck

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:50 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Congrats on the new MINI!!

and there is NO difference in the H/K headunit... only software difference....
the H/K is SOOO worth it! even for the average human! same with the CD player...

Old 01-23-2006 | 06:40 PM
C4
Banned
Do you listen to audio tapes?? If you don't, then switch back to the standard CD player stereo. Cassette tapes are a yesteryear technology, why bother?

Just my opinion. Nice spec otherwise. Get the H/K stereo. Worth every penny.

Old 01-24-2006 | 04:11 AM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the feedback all. On the stereo, its not that I ever listen to cassettes any more. But my current Ipod solution, while a bit far from wireless, comprises this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance

And the results are terrific sound, much better than an FM transmitter, and the Ipod is accessible and thus easy to change. I like that part in particular. So the logic behind going with the cassette was to be able to implement this solution asap in the Mini, and buy myself some time until i figure out a more permanent solution. The latter will likely mean putting in a new head unit.

Crashton, when you say my ipod is easily hooked up to the CD unit, how are you envisioning?

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2006 | 06:33 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
rb, your MINI will be nearly just like mine... except mine's an '02! Except I bought the MINI driving lights (and LOVE them!) And I too was also able to jump on one already in the pipeline... of course that was in '02. I never added any stripes... the design is great w/o them and I wax my MCS so often, I'm glad not to have the stripes to deal with.

I'm rambling, but anyway, if you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you're in for a great time!

Old 01-24-2006 | 09:58 AM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Thanks Cooper Beagle. I went into your gallery but didn't see pictures of the DS/DS? It's funny, DS is pretty rare around my part of CT, but the day after I ordered it, I was in a big shopping plaza parking lot and what do I see but a DS/DS. It was very dirty, but I was at least able to show my kids what dad's will look like.

I hear you on the stripes. I'm still torn, and may just go without to start. I do like some of the aftermarket options quite a bit though....

Old 01-24-2006 | 11:30 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
After 3.5 years of a ds/w with white bonnet stripes, I ordered a ds/ds and will be adding white Shelby stripes to the bonnet, roof, boot and r. bumper .....from Aesthetic Creations. If you enter either shelby stripes or
viper stripes in 'Search this Forum' it will bring up threads where you can see cars with stripe variants. Look under both Mini Talk and Exterior Mods.

Old 01-24-2006 | 02:37 PM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Herby 74, thanks, I will do that search. I like the sounds of yours, and i particularly like the shelby stripe look. I almost opted for the white roof with the ds, but ended up in your camp.

Old 01-24-2006 | 02:57 PM
C4
Banned
The problem with your approach regarding the stereo is that if you opt for either the AUX input cable or the MINI iPod adaptor or the ICE Dension Icelink Plus, you'll be stuck with a cassette deck and not able to play CDs if you ever wish to do so. You will either have to swap the HU for a CD player one or get a trunk mounted 6 CD disc player, both of which are not cost effective solutions.

Ordering a stereo around an iPod cassette deck adaptor doesn't seem to be practical or cost effective IMHO.

If I were you, I would switch the order back to the stereo CD Boost headunit and decide from now what adaptor will work best for you. In the worst case scenario, if you decide to get the AUX input cable, you would have spent $40, have good sound quality from the iPod and retain a more useful CD player versus an archaic tape deck.

Sorry about my persistence, but I just don't follow your logic of getting a cassette Headunit for it to be later reaplaced by a CD player HU. That's going to cost more money in the end.

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:05 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
Yeah I agree. Put it this way... You were willing at one time to spend 20 bucks on a cassette adapter to listen to your iPod. Spend 40 now and you will ahve a MUCH better solution as far as sound and versatility.

Although i cant recomment a dock connector adapter more. If not the BMW one then the Neo ion (http://mp3yourcar.com)
The sound is lightyears better than the aux input even and gives you an extra aux input as well as the iPod dock connector if you get the Neo. Install yourself and its only 150$

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:06 PM
C4
Banned
I have had 2 iPod connection solutions in both of my MCS:

2004 MCS with H/K CD player: AUX input cable. a $40 solution that works fairly well and cheap too. Easiest installation. ipod connects via male RCA cable to the headphone jack. Negatives: Can not control iPod from steering wheel and you have to get a separate charger for the iPod, thus creating more cable clutter.

2005 MCS with H/K CD Player: MINI OEM iPod adaptor. $150+ solution, works really well. iPod connection is done from the actual iPod dock connector = better sound quality, ability to FULLY control iPod from steering wheel controls or stereo HU. Five playlists are loaded into each one of the stereo memory preset buttons for easy access. Adaptor automatically charges iPod while it is connected. Clean, Transparent and clean solution. No one will ever know you are running an iPod in your car. Negatives: When you plug the iPod you no longer have access to the clickwheel or screen menus as the iPod goes into "External control mode". You can not see id Tag names for songs uploaded to the stereo preset buttons (Playlists).

Dension Ice Link Plus: Similar to MINI iPod adaptor solution, but adds ability to see song id Tags in stereo as long as your MINI was built on or after January 2005. The installation and reliability of the Dension ICE Link tends to be on the flaky side. Some people still swear by it.

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:14 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
i would get the ice link if you could control from the steering wheel.... you cant, correct?

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:20 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by earthtoandy
i would get the ice link if you could control from the steering wheel.... you cant, correct?
Both, the MINI OEM iPod adaptor and the Dension ICE Link Plus allow full control of the iPod from the optional steering wheel mounted stereo buttons.

For folks that don't have the factory "Multi-function steering wheel" installed, I recommend the cheaper route and get the $40 AUX input jack. To me it is a moot point to spend extra money on the OEM or Dension adaptors if your MINI does not have the steering wheel buttons, which is the #1 reason to get the OEM or Dension solutions in the first place.

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:23 PM
earthtoandy
3rd Gear
ah I see... I may have to look at the denison because of the tags.... that or the neo i posted.

i still think the dock connector adapters are worth going for because of the quality difference.

Old 01-24-2006 | 03:49 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
No sport package?! I love it as well as the Chrono pack....my HK is great!

Old 01-24-2006 | 04:02 PM
C4
Banned
He's got everything that comes in the "Sport package" (A la Carte), except the heavy 17" tires/wheels and the bonnet stripes. I applaud his decision to stick with the 16" V-spokes instead.

Old 01-24-2006 | 05:59 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Me too. Love those 16" silver v-spokes! HK wasn't available when I bought my first Mini. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 01-24-2006 | 06:37 PM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Great feedback everyone. Seriously reconsidering the cassette choice. Need to digest your comments above. Printed a few good threads out of the audio forum too that should help me.

C4 hit it right on the head -- i wanted to stick with the 16's, didn't want the extra weight of the sport tires (as much as i think they look pretty cool, along with the r99's).

Hey C4, is your name a reference to the C4 vette? I'm also a closet vette fan and debated long and hard between a vette and the mini. Why the mini you ask? Because it really boiled down to what was more drivable for me around my area of CT. I doubt I would have gotten the vette out of second gear much on my commute, and if I did, surely a ticket was to be had.

Old 01-25-2006 | 05:15 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Nice spec!

I too used to think the H-K stereo wasn't that important... but for quite awhile it was the only MINI stero I had experience with (car was bought off the floor). Then we got a loaner with the standard stereo... all of a sudden, the extra $ for the H-K didn't seem so bad.

The other "must-have" option not mentioned is the MFSW for the cruise control. Even if you think you'll never use it, get it anyway if only for future resale value. Personally, a modern car w/o cruise control will not be bought by me... and it annoys me that the MINI does not come with it as std equipment.

Old 01-25-2006 | 06:59 AM
C4
Banned
Rbcody: I like Corvettes but never owned one myself My screen name actually is the shortened version of "Cooper4us", hence "C4". I think Corvettes are great cars and enjoy looking at both the classics "Stingrays, etc" and the new models. The current C6 and upcoming Z01 are absolutely fantastic. Why buy a Porsche when you can get a world class sports car for mucho less?

IanF is right. Order the Cruise control/Remote stereo control buttons in your steering wheel. A fairly inexpensive and highly sought after option in the MINI, both new and used. For $300 you are going to add a world of convenience/comfort if you ever take the car on a long road trip. Also if you opt for one of the iPod adaptors in the market, you will be able to control volume, track skipping, fast/rear search all from your steering wheel without you having to take your hands away from it.

The MINI' factory stereo HU has tiny small buttons that otherwise require you to take your hands and eyes away from driving and the stereo is mounted rather low in the center stack. For 2005, MINI increased the size of the power/volume ****, but that doesn't completely solve the ergonomic issues of the factory Alpine stereo. Here is where the MFSW option makes it all worth it, plus the buttons are illuminated at night in soft orange glow!

Old 01-25-2006 | 07:01 AM
C4
Banned
Also, there are some MINI owners that also happen to be Corvette owners (Prior or current) here in NAM.

To me it is incredible how many people crossshop the MINI and the Corvette. That says a lot of the handling capabilities and performance potential of our little cars!

Old 01-25-2006 | 09:08 AM
Beemer Guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Also, there are some MINI owners that also happen to be Corvette owners (Prior or current) here in NAM.

To me it is incredible how many people crossshop the MINI and the Corvette. That says a lot of the handling capabilities and performance potential of our little cars!
I've had two C4's and one C5 Corvette. Let me tell you, there is nothing similiar between the cars. One is a high horsepower monster with horrible seats, laughable safety (plastic body panels ) stupid, stupid, stupid unreliable electronics and poor build quality with really lousy interior plastic. The other is a well engineered, solidly built, relatively safe car with a peppy engine, great seats, basically robust electronics and well assembled with nice quality interior materials. That said, the mini cannot hold a candle to the balance and handling of the Corvette. Sorry, it's FWD, and there's no comparison.

To the original poster of this thread - I'm with most everyone here; stay with the CD player and get an ipod adapter. I personally went with the H/K because I could not forsee getting an aftermarket system down the road (for more money than the upgrade) and losing the steering wheel controls.

And Dark Silver RULES!

Michael

Old 01-25-2006 | 10:39 AM
rbcody
|
1st Gear
Ok, I'm convinced on changing the head unit to cd rather than cassette. Still on the fence on whether to HK or not, and leaning toward the MFSW also based on the feedback. Again, thanks, I truly appreciate the practical views of current owners.

Question on the Auxiliary input: Do I have any downside to getting this for 40 bucks -- e.g., it doesn't prohibit any other type of Ipod connection down the road, right? The ice link connects to the cd changer connection in the boot, right, so this would be effected? I guess I'm just wondering does the aux plug into the head unit in the place of something else or the cd changer control?

To give you some audio perspective, my current daily driver is an infiniti with the bose 6 cd changer and cassete combined head unit. (i'm using the ipod solution I linked up above). but i'm more interested in anyone who would be able to compare the HK to the Bose in an infiniti? I know, I know -- I should just go listen to the two side by side, but who has the time to do that with kids, work, et al. I was lucky my wife let me carve out a few hours on a Saturday to go order the thing.....

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2006 | 12:49 PM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
looks like a real nice spec... almost the same as mine except for the color.
06 MCS, HB/W Cold weather, DSC, LSD, F&R fogs, MFSW, Xenons, HB dash and doors, light colored headliner.

The MFSW is a MUST!! it's so nice to just use that rather than messing with the controls which are a bit of a reach. I would also probably go with the HK if I had to do it all again. I didn't get it because I'm planning on upgrading completely... but the stock system takes a bit of dialing in to get it to sound passable. Another thing you may not know is that the CD headunit will play MP3 data cd's... allowing you a few hundred songs right out of the bat without an ipod connection.

you'll love the grey leatherette seats. check my gallery as I took a few good pictures of that to show what they look like. I couldn't really find any good pictures when I was speccing. I preferred the light grey headliner, but obviously color choices are entirely subjective. one thing you may want to keep in mind is to ask for the grey rubber floor mats... they look GREAT with the grey/black seats!

congrats on your mini!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Finally Ordered DS/DS MCS Light