R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
domc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thameth
MANY cars have Auto-up BMW's included. It just usually required a pinch sensor as to not hurt people who stick their hands in the way of the window as it goes up. For some reason MINI went and put a lot of plush features into the MINI but couldn't put in a 3 dollar sensor...
You can turn that feature on with this gadget:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/01/03/t...cuit-reviewed/

http://www.mcaw.info/

I believe this feature is not available in the U.S. because of liability. Europe cars do.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto - up

You can purchase a "PC Board" that will then have auto -up
Search on the board "Ian Kull" "auto-up" if I remember correctly.

I have the auto - up and DSC over - ride

Really one of the best usefull mods you can do

Don't get your arm, finger, or ANY appendage caught in the MINIS window
That motor is STRONG and has NO pressure sensor..

I rolled my windows down as I was going through a tunnel (don't we all ???)
My navigator had a arm out the window...
I hit auto - up
I heard screams of JOY and EXCITMENT...
so I floored it..

Note; screams of PAIN & AGONY sound really close to screams of joy and excitment !

Old 04-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by domc
You can turn that feature on with this gadget:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/01/03/t...cuit-reviewed/

http://www.mcaw.info/

I believe this feature is not available in the U.S. because of liability. Europe cars do.
Trust me i've had the IAN CULL circuit even before i recieved my first MINI in 03'.

Also many cars as i stated in the US have auto up. Our brand new Murano has dual auto up. I've driven much of the BMW and Merc Line, they all have Auto Up. If a car is even reasonably thought of as premium they have autoup of either the driver or both the driver and pass.

Has nothing to do with Liability because MINI could have put the pinch sensor in the MINI for a little cost.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
CooperGear
Banned
Ok, first off I am not stupid!

Today I discovered that my 05 MCS has some mods. I was chatting with a friend of the original owner and it turns out that my car has the following.

Dinan 15% Pulley.
Tank Regulator
Fuel Regulator
Upgraded Injectors
Stage 5 Software

Not a bad little surprise I thought. In my own defense, I had never driven a MCS before I owned my car. I had driven the MC many times and my father, a retired race car driver, test drove the car for me. I had never driven in one that didn't have the power that mine has.

I LOVE finding out new things about my baby.

blake

Old 04-15-2006, 07:37 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread, I've learned some cool things about the car (now just broken in ). A couple more:

- The easiest way to get out of the rear seats is butt first, reversing how you get in.
- The front passenger and rear seat belts can be locked in position (by first fully extending, and then tightening down). Great for securing cargo from sliding around.
- If you have manual A/C, you don’t need to use the fan. The gates to the outside air flow stay open and you get forced air flow that increases with speed. Works with heat, but you need the fan for the A/C condenser.
- Radio reception seems fine without the antenna, if you roof rack something that might get in the way.
- Windows/roof work for about 10 mins after you turn off the ignition, provided you don’t open a door.

Oh, and if you don't want to spend the 40-50$ for the Mini bungee cargo net, you can get one for 5$ at any motorcycle shop, hooks and all .

Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I never knew, until yesterday, that I'd be able to return a piece of furniture to Ikea in the Mini Box was at least 78" x 16"...

Old 04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
The ratcheting seat belts (all passenger positions) are intended to help secure child seats.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:09 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Aqualung
on the H/K head unit, if the bass & volume are set past the default "mid point", a volume limiter kicks in to prevent damage to the speakers (and your ears ), no matter how high you turn it up.

Also, pre '06 (I think, someone verify as I'm on an '04) no matter how hard you look , the automatic sound level adjuster doesn't exist despite what the manual says
I did some more research on this, and apparenly the automatic sound leveling IS a feature of the H/K, you just can't adjust it. The H/K DSP determines what's best (or it just has one default setting).

Don't argue with it.. H/K knows audio better than you..

Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
I did some more research on this, and apparenly the automatic sound leveling IS a feature of the H/K, you just can't adjust it. The H/K DSP determines what's best (or it just has one default setting).

Don't argue with it.. H/K knows audio better than you..
Yes it is a feature, and you are correct, it can not be changed. However, you can get into the settings and change it, but it doesn't do abything.

Steve

Old 04-16-2006, 02:03 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonMarkC
That rear parcel shelf tip is life-altering...no longer will it risk getting crushed by all the cargo when I leave it in the bottom of the boot and load up. What a clever design!
Uh, can someone clearly explain this or post a pic or two showing how this is properly done? I tried it and it seems that one seat has to be all the way back to hold the shelf into place, and that it just seems loose. Right now I have it situated with curved center section down on console, with rear seat headrests tucked into shelf. Thanks Jimbo

Old 04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
The glass portion of the rear view mirror bears an amazing resemblence to a longboard.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 PM
lawless77
1st Gear
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

I just discovered that when the rear seats are folded down a very useful and protective storage space is created between the seat bottom and the now folded down back. There's a little hollow in there thanks to the concavity of the seat bottom. Its also fully padded and closed off so things don't go flying around during hard turns. Perfect for small, fragile items. I've taken to stashing my digital camera back there for safe keeping.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:12 PM
become1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by snapper

Oh, and if you don't want to spend the 40-50$ for the Mini bungee cargo net, you can get one for 5$ at any motorcycle shop, hooks and all .
could we get a pic of the net? sounds very useful

Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
drdestructo
Neutral
Exhaust Volume Control

Just read the entire thread and didn't see this one:

I have a fairly loud aftermarket exhaust on my S. Often, such as when making a phone call, I wish the car was a bit quieter on the highway. If you crack the sunroof or turn on the recirc air, the noise level will abate noticably due to the fact that air extractors will close when not needed. The extractors are located near the exhaust system.

Enjoy your new found peace and quiet!

DrD

Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM
blalor
6th Gear
I'm assuming that's with the auto aircon? Probably doesn't apply to us manual types. :-)

Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
drdestructo
Neutral
Manual A/C (also known as two + sixty A/C)

What, no A/C? I guess the best way to quiet your exhaust is to shut 'er off!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
JimsWorksMini
1st Gear
More Mini Trivia

The H/K sound system does have an auto volume contorl which seems to be using ambient noise to adjust volume - i.e. more interior noise, more volume.
The sunglass holder in the glove box door works well as an iPod holder.
I noticed today that leaving the auto headlights on in the day turns daytime running lights on. Is that normal?
And my car came with one of the dash-mounted "Big Gulp" drink holders which I had to remove because I laughed at it's absurdity each time I looked at it. Anybody want it - cheap?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:41 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Cabrio Windows

I didn't see this posted so far...

When you lower the convertible top using the inside button, the windows only go down half-way. BUT.. if you briefly tap the DOWN button for the rear windows, it will completely lower ALL four windows automatically. So now I just press that button first, then lower the top. (Be patient, the rear windows go first, THEN the front windows. Don't press the button again because you'll stop them.)

Of course, you can always use the unlock button on the remote to do all of it automatically, but I'm usually IN the car by the time it's half-way done!

Old 04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Oh yeah...

BTW JimsWorksMini... I believe the Daytime Running Lights are a programmable feature done at the dealer. I told them before I picked mine up to make sure that feature was turned off.

That cup holder is retarded! The moment I saw it I told them to take it out. It gets in the way of everything! Too funny. I got the Boot-liner instead. Of course now I can't get a regular-sized cup of soda to fit in any of the existing cup holders! I have to order the kid's size.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Folding both side-view mirrors in towards the car when drying after a good bath lets lots of water drain out that might otherwise blow all over the side of your car when you hit the road. Three years...just discovered this. Sheesh.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
The stock exhaust on the MC drones in the rain. (when it gets wet)

Old 04-22-2006, 09:36 PM
snapper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by become1
could we get a pic of the net? sounds very useful
CLICKY

Originally Posted by sequence
Uh, can someone clearly explain this or post a pic or two showing how this is properly done? I tried it and it seems that one seat has to be all the way back to hold the shelf into place, and that it just seems loose. Right now I have it situated with curved center section down on console, with rear seat headrests tucked into shelf. Thanks Jimbo
Just got this to work for me on an ‘06 car, here goes: The top surface of the parcel shelf (the normally visible surface) faces towards the front of the car. The circular cut-out on the parcel shelf (for rear wiper motor) sits on the hump. If situated correctly, four points of contact will hold the parcel shelf level, off the rear floor, and snugly in place, all without touching the front seats... they are: 1) the hump, 2) the rear cup holder, 3) the left & 4) the right rear seat headrests (with the seat folded, of course).

I just have to repeat one I mentioned earlier....
The easiest way to get out of the rear seat is going butt first, effectively reversing how you get it. It is completely counter-intuitive, so I doubt many have tried it. It is much, much easier on the knees, and you don’t even have to have the door open much (ie, great for tight parking spots). (Hmmmm...... wonder which method will look better for the ladies wearing mini skirts )

Old 04-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Carey934
1st Gear
I can't believe I never noticed the arrow on the fuel pump on the gas gauge before! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Old 04-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Carey934
1st Gear
Originally Posted by snapper
CLICKY

Just got this to work for me on an ‘06 car, here goes: The top surface of the parcel shelf (the normally visible surface) faces towards the front of the car. The circular cut-out on the parcel shelf (for rear wiper motor) sits on the hump. If situated correctly, four points of contact will hold the parcel shelf level, off the rear floor, and snugly in place, all without touching the front seats... they are: 1) the hump, 2) the rear cup holder, 3) the left & 4) the right rear seat headrests (with the seat folded, of course).
You must not have the arm rest. With my 05 MC, the arm rest requires you to turn the parcel shelf around. See photos below for procedure (you can click on the photos for a larger version to see detail):

Step one: Open the hatch.

Step Two: Detach the parcel shelf support strings.

Step Three: Remove the parcel shelf and lower the back seats (if you have no need to lower the back seats, it works the same.)

Step Four: Open driver (or passenger) door and put driver (or passenger) seat into rear entry/exit position.

Step Five: Place parcel shelf backwards and upside down behind arm rest as shown in picture below.

Parcel shelf should be stable in this position, as show in the picture below:

Parcel shelf is now at the same level as the seats in the down position so it should not be damaged if heavy items are placed above it, as shown in the picture below:

Old 04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
lol great step-by-step !

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI