R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 AM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didn't know that you could see the side turn signal repeater lights reflected in the outside rearview mirrors. I didn't know that there were little lights inside the inside door handles, or that they make little reflections on the dashboard.

Here's something that I don't know and would like to know: in cars with NAV or Chrono, there's a blank warning light in the tach. For non-NAV/Chrono cars, there's a blank warning light in the speedometer. In which markets are these blanks used for indicators, and what is the indicator?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tubwreck
... I didn't know that there were little lights inside the inside door handles, or that they make little reflections on the dashboard.

I'll have to check that one out ... what purpose could they possibly serve?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jollygreenmini
I'll have to check that one out ... what purpose could they possibly serve?
These small amber leds are only in 05's and newer along with the other ambient lighting and the "puddle" lights under the door. They help you (or more accurately, the guests in your MINI) to find the door handle at night. ...I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell people where the handle is - and in my '02 at night I just had to reach across and let them out!

It took me a little while to not be distracted by the reflection from the passenger door handle light in the dash. Now I don't notice it any more. Overall, I love all the new lighting additions!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I didn't see it mentioned and may have just overlooked it.

Only the drivers door handle(outside) has a keyhole.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bpago
Your scheduled maintance shoud be able to be done at ANY dealer.
I purchased mine and have had all maint done at the more local dealer.
I was told that they are "reimbursed" from MINI for ACTUALL WORK DONE.
Absolutely, ANY MINI dealer must service your car, either scheduled maint. or warranty work.

If you did not buy the car there, they may make you wait longer for an appointment.

Steve

Old 05-31-2006, 05:23 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tubwreck
i didn't know that you could see the side turn signal repeater lights reflected in the outside rearview mirrors.

Ummm, how is this possible? The repeater lights are ahead of the mirrors?

Steve

Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by become1
speaking of EZpass, if you have the double sunroof you can stash/stick your transponder to the glass in the nook where the screen latches on the rear sunroof.
no reason to have an ugly transponder on your windshield! it works well since the nose of the MINI is pretty short and the windshield is kinda vertical
This is a pretty cool idea. I'm going to try it out on my new MINI.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AMW
I'm a fan of stealth and of clean looking installations, but I suggest you check your EZPass rules carefully to determine if this is legal in your state.

In Illinois, the transponder has to be visible, ie mounted on the windshield, pretty near front and center... Since I have to stick to the letter of the law, even dash-mounted is unacceptable (actionable by law enforcement).

Front license plates are required here, too ,
Tatt

Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
I pass

I have had my (Illinois) I pass mounted to the inside of the rear sunroof ever since I read about it here on NAM. I think the rules say it has to be where it works. It does just fine on "open road tolling" at 65 mph.

They give instructions on where to mount it so that it should work, but I don't recall that they care where it is mounted if it does work.

They warn that it has to be "activated" about 100 feet prior to the toll booth, so if you normally keep it some where "electrically hidden" you should get it out ahead of time.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Another feature that I found out days after ownership, all the radio controls on the backside of the steering wheel. Very cool!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by RonP
Another feature that I found out days after ownership, all the radio controls on the backside of the steering wheel. Very cool!
Only on the two spoke MFSW wheel. On the 05 & up MFSW they are on the front.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Backside?

Nevermind... thanks for clarifying DrDiff!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AMW
The Mini is the first car I've driven where I can leave my FastTrak transponder for bridge toll access IN THE GLOVE BOX and still have it report to the toll receiver. Awesome.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
The Mini is the first car I've driven where I can leave my FastTrak transponder for bridge toll access IN THE GLOVE BOX and still have it report to the toll receiver. Awesome.
Must be because the bonnet is aluminum and not steel - perhaps the transmitter is more visible through aluminum?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 AM
become1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
I'm a fan of stealth and of clean looking installations, but I suggest you check your EZPass rules carefully to determine if this is legal in your state.

In Illinois, the transponder has to be visible, ie mounted on the windshield, pretty near front and center... Since I have to stick to the letter of the law, even dash-mounted is unacceptable (actionable by law enforcement).

Front license plates are required here, too ,
Tatt
has anyone ever gotten in trouble for not having the ezpass in the right place?
first, someone would have to see you go through the booth at 45...50...55 mph and then stare at your windshield to see if you have a pass

seems unlikely, i say, go for the stealth look!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
There is a slot just foreward of the dirverside rear wheel that one can hide a key in
Slot, what slot - I don't see a slot??? in the wheel well, body trim, inside outside shere is this slot...

Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23

I painted mine black and stuck it to the auto wiper box on front windshield with industrial velcro....

Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kentiki
Just learned that in a convertible, if you lock the doors with the key in the actual lock (i.e. not from a distance) and hold the key in that position, the top and all windows will go up! Very slick.
Am I going to have to go out in my bathrobe again to see if this works with mine? I hope so.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by K9MINI
If you buy a MINI and say to yourself " I am not going to Mod this car" you will soon be selling off everthing including the kitchen sink to fund your new addiction. Oh I am sorry this is for "things I should have known better about" thread.
Let's see, where's my wallet.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by become1
has anyone ever gotten in trouble for not having the ezpass in the right place?
first, someone would have to see you go through the booth at 45...50...55 mph and then stare at your windshield to see if you have a pass

seems unlikely, i say, go for the stealth look!
I stuck mine on the rear sunroof panel. Works like a charm. It's been almost a year and no violations.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Like Robin Leach, "I don't know Whyyyy..."

One more from the "Things that make you go "hmmmm" file... It's been a while, but recently my MCS reminded me that it is still "haunted"...

Sometimes I play the radio without the key in the ignition, or with the key inserted but the ignition not "on". Twice now when doing this, I have seen the multi-function controls on the steering wheel "energize" (light up) when I turn on the radio. No, it doesn't happen every time - I don't think it's "supposed to" happen at all. No, neither the headlights nor parking lights are on when this happens.

I turn off the radio, the steering wheel stays lit. I get out of the car and close the door, the steering wheel stays lit as the interior lights fade out. I lock the car with the button on the key fob, yeah it still stays lit. <head-scratching smiley>. Unlocking and re-locking with the key-fob, finally the steering wheel goes dim and puzzled me goes to the gym to meditate on this weirdness...

Tatt

Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There is a timer that lets you continue to use auxilliary components such as the stereo and sunroof (though not one-touch) for 10 minutes after taking out the ignition key. Getting out and closing the door interupts this somehow.

As for the MFSW lights staying lit, are you using the Dension Icelink+ and Ipod? The only time I encountered wierdness with the lighting was when my Icelink took a poo-poo and needed to be swapped out...

Old 06-01-2006, 03:53 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
There is a timer that lets you continue to use auxilliary components such as the stereo and sunroof (though not one-touch) for 10 minutes after taking out the ignition key. Getting out and closing the door interupts this somehow.

As for the MFSW lights staying lit, are you using the Dension Icelink+ and Ipod? The only time I encountered wierdness with the lighting was when my Icelink took a poo-poo and needed to be swapped out...
Yeah, I have closed windows and sunroof after taking the key out, in fact I read about that first in the manual...

Good guesses Tarzan but, No IceLink, No iPod either... No electrical mods...

Last time the MCS acted haunted, a few other folks chimed in about how they thought "they were the only ones" who had the same "issue" . Wish I could remember what that was, sunroof maybe.

"He thrusts his fists against the post, and still insists he sees the ghosts,"
Tatt

Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just found out, after a brief but heavy rain, that after a rain storm, when you go out to your car and start it and open the windows because it is hot and steamy out, and then you start to drive off and immediately start to turn to the right and stop....that all the standing water on the roof of the car rolls off the roof and comes through your open window in a wave of water that rushes into the car and all over your right leg

Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I just found out, after a brief but heavy rain, that after a rain storm, when you go out to your car and start it and open the windows because it is hot and steamy out, and then you start to drive off and immediately start to turn to the right and stop....that all the standing water on the roof of the car rolls off the roof and comes through your open window in a wave of water that rushes into the car and all over your right leg
LOL, I admit it took me more than one soaking, to thoroughly learn that. When it's wet after a rain, leave the sunroof CLOSED for the first half a mile or so . The roof is smaller than the beltline, too, so water doesn't fall down, it falls IN thru the open windows!

Or before takeoff, break out the nice soft microfiber towel (that's in the boot for just such an emergency), and blot up 90% of the water that would otherwise end up all over you (and the interior ) . If you soak it up beforehand, all the better to deal with "steamy" conditions where you want to open up the car BEFORE you drive off.

Tatt

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI