R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:58 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tattman23
LOL, I admit it took me more than one soaking, to thoroughly learn that. When it's wet after a rain, leave the sunroof CLOSED for the first half a mile or so . The roof is smaller than the beltline, too, so water doesn't fall down, it falls IN thru the open windows!

Or before takeoff, break out the nice soft microfiber towel (that's in the boot for just such an emergency), and blot up 90% of the water that would otherwise end up all over you (and the interior ) . If you soak it up beforehand, all the better to deal with "steamy" conditions where you want to open up the car BEFORE you drive off.

Tatt
I prefer to just get in, and do a couple of dounts in the parking lot first. I call it spin drying the MINI.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cube17576
I prefer to just get in, and do a couple of dounts in the parking lot first. I call it spin drying the MINI.
LOL spin dry, indeed!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
Originally Posted by umberto
I just found out, after a brief but heavy rain, that after a rain storm, when you go out to your car and start it and open the windows because it is hot and steamy out, and then you start to drive off and immediately start to turn to the right and stop....that all the standing water on the roof of the car rolls off the roof and comes through your open window in a wave of water that rushes into the car and all over your right leg
LOL LOL!!

The climate controlled glove box is a great place to keep you chocolate bar! I wonder if I could keep my glass bottled cokes in there? (of course, only with the AC on )

Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
cindy2627
1st Gear
I just got rid of my BMW 740iL and had the ez pass on the front license plate holder. I just took it off and put it on DaMini. Can't even notice it!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know that they changed how and when the Xenon lights self-leveled in the '06 MINIs.

My '02 MCS Xenons self-leveled visably every time that you turned on the lights. You got this really cool little light show as the bulbs flickered awake, changing color as the bulbs came up to temperature, and then dipped to their lowest setting and then came back up to the propper level.

My '06 MCS Xenons do not do the same thing and leave me quite disappointed as I rather enjoyed the light show. It seems as though what they have done is have the lights self-level as soon as the engine starts regardless of whethter or not the lights are on. So unless you have the light switch turned on before you start the engine you do not get to see the light show.

Heck, if I knew that they changed it I probably would not have gotten the Xenons.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
Found This Out While Driving Through Yosemite And Sequoia National Parks. The Cruise Control Will Not Work Until You Are In At Least Third Gear.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:16 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINICHEF
Found This Out While Driving Through Yosemite And Sequoia National Parks. The Cruise Control Will Not Work Until You Are In At Least Third Gear.
I thought whether it worked it or not was determined by speed (above 35 or something)... I suppose the way that I drive, above 35 = 3rd gear. You might try winding out 2nd a bit and seeing if you can get cruise to go active.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cindy2627
I just got rid of my BMW 740iL and had the ez pass on the front license plate holder. I just took it off and put it on DaMini. Can't even notice it!
When I was researching if it was a law and not a suggestion to mount the transponder on the windshield, I learned that Chicago has those license plate mounts available finally. I plan to check it out, but haven't yet. Isn't there some risk of vandalism?

Tatt

Old 06-03-2006, 09:36 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by tattman23
I thought whether it worked it or not was determined by speed (above 35 or something)... I suppose the way that I drive, above 35 = 3rd gear. You might try winding out 2nd a bit and seeing if you can get cruise to go active.
At my delivery, my MA told me the car needs to be in at least 3rd gear and 30 mph for cruise control to activate. My owner's manual says at least 20 mph and no mention of gearing.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
trbasil
2nd Gear
I've got one that nobody has mentioned yet. Maybe it's just because this is my first vehical with a sunroof, but you can open the sunroof/moonroof to the sunroof posistion by pushing in (toward the roof of the car) on the button

Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by trbasil
I've got one that nobody has mentioned yet. Maybe it's just because this is my first vehical with a sunroof, but you can open the sunroof/moonroof to the sunroof posistion by pushing in (toward the roof of the car) on the button
Doesnt that happen when ever you close it?

Old 06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
amg6975
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
I didn't know that they changed how and when the Xenon lights self-leveled in the '06 MINIs.

My '02 MCS Xenons self-leveled visably every time that you turned on the lights. You got this really cool little light show as the bulbs flickered awake, changing color as the bulbs came up to temperature, and then dipped to their lowest setting and then came back up to the propper level.

My '06 MCS Xenons do not do the same thing and leave me quite disappointed as I rather enjoyed the light show. It seems as though what they have done is have the lights self-level as soon as the engine starts regardless of whethter or not the lights are on. So unless you have the light switch turned on before you start the engine you do not get to see the light show.

Heck, if I knew that they changed it I probably would not have gotten the Xenons.
My 06 does the light show when I turn them on. It actually does it when I turn the running lights on. Do you turn them on before your low beams?

Old 06-04-2006, 04:39 PM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
Just noticed when i got back tonight - even if the windows are partway down -when you open the doors - the windows "roll" down the half inch they would to open the seal.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
trbasil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
Doesnt that happen when ever you close it?
yes. but I'm talking about to open it from the closed posistion.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:08 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
The cruise control definitely works in third gear at 25 mph - I drive through a 25 mph zone on my way to work and I use the cruise to keep in the legal zone.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:13 PM
cindy2627
1st Gear
Slot for the spare key?

I can't find it either but would really like to! Please give more direction!

Thanks

Old 06-04-2006, 05:25 PM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
Here are some things that I would like to know about my MINI. Any answers out there?

1. Why does the exhaust make that burbling popping sound on overrun. It's way cool, but what makes the sound?

2. What is the technology used by the Limited Slip Diff? Is it a gear type? Clutch? Viscous? It works very smoothly.

3. Various trade publications talk about the MINI's "modular roof system". What is it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2006, 05:31 PM
trbasil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cindy2627
I can't find it either but would really like to! Please give more direction!

Thanks
from the unauthorized owners manual
"place your hand just forward of either rear wheel neer the rocker panel. Reach up and under the wheel well. You will find a flat 4"X4" secret spot no one know about but you. And tens of thousands of fellow U.S. MINI owners."

Old 06-05-2006, 05:12 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tubwreck
Here are some things that I would like to know about my MINI. Any answers out there?

1. Why does the exhaust make that burbling popping sound on overrun. It's way cool, but what makes the sound?

3. Various trade publications talk about the MINI's "modular roof system". What is it?

Thanks in advance!
I believe the exhaust burble is a result of valve timing. MINI tech bulletins list this as a "feature" on '05's but several '06 owners that I have come across have asked me if my exhaust has been modified, apparently its been reduced or eliminated now. Or they just don't listen to the noises their cars make.

Probably referring to the "capped" configuration of the roof. I don't know of too many modern cars that have roofs that extend beyond the glass

Old 06-05-2006, 05:28 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Super-Size it!

If you lift the armrest, you can fit a normal-sized (or even McDonalds "super-sized" beverage in the rear cup holder without pinching or spilling. May come in handy for those of you who, like me, thought the cup holder attached to the dashboard column looked goofy and had it removed (and were then forced to use 8oz cups in the front cup holders!)

Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ja ME s
Just noticed when i got back tonight - even if the windows are partway down -when you open the doors - the windows "roll" down the half inch they would to open the seal.
My '03 doesn't do this and I question whether yours should. Mine only does the jog
if the window is all the way up. Do both of yours do it or just the driver's side?

Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
my windows do it if they aren't down below a certain point. if they are almost all the way down they don't do it.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soofle
Probably referring to the "capped" configuration of the roof. I don't know of too many modern cars that have roofs that extend beyond the glass
That might be reference to the modular roof "rack" system that's available. Once you install the main roof rack, there are separate modules available for bicycles, ski's, etc.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
The rubber "coaster" in the rear cupholder removes for cleaning. (Discovered while vacuuming Car84 last night.) Not too exciting or sexy, but I'll keep trying to find new stuff.
The parcel shelf "rear gate effect" is great for steadying the pups to leash their collars prior to egress. I have a car blanket which I flap over my rear bumper before I put/remove anything (or anyone) from the boot, works great!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:20 AM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by petecrosby
My '03 doesn't do this and I question whether yours should. Mine only does the jog
if the window is all the way up. Do both of yours do it or just the driver's side?
yeah - i looked at it again this morning and it didn't do it? maybe only if the car is off. or maybe its because they were only down about 2-3 inches. then i again i could just be completely crazy.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI