R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Heck, if I knew that they changed it I probably would not have gotten the Xenons.
What are ya talkin' bout....Xenons are cool! lol
I feel "upper class" when im drivin' around with them on. Although im praying they dont blow and cost me $250 to replace each bulb...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
At my delivery, my MA told me the car needs to be in at least 3rd gear and 30 mph for cruise control to activate. My owner's manual says at least 20 mph and no mention of gearing.
Well I decided to play with it this morning I couldn't hold 35 in 2nd but I did hold 20 in 3rd, on an 05 so I hope that answers any questions.

also one thing to note there is enough torque that I can do 5 in 1st 8 in 2nd and ~15in third at idle w.out stalling, consider it a mechanical not electrical CC.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Only on the two spoke MFSW wheel. On the 05 & up MFSW they are on the front.
Minus the mode button

Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
-Nathan
1st Gear
tubwreck,
In response to your question about the "burbling popping sound on overrun", I have read the following explanation before although I can't confirm that is is correct. In the original supercharged Mini, when you lifted your foot off the gas pedal, the throttle valve would close completely and there was no where for the pressurized fuel/air in from the supercharger to go except out the waste gate which dumped it directly into the hot exhaust manifold. This small amount of fuel would instantly burn in the exhaust manifold, creating the "pop" sound. With modern computer controlled engines this can be easily prevented, but in the new Mini Cooper S they intentionally decided to let it make the burbling, popping sound since it sounds cool, although it probably does waste a tiny amount of fuel.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:06 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear 12V outlet in converts.

I was one of those who thought that we convertible owners didn't get a rear 12V outlet. After more than a year I found out I was wrong! The 05 converts have a 12V outlet in the rear of the trunk. It's in the area below the trunk lid on the left side, out of normal view and facing into the trunk. You have to stick your head IN the trunk and look back to find it! I only found it when doing a very careful vacum job

Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
takingcurves
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
The dealership knows how fast your car has been. They know all. They scare me.
thats no good ...thats no good at all

Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by takingcurves
thats no good ...thats no good at all
No big deal, they can't deny work because you hit top speed.

Steve

Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Only my dealer and my GPS know how fast I've been . . . and neither will tell my wife. Boy, I'm hoping I have the not obvious 12 volt outlet in the trunk of my convertible. So far in this thread I've had everything I've discovered here . . . and always I have to go out in my bathrobe, remove the car cover, and thank God that everyone else in downtown Santa Fe goes to bed at eight o'clock.

Meanwhile my son prepares for his drive to Alaska in an 82 Rabbit convertible (with a friend and his college luggage (and with a cello (and with the notion of bringing 4 extra wheels for snow tires (and with his snowboard)))). Reality meets convertible (local news headline Alberta).

Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
pocket rockets
Neutral
"Even if you don't have the OBC the tach display still comes with the avg, kph, mpg, range displays built-in"

As a new MINI owner, I would be very interested in knowing **how** to see these features without the OBC. I have also heard that pressing the reset button on the speedo can tell you some things...

J

Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM
okchili
1st Gear
Does anyone know why sometimes when you open you door that BOTH windows go down about 1 inch? I know about the windows going down when you open and close the doors, but only sometimes both windows go down at the same time.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Tricky Fish
4th Gear
I've never had this happen to me. Are you somehow accidentally holding down the unlock button on your key, becuase that will roll down your windows. That's an easy question to answer if you have a sunroof because it'll start to open as well.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:10 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pocket rockets
"Even if you don't have the OBC the tach display still comes with the avg, kph, mpg, range displays built-in"

As a new MINI owner, I would be very interested in knowing **how** to see these features without the OBC. I have also heard that pressing the reset button on the speedo can tell you some things...

J
OBC feature can be enabled really easily...

Do a search on OBC retrofit. I've done it on my car and cost me 35$. (including the cost to add a switch, because I didn't have the button on the "flasher level")

Old 07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's the thread I posted about it :

OBC Retrofit

Old 07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by okchili
Does anyone know why sometimes when you open you door that BOTH windows go down about 1 inch? I know about the windows going down when you open and close the doors, but only sometimes both windows go down at the same time.
That's not operating correctly, (if you're not opening the passenger door too at the same time).

Old 07-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Brethan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
The package in England, Europe or Japan. For their narrow roads.
It's also their very narrow parking, would be handy right now if I had that option

Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
okchili
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 2ndMiniac
I've never had this happen to me. Are you somehow accidentally holding down the unlock button on your key, becuase that will roll down your windows. That's an easy question to answer if you have a sunroof because it'll start to open as well.
I thought maybe it had something to do with the high temperature outside. It doesn't do it until I open the door. Then both windows go down about one inch and stop. It's happened about 4 times since I've had the car, but I can never predict when it will happen (I've had my car about 3 weeks).

I'll check next time it happens and see if I just held down on the unlock button too long.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by okchili
This slight movement of the window helps create a better seal when the doors are closed. They should work independently of each other though. Sounds like a question for the service tech.

Swizzle

Old 07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
I was one of those who thought that we convertible owners didn't get a rear 12V outlet. After more than a year I found out I was wrong! The 05 converts have a 12V outlet in the rear of the trunk. It's in the area below the trunk lid on the left side, out of normal view and facing into the trunk. You have to stick your head IN the trunk and look back to find it! I only found it when doing a very careful vacum job
I have looked everywhere and it is not htere.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:05 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by early_apex
Minus the mode button
Yeah, that sucks! Found that out the hard way on our new cabrio S.

Also found out, the hard way (old news to NAMers) that the H/K system doesn't have the "speed sensing" HU.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
found it!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Just discovered my wife's key and mine are interchangeable as far as opening the locking glovebox. Will ANY MINI key work on any MINI glovebox?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear

I didn't know it would be so damn hard to spy on someone and not get caught! I thought as little as this car is, I'd be able to hide behind some bushes or an SUV... but nope! Busted!!

Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NemoMini
I didn't know it would be so damn hard to spy on someone and not get caught! I thought as little as this car is, I'd be able to hide behind some bushes or an SUV... but nope! Busted!!
Austin Powers: "Your Spy-Car is a MINI?!"
Nigel Powers: "I'ts not the size of it- It's how you use it"

FWIW- I've tried to spy on folks in my MINI too, but everyone notices a MINI! Doh!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Oh . . . I never thought of it as . . . mini. Maybe MINI.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:37 AM
LBE
2nd Gear
I have been reading this thread for days! Great info all!! I usually only have time in the eve to hop on the site. I have been making frequent late night trips to the garage to check and test all these tricks.

I dunno how it works, but this thread should really be a "Sticky"

Keep the tips comming.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI