R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Wee Panzer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
The dealership knows how fast your car has been. They know all. They scare me.
That is complements of OBD II your local police and insurance company can use that info too.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 PM
AudioNToxication
5th Gear
I don't remember seeing this in this thread. I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned. I found this one today when I actually listened to the radio, the radio and CD player have their own EQ settings. Just a nice addition to a car already filled with little conveniences.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AudioNToxication
I don't remember seeing this in this thread. I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned. I found this one today when I actually listened to the radio, the radio and CD player have their own EQ settings. Just a nice addition to a car already filled with little conveniences.
What is an EQ setting? Do I have one too?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
AudioNToxication
5th Gear
Yes, you have one too. It's when you press the "musical note" on the head unit, the bass/treble & balance/fade settings are what I was referring to.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AudioNToxication
Yes, you have one too. It's when you press the "musical note" on the head unit, the bass/treble & balance/fade settings are what I was referring to.
this is the best thread!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
cool...I have the stock non Harmon Kardon HU and have the additional CD changer and aux input too, and just checked it out...as I go through the 'mode' button to access the radio, CD, CD changer, and aux input, they each can have the treble/bass set individually and it remembers the setting,... but also, the FM and the AM can also each have their own settings retained...pretty cool

Old 08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NemoMini
BTW JimsWorksMini... I believe the Daytime Running Lights are a programmable feature done at the dealer. I told them before I picked mine up to make sure that feature was turned off.

That cup holder is retarded! The moment I saw it I told them to take it out. It gets in the way of everything! Too funny. I got the Boot-liner instead. Of course now I can't get a regular-sized cup of soda to fit in any of the existing cup holders! I have to order the kid's size.
Use the rear cup holder, its considerably larger than the front cupholders. And depending how far back you sit, its VERY accessable.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't think it has been mentioned but you can't move the mirrors unless you've turned the key. After a whole year little things like this amuse me okay?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
april4jsd
1st Gear
I just got my mini last week- and all these post have been reallyinteresting.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Jeremy1026
i roll down my windows with my key every time i go out to my MINI now can u say 'killing the batteries' (i have an 03' so they dont recharge themselves

Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
saakey
5th Gear
One thing I don't know...and hoping maybe some here does. Is there a mod (a way) to make these widows a "one-touch" up? Is there a replacement switch out there that can do this - or a mod to the existing switch that can be done? I can't believe they don't come this way in the first place ...is it a child safety thing or something?

Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by saakey
One thing I don't know...and hoping maybe some here does. Is there a mod (a way) to make these widows a "one-touch" up? Is there a replacement switch out there that can do this - or a mod to the existing switch that can be done? I can't believe they don't come this way in the first place ...is it a child safety thing or something?
http://outmotoring.com/remote_contro...up_module.html

Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Thanks, but I meant from inside the car- the switches on the center console

Old 09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
glassdarkly
2nd Gear
there are two circuit cards that i know of that will auto up the windows from the toggle switch bank. one is made by Ian (GBMINI) and the other is from OutMotoring.com. Do a search in the forums for auto up windows and you should find links to where you can purchase one. i bought and installed the card made by Ian and it works great. highly recommended!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:06 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian's "Original Auto-up circuit"...
"My "MINI circuit" solves the annoyance of having to hold the window toggle switch up to close windows in a MINI - especially troublesome with a manual transmission when pulling away from a toll booth in wet weather!"
http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml

Outmotoring's "MINI Cooper Auto Window" "If you've ever tried to pull out of a drive through with full hands you'll appreciate this product. Auto-up Window control allows you to flick your drivers window toggle switch upwards (twice) and roll your window up. Leaving you to concentrate on motoring!"
(http://www.outmotoring.com/mcaw_mini..._auto_up_.html)

As you can see- someone's getting ripped off. I'm not in a positon to speculate. FWIW- I don't have either of these installed. Tons of NAM Folks do. I wouldn't know if either conflicts with the Outmotoring (key-based) add-on.

HTH, [i]

Old 09-02-2006, 06:33 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iriemanhq
Ian's "Original Auto-up circuit"...
"My "MINI circuit" solves the annoyance of having to hold the window toggle switch up to close windows in a MINI - especially troublesome with a manual transmission when pulling away from a toll booth in wet weather!"
http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml

Outmotoring's "MINI Cooper Auto Window" "If you've ever tried to pull out of a drive through with full hands you'll appreciate this product. Auto-up Window control allows you to flick your drivers window toggle switch upwards (twice) and roll your window up. Leaving you to concentrate on motoring!"
(http://www.outmotoring.com/mcaw_mini..._auto_up_.html)

As you can see- someone's getting ripped off. I'm not in a positon to speculate. FWIW- I don't have either of these installed. Tons of NAM Folks do. I wouldn't know if either conflicts with the Outmotoring (key-based) add-on.

HTH, [i]
Actually, noone was ripped off. The outmotoring unit was developed separately from Ian's and was brought to market approximately the same time that Ian decided to stopped making his. I have Ian's and it works great but I've heard the outmotoring unit works just as well. I've also heard that either units will work just fine with the key-based auto-up since the two circuits are mostly isolated

Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by soofle
Actually, noone was ripped off. The outmotoring unit was developed separately from Ian's and was brought to market approximately the same time that Ian decided to stopped making his...

good info. thanks. (hope i didn't ruffle any feathers)

Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Inspired by this amazingly informative and entertaining thread, I decided to try 2 of the checks that mean something to me.

1. My windows and sunroof will not open simultaneously no matter what I push, depress or hold - the unlock button on the key or the center panel, in or out of the car, running or not.

2. The unlocking the car with the key to the chin thing does work. I LOLed when I did it. I also discovered that my 2 keys work at different distances without using my chin. One key works at over twice the distance of the other one.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 PM
jdmarino
4th Gear
ditto

Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
1. My windows and sunroof will not open simultaneously no matter what I push, depress or hold....
Same here.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
sukgar
2nd Gear
Cool thread! I learned a lot.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 PM
N.S. Cerulean
Neutral
Me too:

My windows and sunroof will not open simultaneously no matter what I push, depress or hold....

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Lots of great stuff here. But, there is no sound made when I hold my key near the ignition

Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
pottermom
6th Gear
Originally Posted by N.S. Cerulean
Me too:

My windows and sunroof will not open simultaneously no matter what I push, depress or hold....

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
I think you have to have this set by the dealer, it is programable. If you look in your manual there are several options that you can program to your liking... window opening, door locking, etc. If you want it to change from what you have you need to have the dealer program it.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 PM
dix
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o4amini
Lots of great stuff here. But, there is no sound made when I hold my key near the ignition
Mine doesn't make any sound either...maybe we're not humming loud enough??? Mini's are a cute and weird little car. But, this has been a terrific thread. I've learned more here than from the dealer.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by N.S. Cerulean
Me too:

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Make sure you press and hold the unlock key for at least 5 seconds. I always click twice to open all the doors and then hold it in for 5 to roll down the windows. If that still doesn't work, that function is indeed a dealer controlled option. You have to take in in and ask for the option to have auto-down if you don't already have it. Hope that helps...
-David

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI