R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tattman23
I have experienced that too and I was sort of bummed about it. However, SOMEtimes (I was baffled by this) they seem to work just fine with the motor off and the radio on. I think it's related to atmospheric pressure somehow.

Tatt
Same here! Same location in my garage and one day the radio works with MFSW, another day it won't. Haven't been able to pinpoint anything different that I do, both times there's no key present, etc.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:37 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget the classic ragtop trick: you can unlock the doors/open the sunroof/put the top down from 3 or 4 times farther away if you open your mouth & point the key into your mouth. I understand that those afflicted with excessive dignity may have a problem with this but I am gloriously free of such encumberments.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davavd
I understand that those afflicted with excessive dignity may have a problem with this but I am gloriously free of such encumberments.

I hear you brother.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM
MMS1
1st Gear
So, having read through the thread (and my owner's manual!) - the dealer can fix the one (very minor) thing about the Mini that drives me nuts: the double pull on the door handle to unlock the doors from the inside? I'm assuming that has something to do with the auto door lock.

I HATE this, it's like my Mini is asking me if I was serious the first time about trying to open the door. "No, I just try to get out the first time for fun...."

Old 09-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MMS1
So, having read through the thread (and my owner's manual!) - the dealer can fix the one (very minor) thing about the Mini that drives me nuts: the double pull on the door handle to unlock the doors from the inside? I'm assuming that has something to do with the auto door lock.

I HATE this, it's like my Mini is asking me if I was serious the first time about trying to open the door. "No, I just try to get out the first time for fun...."
if you talk to your MA, u can have ur car programmed to not auto lock the doors. so then you wont have to pull to unlock, and then pull to open.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMS1

In any vehicle, if the door is locked, you must unlock it first, then pull the handle to open it. This is normally accomplished by the placement of a toggle switch on the instrument panel that unlocks the doors. Having reached down to the toggle switch and pressed unlock, a single pull on the door handle will open the door.

What you are viewing as an inconvenience should actually be viewed as a convenience--instead of having to unlock a locked door, then pull the handle to open it, MINI has thoughtfully allowed you to use the same lever--pull it once to unlock it. Pull the same lever again to open the door.

MINI owners tug twice.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:11 PM
pottermom
6th Gear
I don't mind the auto lock... but is there any way to deprogram the auto unlock? I would prefer it remained locked when I stop and turn it off but I like the auto lock. Are the two tied together or is the auto unlock even programable? The manual didn't say as far as I could find.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Auto Lock and Auto unlock are 2 seperate functions and can be programmed independant of each other.

Steve

Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
MINI owners tug twice.
um...

Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tarzan
MINI owners tug twice.
Well, any more than twice and you're just playing with it.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:21 AM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've been in some vehicles where pulling the handle will simultaneously unlock and open the door. That being said - i don't mind pulling twice - in fact even when the doors are unlocked i have a tendency to pull twice out of habit.

however, passengers who aren't familar with the double tug are often dumbfounded when they try and rip your door handle off and proceed to try and pull the lock up on the door.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ja ME s
i've been in some vehicles where pulling the handle will simultaneously unlock and open the door. That being said - i don't mind pulling twice - in fact even when the doors are unlocked i have a tendency to pull twice out of habit.

however, passengers who aren't familar with the double tug are often dumbfounded when they try and rip your door handle off and proceed to try and pull the lock up on the door.
Same here. My fathers Ford Excursion has that feature. If the doors are locked, one pull of the handle and the doors unlock and open at the same time.

My mothers Landrover Discovery is like the MINI. You have to pull once to unlock, then again to open.

It doesn't bother me.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ja ME s
I do one of two things to combat this:

1) As I am rolling to a stop, I point and say, 'pull gently twice.'

2) As I am rolling to a stop, I hit the toggle to unlock the doors.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
My husband is driving our Silverado the other day and pulls on the handle twice to open the door.

I like the feature, it's something else that's different than most other vehicles. It makes my MINI even more special than it already is.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
I'm surprised at the number of passengers who can't even find the door handle inside the car, they randomly grab at places on the armrest completely oblivious to the shiny illuminated thing that looks big enough to slip three finger behind, it's only slightly more anoying than the people that can't operate the outside door handle.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Deviant
I'm surprised at the number of passengers who can't even find the door handle inside the car, they randomly grab at places on the armrest completely oblivious to the shiny illuminated thing that looks big enough to slip three finger behind, it's only slightly more anoying than the people that can't operate the outside door handle.
LOL so true

Old 09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear

What you are viewing as an inconvenience should actually be viewed as a convenience--instead of having to unlock a locked door, then pull the handle to open it, MINI has thoughtfully allowed you to use the same lever--pull it once to unlock it. Pull the same lever again to open the door.

MINI owners tug twice.
This is another BMW trait that is shared with MINI.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:37 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
Same here. My fathers Ford Excursion has that feature. If the doors are locked, one pull of the handle and the doors unlock and open at the same time.

My mothers Landrover Discovery is like the MINI. You have to pull once to unlock, then again to open.

It doesn't bother me.
It don't bother me either, but then some people (such as tattman23) will do anything for a laugh. No one has mentioned before (ever) that Land Rover works the same way. Cool post @ qwertmonkey.

Tatt

Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kentiki
Same here! Same location in my garage and one day the radio works with MFSW, another day it won't. Haven't been able to pinpoint anything different that I do, both times there's no key present, etc.
Wait we have a hit! (cool). Me and "My People" will solve this MFSW inconsistency/weirdness eventually, but I do have another question:

I hesitate to ask, but when you drive with your sunroof not all the way open or all the way closed, have you heard it rattle?

Tatt

Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
I hesitate to ask, but when you drive with your sunroof not all the way open or all the way closed, have you heard it rattle?

Tatt
Yes, there is a TSB Fix for that.

Steve

Old 09-14-2006, 12:35 AM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
... The IKE has 21 test functions you can access by holding the trip button down while turning the ignition key. Press briefly to advance through menu options, press and hold to access that option. Tests 1&2 are always unlocked, Tests 3-21 are locked. Test number 19 is the "Unlock" function for getting to the rest of them.

Try subtest 2.0 (hold trip button, turn on key, press repeatedly to scroll up to 2.0, then hold). It runs a test that activates all gauges, LED's, and indicators. Very Cool! ...
that 2.0 test entertained me for a good 15 minutes today (i'm easly amused lol) Is there a list somwhere of what the other test functions do?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Heres a little detail. The Lid on the ashtray (coin cup for me) appears to be designed to emulate the Gas cap on the S.

Gosh, I love this vehicle. "It sucks when you arrive; it really kills the vibe."

Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pottermom
I don't mind the auto lock... but is there any way to deprogram the auto unlock? I would prefer it remained locked when I stop and turn it off but I like the auto lock. Are the two tied together or is the auto unlock even programable? The manual didn't say as far as I could find.
These are dealer programmable, right? On my MINI the doors stay locked until the key is removed from the ignition, and then everything unlocks at the same time...

My new MINI fact may be common sense but I just discovered it yesterday after about 5 months of ownership. The MFSW will move through the FM1 then the FM2 preset stations in order (giving you 12 radio stations total) or just the FMA (6 radio stations to cycle through).

Also, I think this post will put me into 3rd gear!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Little bit
3rd Gear
Brand new owner of a 2004 MC Pepper White! What an awesome car!

Can't find the emergency fuel door release.
When I wave my key near the ignition I hear nothing.

How do you deactivate the self locks?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Mini dealerships can adjust many things by altering settings on the on-board computer - self locks are one of these settings (as are low fuel chime and many other things). Ask your service manager at the dealer what can be adjusted, or do a forum search - I know i've seen a full list of programmable features on the forums at one time.

Glad you're liking your MC!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI