R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:18 AM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...the shape of the exhaust pipe cover was modeled after a beer can.

Cheers

Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
Dpsm?
http://motoringfile.com/2004/10/25/m...up_the_volume/

Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Yeah, the acronyms kill me. =o\

Old 11-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
Randers51 - to access the OBC press the small button that sits on top of the turn signal stalk. Each press will change the display in the tach - from temp to mpg, mph, etc

Old 11-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
As to lock/unlock - my 03 flashes the lights once on lock, but no lights flash on unlock. Should they?

thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 AM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-RI
As to lock/unlock - my 03 flashes the lights once on lock, but no lights flash on unlock. Should they?

thanks
Depends on how the dealer programmed it. Mine's programmed to double flash on unlock and flash once on lock.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
I hesitate to add this to a stellar list of great tips, but in case there's someone who did not know - you can download your owners manual (pdf) so you can read it on your PC.

Now don't laugh - its great when you want to search for something specific; no need to flip through the pages, just use the search feature in Adobe and all instances are instantly shown.

You can also download the unofficial owners manual - pretty funny!

Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trico
I wonder - will it ding for any old dingbat? In other words, will the key ding if it is placed near someone else's MINI's ignition - a MINI ignition e other than the ignition to which the key actually belongs?

nope, tried it.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
millerd2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-RI
I hesitate to add this to a stellar list of great tips, but in case there's someone who did not know - you can download your owners manual (pdf) so you can read it on your PC.

Now don't laugh - its great when you want to search for something specific; no need to flip through the pages, just use the search feature in Adobe and all instances are instantly shown.

You can also download the unofficial owners manual - pretty funny!
Good tip - thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just found out that the "selective central locking" is no longer available, as of sometime in the 2006 model year run. This is the feature where you decide whether you want the first press on your remote to unlock just the driver's door or unlock both doors and the boot.

Also, when unlocking with the key, the first turn only unlocks the driver's door, not all three locks. On earlier models, I believe that the first turn could be programmed to unlock all three locks.

Scott

Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I didnt know it was such a babe magnet! =P

Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Phantom
4th Gear
If you hold the central lock/ unlock switch in the unlock mode it will open windows and sunroof at the same time as if the key was in the door... neat, wish it did that for close though too...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Phantom
If you hold the central lock/ unlock switch in the unlock mode it will open windows and sunroof at the same time as if the key was in the door... neat, wish it did that for close though too...
Yeah I don't see why they didn't make it able to close that way...there's no issue with liability.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
No offense to anyone, but new posters to any thread should read the thread before posting. We're starting to get repeats.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 PM
jerry@suscom.net
1st Gear
Fuse box tip

The spare fuses we have are darn hard to get at. The cowling around the box won't let me reach them easily. I pulled them with needle nose pliers, bagged them and set them in the box so they'll be easy to get when needed.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
How about something I was told, then forgot and remembered today?

With an auto tranny, you can 'click' (push right from the Drive position) over into Sport Drive which I thought was ONLY the ability to manually change gears (1-6)....NOT!

Sport Drive (without shifting gears) is a power boosted 'mode' unto itself. I believe it changes the 'shift point' to a higher RPM than the standard mode.

Doh!

I know, I know... I'm SURE I'm the ONLY MINI owner to mess this up!

I feel a little dumb but I am glad I found (found again?) 'the secret boost switch'. And man IS IT FUN!!!

Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
I never knew how the Borla standard exhaust complemented the car so incredibly. Finally got mine installed today and I could actually feel a torque difference and it sounds so nice (very close to stock but deeper and a little louder). It's the thing my MINI was missing out on, that's for sure...

Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by jerry@suscom.net
The spare fuses we have are darn hard to get at. The cowling around the box won't let me reach them easily. I pulled them with needle nose pliers, bagged them and set them in the box so they'll be easy to get when needed.
A red plastic fuse puller is provided at the bottom of the fuse box. Works fine to retrieve the spare fuses.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is not an 'open door' indicator light anywhere in the cluster for doors but there is one for the trunk. the dome light does come on when the doors are open though.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by ja ME s
there is not an 'open door' indicator light anywhere in the cluster for doors but there is one for the trunk.
Furthermore, it is the same light for boot/bonnet ajar, so if you've just been detailing it can be hard to know which to check first. I've accustomed myself to checking the boot first because I can see the dash cluster through the window to know if the light goes out. If not, I can then go 'round front.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:32 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor on
Can you lock yourself out with only one key, I've tried, assuring I have my valet spare in my pocket and could manage it.

Originally Posted by Rawhyde
Yes, open the passenger door or boot, lock the car with the remote, toss in the key and shut the door (or boot). You just locked the key in the car!

Rawhyde

There is one other way to do it also, but do you really want to know how?

It's not something that will happen by accident.

ahh heck, I'll let you try it if you want to..

Sit in passenger seat. Close all doors/windows. Lock doors using toggle switch. open passenger door using double pull. Get out. Push down the lock on the passenger door. close door.

car is all lockied up without having to use the key. There are no other ways besides using the boot unlock on the key to lock yourself out of your MINI.

In reference to washing headlights:

Headlights on (maybe parking lights will work too haven't tested it), pull window washer stalk for at least two seconds to get the headlamp powerwash to activate. You don't have to wash the windshield two or three or four times.. just hold the washer long enough.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 AM
jerry@suscom.net
1st Gear
Fuse puller

Originally Posted by rkw
A red plastic fuse puller is provided at the bottom of the fuse box. Works fine to retrieve the spare fuses.
Not on my 06 MCC there isn't.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Then you are missing the fuse puller and you should ask your dealer. They have been standard issue on all MINI since the beginning. My car is also an 06 MCC. The fuse puller is described in the 2006 Owner's Manual page 139, "Plastic tweezers and spare fuses can be found in the fuse box in the vehicle interior". It is a red plastic tweezer and the storage location is below the bottom row of fuses.
Originally Posted by jerry@suscom.net
Not on my 06 MCC there isn't.
Originally Posted by rkw

Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
In reference to washing headlights:

Headlights on (maybe parking lights will work too haven't tested it), pull window washer stalk for at least two seconds to get the headlamp powerwash to activate. You don't have to wash the windshield two or three or four times.. just hold the washer long enough.
Only the first time. They will not squirt again for 3-4 pulls.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
The amount of seatbelt chimes if you fail to hook up your seat belt is exactly 91...annoying indeed.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI