R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
StallionAJG
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSA
The amount of seatbelt chimes if you fail to hook up your seat belt is exactly 91...annoying indeed.
YISH!

Also, don't attempt to stick it in reverse in a convertible with the tailgate down. The tailgate falls near enough to the sensor to trigger the straight tone for the parking detectors . . . not very pleasant.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DSA
The amount of seatbelt chimes if you fail to hook up your seat belt is exactly 91...annoying indeed.

you left you belt unbuckled long enough to count them?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 AM
rjyoder4
2nd Gear
Your MINI is trying to tell you something . . .

. . . Dude, you're harshin my mello, buckle up already. And OH by the way the tailgate's DOWN ! where you goin ?? . . . hey, have you been drinking ? . . .

Something like that. It's in the manual.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:37 AM
R56MCS
Banned
The seat height adjuster handle grabs the bottom of your pants leg every time you try and get out.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:05 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R56MCS
The seat height adjuster handle grabs the bottom of your pants leg every time you try and get out.
Awww, that's sweet; it's saying "don't go!"

Old 12-09-2006, 08:05 AM
R56MCS
Banned
I'm afraid I'm not so polite when I reply to it though

Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
purr
Neutral
de activate door locks

how do you get rid of the self locking dooors thank brad

Old 12-09-2006, 03:15 PM
millerd2
3rd Gear
purr - from what I understand it's something the dealership can do for you without much trouble. I haven't seen any postings on folks doing it themselves.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM :-)

Originally Posted by purr
how do you get rid of the self locking doors thank brad
Your dealer will need to do that for you. It's a programable option. It will only take 10 minutes, but most dealers will charge a half hour labor for it. If you just bought your car, they should do any programing changes for free.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:57 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
Daytime Running Lights & Xenon Headlamps

If you have xenon headlights, you are probably aware that they “pop up” approximately 5 – 7 seconds after you first turn them on. Due to a recent software update, I had the opportunity to have my DRLs enabled at no charge. Here’s something I noticed the other day. The DRLs are pointed down if you just start the car and go. Because the voltage to the headlamps is reduced when in DRL mode they do not self level themselves to the proper aiming point.

We can correct for that two ways.

One is to first turn on the headlights and then turn them off. I think this is stupid because I’ve read that it shortens the life of the xenon lamps if they are frequently switched on and off. Also, if you turn on the headlights, who needs the DRLs.

The other way, which I recommend, is to start the car, put it into gear, then hold the stalk/switch for the bright lights in the high beam flash mode for 5 – 7 seconds. This sends the full voltage to the headlamp unit and gets the lights to level/aim to the correct point.

If you are still reading this, perhaps you are thinking ‘so what’. Here’s my theory on it. If the DRLs are pointed down, they are less effective at putting the light down the road where they are more likely to catch the attention of pedestrians and other drivers. And that is my 2¢ on the matter. Happy Motoring

Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM
guevasd
3rd Gear
I have a Oct 06 Build MCS with the DRL enabled..
mine automatically level themselves without having to do any on-off or flash of the hibeams..

When I turn on the car, they point down, then level.. its a cool looking effect..then if i turn on the headlights (Xenon) they stay at the right level.

Maybe its a year thing?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by R56MCS
At work that would be called sexual harrassment! lol

Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by guevasd
I have a Oct 06 Build MCS with the DRL enabled..
mine automatically level themselves without having to do any on-off or flash of the hibeams..

When I turn on the car, they point down, then level.. its a cool looking effect..then if i turn on the headlights (Xenon) they stay at the right level.

Maybe its a year thing?
I have an '05 and they do the same thing. I never have issues with leveling, and the leveling happens immediately when I turn on the car, not 5-7 seconds later. That may actually be an issue the dealership should look into.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 05DSMCS
I have an '05 and they do the same thing. I never have issues with leveling, and the leveling happens immediately when I turn on the car, not 5-7 seconds later. That may actually be an issue the dealership should look into.
I have a very early '05 (9-04) build, my lights auto level when I turn them on. As soon as the switch is turned to or past the parking lights.

Steve

EDITED: Nevermind, I missed the fact that we are talking about DRL. I don't have DRL, which is why mine do not level until I turn them on.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
DRLs and Xenon headlamps

Originally Posted by 05DSMCS
Originally Posted by mielnicki
I have a very early '05 (9-04) build, my lights auto level when I turn them on. As soon as the switch is turned to or past the parking lights.

Steve
Mine is a 2-14-03 build. I'd be interested to hear from people with MINIs of a similar "vintage".

Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cleaning rear convertible window

Found the easiest way to clean the rear convertible window is from outside the car, through the boot opening. It's even easier if you release the latches inside the boot that let you raise the back of the convertible roof, but you can do it with the latches fastened.

Beats the heck out of crawling into the back seat to reach the window.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
I learned something new tonight!

We had 4 MCS's together with the Scenic City MINIs, and as we were walking towards the cars, we decided to unlock them all at the same time...try to make the lights flash together. We counted 1....2.....3.......NOTHING!

I guess all the signals flying around activated some sort of anti-theft system. None of the cars unlocked. We then unlocked our cars individually and everything worked fine, but no go on doing all 4 at the same time.

Rawhyde

Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
minitoo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by valnmike
Mine is a 2-14-03 build. I'd be interested to hear from people with MINIs of a similar "vintage".
I also have a 2/03 build date and my xenons turn on and immediately jump up to level. No delay.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
Auto glass

Just picked up my new MCS in St. Louis 11/18/06 and then found this thread on things you didn't know. Lots of neat stuff here
I did notice one thing that I have not seen yet and that is the smart power windows. The windows are set in a small groove in the weather stripping around the top of the glass and if you just opened the door it would tear up the rubber, soooo when you pull on the door release notice that the glass automaticaly rolls down about 1/2 inch and then when you close the door it moves up 1/2 inch. I have never seen that before. This is one neat car but I still remember my first mini, a '65 1275 S which I bought new in 1965.
Guess you can tell that I am one of those old guys.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:37 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ozarkroots
Just picked up my new MCS in St. Louis 11/18/06 and then found this thread on things you didn't know. Lots of neat stuff here
I did notice one thing that I have not seen yet and that is the smart power windows. The windows are set in a small groove in the weather stripping around the top of the glass and if you just opened the door it would tear up the rubber, soooo when you pull on the door release notice that the glass automaticaly rolls down about 1/2 inch and then when you close the door it moves up 1/2 inch. I have never seen that before. This is one neat car but I still remember my first mini, a '65 1275 S which I bought new in 1965.
Guess you can tell that I am one of those old guys.
Yeah thats because Mini's dont have pillars, every other car without pillars does the same thing, I think, I'm not sure, but I've seen it happen on a lot of cars.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
Guess I am just not used to a car that thinks for it's self. Still lots more fun than my son's Corvette.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:13 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by in the flesh
Yeah thats because Mini's dont have pillars, every other car without pillars does the same thing, I think, I'm not sure, but I've seen it happen on a lot of cars.
Actually, BMW pioneered this, and it really hasn't shown up on other cars without window frames until just the past couple of years, so it is still pretty rare. A fun little thing to show your friends.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:12 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minitoo
I also have a 2/03 build date and my xenons turn on and immediately jump up to level. No delay.
Thanks. It might not be 5-7 seconds, but it is a bit of time before mine level up. I'll have to ask about that next time it's in for service.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
ParrishBlue
4th Gear
The past few weeks we have had some bitter cold mornings, freezing and below. I ALWAYS warm up my engine even when its in the 60's. I noticed the car would *bing* right about the time I got to the end of the culdesac we live in and the temp on the on board computer would flash 7 times!

Its as if my Mini was looking out for me just in case I didn't know it was cold.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:06 PM
amg6975
4th Gear
^It will do that anytime it's below 37 or drops below 37 while you're driving. It just wants you to know that there might be ice on the road. Such nice cars.

Couple questions:

1) Do the side marker "follow me home" lights turn off after a certain period of time?

2) Is there a full list of the self test things...

The IKE has 21 test functions you can access by holding the trip button down while turning the ignition key. Press briefly to advance through menu options, press and hold to access that option. Tests 1&2 are always unlocked, Tests 3-21 are locked. Test number 19 is the "Unlock" function for getting to the rest of them.

Try subtest 2.0 (hold trip button, turn on key, press repeatedly to scroll up to 2.0, then hold). It runs a test that activates all gauges, LED's, and indicators. Very Cool!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI