R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, that's a myth that started some time ago with the older MINIs.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
ParrishBlue
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I have wondered about the spare key, if it needs to be used from time to time to transfer info. I keep mine in a special place but never use it. Should I?

PB

Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think there's any particular need to rotate the keys out. The owner's manual says that the keys are recharged while being used, but if the battery in the key goes dead, that just means that the remote part won't work. so, you'd have to open the door manually, but as soon as you insert the key and start the car, the battery in the key will begin charging again.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
ParrishBlue
4th Gear
Well, how cool is that! And does the key have your fastest speed logged on it? What other information is in that thing? Sounds like magic!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are in your garage working under the bonnet and need a little more light, turn on the xenons. an open bonnet angles them just enough forward off vertical to bounce off the ceiling and light up the engine almost like a shop light.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
also, if you share your car with somebody, you can tell at glance if its been driven recently by checking the exhaust tips. mine extend a good 2 inches as the exhaust heats up, then contract about an hour after being parked.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The brake lights don't work without the key in the ignition????? That's a problem!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by LynnEl
The brake lights don't work without the key in the ignition????? That's a problem!
And why, praytell, is this a problem? If your key is not in the ignition you should be parked and safely out of the way of any traffic - in the event of an emergency, use your flashers.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by riquiscott
I don't think there's any particular need to rotate the keys out. The owner's manual says that the keys are recharged while being used, but if the battery in the key goes dead, that just means that the remote part won't work. so, you'd have to open the door manually, but as soon as you insert the key and start the car, the battery in the key will begin charging again.
Depending on the type of battery used, it may be better not to let it run down all the way. Our salesperson told us to swap the keys if the second one wasn't used much (it isn't), so every few months I swap keys.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I believe that the 05 and 06's keys will recharge, but the years before. I know they don't for sure in mine.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
And why, praytell, is this a problem? If your key is not in the ignition you should be parked and safely out of the way of any traffic - in the event of an emergency, use your flashers.
Off Topic Post: This reminds me of a rule we had on the railroad a while back. We used to be able to get on and off railroad cars while they were moving(SLOW as in while switching cars in the yard). At one time, the folks higher up the pay scale decided on a new rule: Engineers (those of us who "drive" the train) were forbidden from getting on or off moving equipment. It seems to me that if the engineer is getting off the train, and it is still moving, the fact they are breaking that rule should be the LEAST of your concerns at that time. And if the train is moving, and they are trying to get on? Same concern as if they were trying to get off.

Okay, back on topic.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Nope, minie didn't work that way. One of mine died and it did not recharge on a 1200 mile round trip...had to go back to the dealer and have them put a new battery in and re-program it for me.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 AM
preppy325
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
The key recharges its transmitter when it's in the ignition switch on 05 and newer.

The UNLOCK button when held in will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof unless it has been de-activated.

The glovebox is refrigerated.

When you initially turn on the headlights, they'll be on low beam regardless of how they were when last turned off. The foglights are likewise off.

The controls on the automatic A/C are shaped like the MINI wings.

The annoying self-locking doors can be de-activated.

Daytime running lights can be programmed on or off per the owner's wishes.

When you activate the defroster, the rear defroster comes on as well.

There is a "pull ring" tucked under the rear seat to open the boot if there is an electrical failure.

There is a little toolkit included with the MINI.

There is a little tool to manually close the sunroof in case of an electrical failure.

The interior lights (or any other accessory) switches off after 15 minutes with the key off to prevent killing the battery.

The brake lights don't work without the key in the ignition.

The radio may turn off when you turn the key off, but you can turn it right back on without the key in the ignition.

The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.

There is an emergency release for the fuel door in the portside storage cubby hole in the boot.

All wipers can be lifted off the windshields, and they'll stay in the up position to keep them from freezing to the glass.

If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)

Are these the types of odd facts you were looking for?

Rawhyde
Do you know how to re-activate the windows to roll down when the UNLOCK button is held if the option has been de-activated?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by preppy325
Do you know how to re-activate the windows to roll down when the UNLOCK button is held if the option has been de-activated?
This can only be done at the dealer.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
shanes
2nd Gear
The 06 (not sure about earlier) HK headunit will play MP3 encoded CD's. This is a nice surprise, which is not advertised.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:28 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
I've got an '05 MC, with a standard factory stereo. It too plays mp3 cd's

Old 03-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Roeri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by paulo500
I've got an '05 MC, with a standard factory stereo. It too plays mp3 cd's
I wish mine did. I have an 02' with factory stereo.

My old car had a nice MP3 player in it. I got very used to it.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Because if you are parked at the side of the road, as in parked in front of your house, and someone is sitting in the car, they should be able to hit the brake when it looks like the idiot zig-zagging down the street is about to rear-end them.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
A great many of the items posted (almost all) are in the manual. So, if these things are regularly coming as a surprise, maybe you should read the manual??

Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Re: brake lights being a problem sans key in ignition - just use the hazards instead. In any case only the driver, who one assumes would have the key, can reach the brakes whereas pretty much anyone in the car can reach the hazards if needed to warn off someone, etc.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A great many of the items posted (almost all) are in the manual. So, if these things are regularly coming as a surprise, maybe you should read the manual??
Because there is so much in there it is easy to forget...

Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
i didnt know that you could go through your preset radio stations through the MFSW

Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
I noticed several things over the weekend. The "pulls" on the inside of the hatch, as well as the glove box pull, are designed like the door pulls.

You can turn the clock on for a few seconds by pushing in that odometer reset rod. The car doesn't have to be on, and you don't need a key.

The head rests on the rear seats Actually extend upward. I've had folks in the back before, and never considered the headrests are naturally in the "down" position. It also delivers just a taste of the cabrio's rear view.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
ettwein
Neutral
Headlamp washers

Originally Posted by petecrosby
The washer jets are pushed out by water pressure from the pump. Is there
fluid in the headlight washer reservoir? The reservoir on the passenger's side
is for the windshield and rear glass. The reservoir on the driver's side is for
the headlight washers.
I was embarrassed to just find out that there's a special reservoir for fluid for the headlamp washers. I guess I was just lucky that it went to the dealer enough that they'd top it off for me. I never even noticed the dang thing.

Jim 2004 MCS PrimeMINIster

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing I noticed--the windshield washer reservoir is similar to the coolant reservoir--be sure to get the right one!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI