R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, don't fill up the washer reservoirs immediately before an autocross event! The first round of hard braking will cause the washer fluid to "barf up" out of the reservoirs and splash all over the engine compartment.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
If you set the automatic climate control for "outside fresh air" by setting the temperature control to "LO" and turning off the A/C, be aware that the next time you start the car, the air conditioner will come back "on" by default.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to have the autocrossing warning!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Good to have the autocrossing warning!
Hopefully it'll save you from the gut-wrenching feeling I had when I finished my first run, got out of the car, and saw liquid dripping out onto the ground from underneath the bonnet. I initially thought I had overheated/cracked something during the run, but another MINI owner saw me, laughed, and explained what was happening.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having seen the consequences of a radiator neck fracture in two cars, I'd be horrified at the sight!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louispup
You can turn the clock on for a few seconds by pushing in that odometer reset rod. The car doesn't have to be on, and you don't need a key.
this function is actually so that u can check the mileage on the odometer w/o a key in the ignition.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Minut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shanes
The 06 (not sure about earlier) HK headunit will play MP3 encoded CD's. This is a nice surprise, which is not advertised.
And it will play nested directories (folders).

Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
texaspaul
2nd Gear
is there anyway to get the song name to be displayed?
i can only get numbers.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
this function is actually so that u can check the mileage on the odometer w/o a key in the ignition.
Fine then. Additionally, did you know you can check the time?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM
bucky082642
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CruiseControl
I know some of these are in the manual but...
If equipped w/ Conv. package or in separates:
Rain Sensing Wipers work not only in delay intervals, but also Low and High.

Auto Garage door opener only works with the IGN on, prevents someone from breaking a glass in your car (parked in the driveway) to gain access to your garage/home. I know of another brands that are always hot. The garage door opener option can be added on by other nifty stuff at homelink.com

Auto headlights have settings that can be changed, but how i don't know. All I do know is if headlights are manually turned on, and car is shut off, and the switch is moved back to Automatic, the lights will stay on for about a minute or so.

It took me awhile to find it but, the cabin air filter is located horizontally directlly underneath the passenger glove compartment.

To make sure you propely secure the bonnet, pull down the hood about two feet above its closed position, and put your palm in the center of the hood on the MINI logo and shut it. This applies equal pressure to both hood latches, closes it equally to prevent the paint from cracking.

I know it is mentioned allready in above posts, but as I park the car prior to exit, I hit the unlock switch on the dash to unlock the doors. It will keep a non-MINI person from pulling on the doorhandle, and it will make the boot hatch able to open/close until you lock the car.
Concerning the cabin air filter, I just replaced mine this week. For some reason I had assumed that the service dept at my dealer would do this at the regular servicing. That apparently hadn't happened. When
I removed the filter it was completely clogged with crud. The one I removed appeared to be the original with 53k+ miles instead of the 15k recommended.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The dealer is supposed to change the filter at the scheduled intervals. It doesn't surprise me that some will feel "who's gonna know?"

Old 04-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
^^ +1

In other news, a small, tiny little item: I just noticed that the MCS fuel filler cover hinge has a small "hook" for the cap tether. Odd that I've overlooked it now for a year since my tether has not been properly hooked and getting in the way of the hinge closing properly. My, my what a big help the little hook is!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
to rawhyde u said : The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.

i tried it and i really have no idea how it can fit behind the frontseats upside down or even right side up or even vertical or horizontal. if you could post a pic so i have an idea how it looks. maybe i can figure out how to put it right. thank you.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
ripnrik
1st Gear
Parcel Shelf

Just match up the curved, indented portion of the shelf with the hump in the floor, concave portion of the shelf toward the rear of your mini. (lay the rear seats forward) and it will be more obvious.

If that doesn't do it for you, them move your front seats forward and try again !

Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
ripnrik u mean the parcel shelf touch the floor? i have an 'o6 model there's a divider on the back seat. so for the parcel shelf to touch the floor, ive to cut it in half. a pic will really help me .

Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 AM
ripnrik
1st Gear
Pics of Shelf

Can't believe I just went out at 0530 and took pictures of my mini, but try these. The shelf doesn't actually touch the floor, just the hump...

Attached Thumbnails Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-dcp_2941.jpg   Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-dcp_2942.jpg  
Old 04-03-2007, 04:42 AM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
ripnrik: oooohhh . gotcha. thank you. so why does 1 poster say it's life altering? so basically. u do that when the seat is down. more cargo room? i thought it's to elevate the feet of backseat passenger as a better legroom.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The standard heater/AC vent controls probably work the same on any car that has a circular dial control, but I didn't know you could put the dial anywhere to get the mix of air you want. I always put it right on one of the markings. For example if you wanted air out the dash vents and out the floor vents I would just put it on that mark. The I realized by turning it a bit from there, I could get more air out of the dash or more out of the floor vents depending on which way I turned it . Ok, not that big of a deal but ... I had to try and contribute something to this very long thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 AM
STEWIE
3rd Gear
I read this entire thread about a month ago and dont remember if I saw this one:

When listening to the radio/CD/Ipod with the ignition off, it will turn itself off after 30 minutes. Also if you are listening to the radio/CD/Ipod and start your MINI, the radio/CD/Ipod stays on with no interuption.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 AM
doodlez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ripnrik
Can't believe I just went out at 0530 and took pictures of my mini, but try these. The shelf doesn't actually touch the floor, just the hump...
Another bit about the shelf. Sorry if someone already mentioned this one.

If you are loading cumbersome objects into the boot and want the shelf out of the way, just disconnect it from the boot, leaving the strings attached to the hooks, and "hang" the lip of the shelf on the top lip of the boot opening (where the seal is). I'll try to take some pictures later if this doesn't make sense.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rwkeating
The standard heater/AC vent controls probably work the same on any car that has a circular dial control, but I didn't know you could put the dial anywhere to get the mix of air you want. I always put it right on one of the markings. For example if you wanted air out the dash vents and out the floor vents I would just put it on that mark. The I realized by turning it a bit from there, I could get more air out of the dash or more out of the floor vents depending on which way I turned it . Ok, not that big of a deal but ... I had to try and contribute something to this very long thread
I was actually thinking about this exact issue on my way to work this morning (being too lazy to check it out myself) and here you go and post about it. It's very helpful, thank you.

Last edited by Rennie; 04-06-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
dlroto
3rd Gear
I find all of this info so helpful, thanx everyone who threw in their 2 cents

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 AM
ripnrik
1st Gear
Originally Posted by doodlez
Another bit about the shelf. Sorry if someone already mentioned this one.

If you are loading cumbersome objects into the boot and want the shelf out of the way, just disconnect it from the boot, leaving the strings attached to the hooks, and "hang" the lip of the shelf on the top lip of the boot opening (where the seal is). I'll try to take some pictures later if this doesn't make sense.
Good suggestion, but add a warning that with the shelf in that position, it is real easy to "forget" to put it back and shut the hatch with not too favorable results. Been there and almost done that.....

Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
cool...yesterday I needed to load some foldup chairs into the car and folded down the rear seat to load them and tried the hanging rear shelf trick just mentioned...nice idea....plus |I remembered the caution to not forget to put the shelf back before closing the boot....nice trick

Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Also you can place the rear shelf on the rear seat cushion and then drop the seat backs without crushing the shelf!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI