R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM
muggy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After trying what tio barry said, I think this is a better fit than putting it in the rear foot area. I think maybe this is what people were trying to say when they said the rear shelf is made in a way it can be conveniently stored.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys got me all curious. I ran down to the car just now and tried it. I put it in 3 or 4 different ways.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm still not a believer. No matter which way I tried flipping it, or where on the seat I positioned it, there was still pressure being exerted on the shelf. I am not convinced - at least in my '05 MCS - that it wouldn't crack or break with weight on the folded seat backs.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
muggy
4th Gear
The seats rest on the shelf, but I don't think it's anywhere near enough weight to damage the shelf. Maybe only if all the weight was at the headrest area. It seems to really stay though, when the groove is matched over the middle hump.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aqualung
on the H/K head unit, if the bass & volume are set past the default "mid point", a volume limiter kicks in to prevent damage to the speakers (and your ears ), no matter how high you turn it up.

Also, pre '06 (I think, someone verify as I'm on an '04) no matter how hard you look , the automatic sound level adjuster doesn't exist despite what the manual says
+1 on that!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Don't know if this has been listed. I went completely through the thread a few weeks ago and it wasn't, but haven't gone back today. I have an 06 MCS convertible and when you quickly push the rear window button above the mirror for them to go automatically down, they do, then the front windows also follow suit! pretty cool, I thought!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe this thread has continued on and is now on it's 831st post.

AMAZING GUYS & GALS!!!!

Keep the tips, tricks and info coming!!! LET'S NOT LEAVE OUT THE R56!!!!

Please remember to post Year and Model of your vehicle when adding information!!!

:-) ~Newdl

Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The R56 has a similar thread all its own, in the '07+ category...

Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
hehehe

Originally Posted by spike1201
I didn't know that there was such an awesome community out there for fellow MINI owners! I've had my MINI for only one month and already I'm feeling like I'm part of a wonderful family.

My only problem now is getting to bed on time. I get so lost in these forums that I could read this stuff all night!

Then again, I also can't wait to climb back into my MINI and motor off.

Life is indeed good!

spike
i don't know whats more funny... the fact that I'm still up reading the forum or the fact that this post is from early 06 and i'm responding... lol...

i feel the same way though yo... lol...

Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sorry..another one about the rear intermittant wiper

this has probably been posted previously: ('04 MC)

ok, I know that the frequency of the intermittant REAR wiper is based on the speed that the front wipers are set, but today during this lovely rainy Nor'easter, I was playing and saw something I did not know:

front at fast speed............rear goes across every 1.5 seconds
front at slower speed........ rear goes across every 2.5 seconds
front set at intermittant.....rear goes every 14 seconds

the above makes sense, but I would have expected that if front wipers are turned off, the rears would go with the least frequency, however I found that when the front wipers are off, the rear goes every 8 seconds

so to get the rears to go the least amount so they don't start chattering against the not too wet rear windshield and not be annoying, I needed to set the fronts at intermittant rather than off

Last edited by umberto; 04-15-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Interesting. I wonder if the R56 does the same. Like you, I find that when I just have the rear wipers on intermittent, they wipe too frequently.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Of course, apart from the actual number of seconds between wipes, the rears wipe on every 3rd wipe of the fronts (when they're on).

Old 04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
Don't know if this is completely true, but a friend of mine whom I trust, told me on a specific year of the M5, depending on the outside temp, and the temp of the car, the redline will fluctuate more or less. He told me they put that on some models of the MCS as well, thats why there are different tick marks for the redline, yet not all are lit up.

I've tried a couple of times to see if my '03 MCS has it, but despite morning, noon, or night, its always the same...

...could be the fact that I live in Southern California and there are no significant temperature drops

Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlecS
Don't know if this is completely true, but a friend of mine whom I trust, told me on a specific year of the M5, depending on the outside temp, and the temp of the car, the redline will fluctuate more or less. He told me they put that on some models of the MCS as well, thats why there are different tick marks for the redline, yet not all are lit up.

I've tried a couple of times to see if my '03 MCS has it, but despite morning, noon, or night, its always the same...

...could be the fact that I live in Southern California and there are no significant temperature drops
M5, M3. and M Roadster(315HP version only) do this. MINIs do not, even though it'd be cool and the hardware is already there as you point out...all it'd need is software.

Rawhyde

Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM
ffwdm5
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
M5, M3. and M Roadster(315HP version only) do this. MINIs do not, even though it'd be cool and the hardware is already there as you point out...all it'd need is software.

Rawhyde
I think the variable rev limiter on the M-Series BMWs is more for the initial cold start. The tach has additional LEDs lit that show the rev limit lower than the normal setting and as the engine comes up to operating temperature (and becomes completely lubed with motor oil), the rev limit increases and the LEDs turn off.

In our cars, I believe MINI commonized the tach with all models, including the Diesel model from Europe (and why wouldn't they, save tooling costs for unique parts). The Diesel has a lower rev limit and the tach is illuminated as such. I don't think the bulbs are included in our tachs since they are gasoline powered. The rpm restriction for cold starting still applies, but it is left to the driver to make the adjustment using his right foot.

On a completely different topic, something most people don't notice, but it is the case with all MINIs that have the sunroof (from '02 - '06 anyway): the pictograms on the sunroof switch are printed in "reverse". The switch operates properly, pull back - sunroof opens, push forward - sunroof closes. But the arrows are backward and the "sunroof open" image is upside down when viewed from the driver's seat. The outline arrow should be pointing to the back of the car to indicate an open sunroof, while the solid arrow should point forward for a closed sunroof. This is the same type of symbolizm used on the dash vents: open circle - open vent, closed circle - closed vent. I've compared the switch to BMW vehicles and on our MINIs, it is definitely printed with the images reverse of the intended operation.

Unless you take a look at the switch in the car, you probably will have no idea what I am talking about. But I swear, it's true.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:45 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
That is actually very interesting. However, I have never even looked at the switch. It's on the roof, it works intuitively, and that's it!

Zip

Originally Posted by ffwdm5
On a completely different topic, something most people don't notice, but it is the case with all MINIs that have the sunroof (from '02 - '06 anyway): the pictograms on the sunroof switch are printed in "reverse". The switch operates properly, pull back - sunroof opens, push forward - sunroof closes. But the arrows are backward and the "sunroof open" image is upside down when viewed from the driver's seat. The outline arrow should be pointing to the back of the car to indicate an open sunroof, while the solid arrow should point forward for a closed sunroof. This is the same type of symbolizm used on the dash vents: open circle - open vent, closed circle - closed vent. I've compared the switch to BMW vehicles and on our MINIs, it is definitely printed with the images reverse of the intended operation.

Unless you take a look at the switch in the car, you probably will have no idea what I am talking about. But I swear, it's true.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Good-Karma
3rd Gear
Location: Spring City, PA/Williamsport, PA/Benton, PA/Devon, PA
maybe they mean for the coloured end to be like "Youre getting so much sun it will be all white out"

Old 05-12-2007, 04:23 PM
backfire_s
Neutral
Location: Belgium ...yeah, I bet you don't know where that is
did you know that when you unlock the car with the (cheap spare key in my case) key in the doorlock, the alarm will be triggered if you don't start the car immediatly

I have the OCB thing (or whatever it is called), but I'm missing the 'Speed' option ... I think it was still there when the dealer showed me how it worked ...but it somehow disapeared I think :(

or am i wrong? now i only have 'average speed' .. whil i should have 'actual speed' too?

grtz

Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't know if this was mentioned. I took my rear license plate off today and found a barcode with the VIN on the boot hatch.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
ExMiataman
Neutral
Originally Posted by ffwdm5
I think the variable rev limiter on the M-Series BMWs is more for the initial cold start. The tach has additional LEDs lit that show the rev limit lower than the normal setting and as the engine comes up to operating temperature (and becomes completely lubed with motor oil), the rev limit increases and the LEDs turn off.

In our cars, I believe MINI commonized the tach with all models, including the Diesel model from Europe (and why wouldn't they, save tooling costs for unique parts). The Diesel has a lower rev limit and the tach is illuminated as such. I don't think the bulbs are included in our tachs since they are gasoline powered. The rpm restriction for cold starting still applies, but it is left to the driver to make the adjustment using his right foot.
On my '03, the LEDs on the tach lit up when my EML light turned on (and my car almost died ). I turned it off and restarted it. It ran fine and the EML light and the LEDs on the tach did not come back on.

Edit for clarification: the lights on the high-end of the tach are normally on, but the ones that are not normally on came on with the EML light.

Last edited by ExMiataman; 05-24-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
If you have a Cooper and you need to use the spare, the kit in the boot includes a large white plastic bag, generous enough to put your wheel and tire inside. Keeping your MC clean while lowering stress.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
ChiliRedS
2nd Gear
I was told by my dealer that the speed is not shown on the tach on the '02-'03 model and was added in '04.

[/quote]I have the OCB thing (or whatever it is called), but I'm missing the 'Speed' option ... I think it was still there when the dealer showed me how it worked ...but it somehow disapeared I think :(

or am i wrong? now i only have 'average speed' .. whil i should have 'actual speed' too?

grtz[/quote]

Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
dennisd63
5th Gear
Don't know if it's already been covered, but if you lower the rear seats, the point of attachment (when the seats are up and locked) has a hinged component that lifts up. When you lift this, and return the rear seats up, the back of the rear seats are tilted about 5 ot 6 inches more forward. This increases the boot storage area and still allows 2 people in the back.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Don't know if this has been covered, but the big cup holder in the '06 has a little wine glass symbol with a slant line going thru it where it swivels. Never noticed it before.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rc'S
Don't know if this has been covered, but the big cup holder in the '06 has a little wine glass symbol with a slant line going thru it where it swivels. Never noticed it before.
Ahh. The international sign for "no wine glasses."

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 AM
ASC
2nd Gear
dennisd63,

Which point of attachment is that? Is it the hinged area where seat bottom meets the seat back?

Or is it where the seat back latches onto the "U" shaped bar attached to the plastic above the rear wheels?

I'd love to get some more room in the boot, but I'm thoroughly confused how this works. I looked around back there and couldn't find a "hinged-portion".

Thanks,

Al

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI