R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a trick I use on my '04 MCS when I want to lock the doors without activating the factory alarm and motion detector. I figured out how to do this after having a situation where I needed to go into a store for a couple of minutes and had to leave my cat in the car. (Okay, don't flame me, it was only for two minutes and the car was parked in the shade. Blame the store. They wouldn't allow animals inside ) When I tried locking the door with the key, the alarm would automatically turn on. Then, as soon as the cat moved and set off the motion detector, the alarm would go off.

Here's the procedure that I came up with to lock the doors without turning on the alarm:
1. Get out and shut driver's door.
2. Get in passenger's side.
3. Lock driver's door by using the plunger.
4. Get out through passenger's side door.
5. Lock passenger's door by using the plunger.
6. When you close the passenger's door, the car is locked, but not armed.

To get back in the car:
1. Insert key in driver's door lock.
2. Then turn to the right to lock and arm car.
3. Turn key to left to unlock and disarm.
4. If these last two steps aren't followed, the doors have to be opened by the inside handles to reactivate alarm.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
trico
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sunroof closes with one push of the button only if the car's ignition is in the accessory or on position. If the car is off, within a minute or two after you turn it off you can close the sunroof without turning the car on but, you must hold the button for the full length of travel of the sunroof to the closed position.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
RuleTheBends
1st Gear
I have a question. I have a 2006 mcs with 10k miles. Ever since the mini rally at deals gap, I've noticed the car seems a little different. Sometimes when I start the car (and it doesn't matter when the last time it was driven), it will act like it is cold and about to quit running a couple times had to restart because it did stall. Also when I was coming back from a trip (it was driven maybe for 2hours), I pulled off the road and was waiting in traffic and it just shut off in drive. what's up? I had it checked out at the mini dealer and they said the computer showed no defaults. It's automatic and premium gas is always used. Anybody had this problem?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trico
The sunroof closes with one push of the button only if the car's ignition is in the accessory or on position. If the car is off, within a minute or two after you turn it off you can close the sunroof without turning the car on but, you must hold the button for the full length of travel of the sunroof to the closed position.
Huh? In mine if I am driving (car's ignition is obviously on) and i press the button forward once, it closes but doesn't lower, if that's clear. I have to press it again to lower to the fully closed position.

So how do you close yours with one push?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 AM
water
1st Gear
headlight beams adjusting?

My car - '03 MCS, with xenon headlights (well, they don't look like xenons of 05 or 06, but they have "xenon" written on them, so I guess they are).

I noticed that when I start driving with low beams on, they adjust down (lower) at about 10mph or so.

At first I thought it was my imagination, or me shifting, or the road - but after failing to eliminate this effect by starting off very smoothly on a very smooth road I'm convinced that when stopped, my low beams are pointing a bit higher then when driving. Anybody else have an 03 with xenon lights? can anybody confirm my observation?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
"So how do you close yours with one push?"

By never releasing the push depression?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 AM
seaniem
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TRUSTNO1MINIMAN
I have a question. I have a 2006 mcs with 10k miles. Ever since the mini rally at deals gap, I've noticed the car seems a little different. Sometimes when I start the car (and it doesn't matter when the last time it was driven), it will act like it is cold and about to quit running a couple times had to restart because it did stall. Also when I was coming back from a trip (it was driven maybe for 2hours), I pulled off the road and was waiting in traffic and it just shut off in drive. what's up? I had it checked out at the mini dealer and they said the computer showed no defaults. It's automatic and premium gas is always used. Anybody had this problem?
i think a bunch of us have experienced this...i finally figured out that if i use Hess gas (not sure if they're nationwide or only east coast), the car starts and runs smoothly. switch back to another brand, and it stumbles like crazy when i start it. it's bizarre, but true.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 AM
trico
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Huh? In mine if I am driving (car's ignition is obviously on) and i press the button forward once, it closes but doesn't lower, if that's clear. I have to press it again to lower to the fully closed position.

So how do you close yours with one push?
You are correct - one push with ignition on will bring the sunroof to the vent position. A second push is need to close completely. If the ignition is off the button must be continuously depressed to close and lower.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
trico
6th Gear
Whoops - duplicate post

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde

The UNLOCK button when held in will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof unless it has been de-activated.
I'm guessing the dealer can and will reactivate this on request? '06 MC

Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
I'm guessing the dealer can and will reactivate this on request? '06 MC
Yes, it's a dealer programmable feature.

Zip

Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
Here in the USA, this isn't included with the car. In the UK, as I understand it, the car is equipped with a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, traffic triangles wheel chocks, and a green reflective vest...anyone care to confirm all of this?
we ordered our car with american specs.. in germany..
it has the mini cooper firstaid kit, and traffic triangle.. no wheel chocks, or vest..

Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 AM
chava007
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mexican mini cooper has the first aid kit and the triangles :-)

Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Yes, it's a dealer programmable feature.

Zip
Thanks, I actually read about 70% of the thread now.

A new one I believe:
Do not try to lift the rear seats up by using the locking holes (Rectangular). Sliced my finger open the first week I had Pepe, there's some very sharp surfaces in there. '06 MC.

I think the auto windows/sunroof open feature is the only feature I want toggled on that I don't have or like.

One issue, I have auto-on headlights and Xenons, it would be nice if you could set a delay after ignition before they came on so I have time to pull out of my garage (into normally broad daylight). I'd have to turn off the auto-on headlights to prevent this. The flip side to this would be I'd have the same delay at night but I only need ~20 seconds.
Guess I'll have to get in the habit of turning them off when I come home.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 AM
MiniFoot
2nd Gear
Just in case you forget to do so you can reach and close the gas lid while still sitting in the driver seat.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 AM
water
1st Gear
The clock above the rear-view mirror - if you press and hold both buttons, it will toggle between 24h ("military") and 12h (am/pm) options. If you disconnect it, it goes to default - european - 24h system.

As for gas lid - i noticed if unlock the door by pulling the handle inside (but don't open the door) the lid is still locked.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
When you're done filling your tank and you remove the Gas dispenser, if you point the open hole on the gas dispenser to the sky above you, it will reduce the drip (in the hose/handle) which may get on your MINI (but the fuel door needs to be open so your car door will need to be unlocked...)

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Misarje
Neutral
Key Nuisance

Is there a way to have the key unlock all the doors on the first press? I have a 2004 and you have to press it twice to unlock all of the doors.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
since we're talking about door locks...there's one thing i really hate with my cooper s... when the car is unlocked...i'd like all of the doors to be unlocked. there's nothing more inconvienent than having to walk around to the driver side when i want to put something on the passenger seat. or worse yet...you jump out to open the boot and its locked. you have to come back in to flip that unlock switch.... DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

)
bob

Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Misarje
Is there a way to have the key unlock all the doors on the first press? I have a 2004 and you have to press it twice to unlock all of the doors.
I've been told the dealer can reprogram the car to do that. I have the same issue. Car lights flash on first press, but nothing on succeeding presses. Because the second press was not heard by the car too many times, I now find myself pressing the unlock button 4-5 times, just to be sure. When I take my car in for scheduled service and some clutch/airbag work, I plan to ask them to do that.

Our stupid American-made van flashes the driver's side lights on the first press, and all the lights on the second. Obvious whether it worked or not.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The ability to unlock both doors and the boot *can* be programmed by the dealer on some cars, but at some point, that feature was deleted. On my 2006, the dealer tried to program the car for one-press unlocking of both doors, but was unable to. When he looked into it, he found out the feature was no longer available.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 AM
auscoops
3rd Gear
HK sound sys

Hi guys, sorry to post - if this has already been answered... Too many pages to sift through

Question:

I have the Mini Cooper S Chilli, with HK etc. My question to the gurus is:- does the HK system have a feature where it displays the file name of MP3 tracks?

It displays the names of radio stations here in AUS that have that service.

Cheers

Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 AM
water
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
"So how do you close yours with one push?"

By never releasing the push depression?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 AM
water
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniFoot
Just in case you forget to do so you can reach and close the gas lid while still sitting in the driver seat.
sweeeet!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
The key recharges its transmitter when it's in the ignition switch on 05 and newer.

The UNLOCK button when held in will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof unless it has been de-activated.

The glovebox is refrigerated.

When you initially turn on the headlights, they'll be on low beam regardless of how they were when last turned off. The foglights are likewise off.

The controls on the automatic A/C are shaped like the MINI wings.

The annoying self-locking doors can be de-activated.

Daytime running lights can be programmed on or off per the owner's wishes.

When you activate the defroster, the rear defroster comes on as well.

There is a "pull ring" tucked under the rear seat to open the boot if there is an electrical failure.

There is a little toolkit included with the MINI.

There is a little tool to manually close the sunroof in case of an electrical failure.

The interior lights (or any other accessory) switches off after 15 minutes with the key off to prevent killing the battery.

The brake lights don't work without the key in the ignition.

The radio may turn off when you turn the key off, but you can turn it right back on without the key in the ignition.

The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.

There is an emergency release for the fuel door in the portside storage cubby hole in the boot.

All wipers can be lifted off the windshields, and they'll stay in the up position to keep them from freezing to the glass.

If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)

Are these the types of odd facts you were looking for?

Rawhyde
how cold does the glove box get??

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI