R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniStupidfun
how cold does the glove box get??
Cold enough to keep chocolate from melting...

I'll check over the weekend if it'll keep your beer cold.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up some drive-thru burgers the other day and didn't want them sliding around till I got home (no, they weren't "sliders") so I strapped them into the passenger seat. The seat warmer also does a good job with temp. control.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by auscoops
does the HK system have a feature where it displays the file name of MP3 tracks?
no, it'll play them in the 05 & 06 models but but it will only show track numbers. The radio station name thing is a different feature.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:56 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Anyone know how to check engine temperature on a cooper with Nav? I am lacking the additional needle, and only have the overheat light to check my temp.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
From what's been said around the forums, the needle doesn't give a real indication of temperature either--it normalizes the temp so that the needle is always in the middle when at operating temp regardless of what the actual temp is, so long as it's acceptable.

But to see the temp, try hooking up a ScanGauge to your OBDII port.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Miniprincess04
1st Gear
The UNLOCK button when held in will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof unless it has been de-activated.

Is this in all Mini models or just newer ones?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
minidp
1st Gear
Things I wish I could change....

I'd like the windows to roll up with one touch, just like they do when you want them to go down.

There should be a boot opening lever somewhere. I sometimes want to load the car when I don't have the key with me.

How does one reset the Average MPG on the OBC? I'd like to see it reset whenever I reset the trip odometer, but it doesn't seem to. I'd like to see it measure Avg MPG per tankful.

And a question - do the key fobs contain settings that change between keys? If so, which ones? (ok, that's two).

Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
How does one reset the Average MPG on the OBC? I'd like to see it reset whenever I reset the trip odometer, but it doesn't seem to. I'd like to see it measure Avg MPG per tankful.
With the average MPG displayed, depress and hold the OBC button down until it resets - I cycle through and do a reset on the average MPG and the average speed at every fill.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
minidp
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks for that tip! I had pushed the reset button while displaying Avg MPG, but I probably didn't hold it down long enough. Knowing that it can be done is all I needed - although two reset presses per tankful - I'm not sure I can handle all that complexity. Our Prius resets avg mpg automatically when it senses the tank has been filled.

Originally Posted by rhawth99
With the average MPG displayed, depress and hold the OBC button down until it resets - I cycle through and do a reset on the average MPG and the average speed at every fill.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 PM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Factory Grille Mounted Foglights

Can the stock setup be manipulated such that the foglights can be used without the High-beams on?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Might try getting in touch with Ian to get ahold of the Rally Light Relay module ...

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minidump
Thanks for that tip! I had pushed the reset button while displaying Avg MPG, but I probably didn't hold it down long enough. Knowing that it can be done is all I needed - although two reset presses per tankful - I'm not sure I can handle all that complexity. Our Prius resets avg mpg automatically when it senses the tank has been filled.
Just to be clear...not the reset button on the Speedo for the odometer, but the OBC button on the stalk. Same one you change the computer display with. Press and hold until number goes away ("---").

Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 PM
LowCountry S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MaxMini81
Can the stock setup be manipulated such that the foglights can be used without the High-beams on?
Wait..you're saying the "fog lamps" only work with the High Beams on? That's kinda counter productive isnt it? I learned to drive with the "low beams" in the fog (less light reflecting from the water droplets), and I know my fog lamps come on with just the regular "low beams" on (did about an hour ago on the way home to show my son the difference in the light on the road.
BTW this is an AWESOME thread; had my 04 IB/W stripes MCS for about 2 weeks now and learned all kinds of stuff and yes I READ the manual,(all of them) before I read this thread or knew of it's existence! Excellent work by all who contributed!!Thank you all!!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
No no that's not right.

The FOG lamps work as long as the headlamps are on.

The DRIVING lamps, by law (technically) are wired with the high beams. The point is so that you use them when you would need high beams. If you use them when you only need low beams, you'd blind people (they're really bright and focused).

You CAN make them work without the high beams. You either need to wire them to their own seperate switch, or else you can get a circuit from Ian (see post above) to work it through an unused toggle.

But you really do NOT want to use them when you have people coming your way, you will blind them.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fogs work as long as your parking lights/low beams are on.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:51 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
Tip: (this happened to me last night)

If shortly after leaving Taco Bell you feel like your a-- is on fire, before blaming the food establishment for your condition and discomfort, check that you didn't accidentally press the driver's heated seat switch when you released the parking brake.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
What in Taco Bell could possibly make your a$$ feel like it's on fire?

Zip

Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This happened to me while waiting for the drive-in teller--thought I really had a hot catalytic converter. Apparently I bumped it when I put the window down. They work!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
Loved It!

I'm a noob to this Forum from all the way in Perth, Western Australia. I decided to join (hope noone really minds - even tho I'm not IN North America), simply because I stumbled upon this brilliant thread - which I have read from start to finish.

I have a November 04 (MY05) Cooper S Chilli over here. Keep up to good work everyone.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM
millerd2
3rd Gear
Learned about the run-flat reset button

My wife and I were driving through the Virginia countryside with our 3-year old Schnoodle (a designer mutt - half Schnauzer/half Poodle) in the car with us. He's having a great time, bouncing around the back seat when he decided to check out the view from the passenger seat. Shortly afterwards I noticed our tire deflation light was illuminated so I pulled off the road and did a quick inspection. Nothing looked out of place so we proceeded at the designated 50 mph until we could get to a gas station.

While I'm driving, my wife is reviewing the owner's manual and reading the checklist to me. We noticed the entry about resetting the run-flat button if the tires seem to be okay. After checking the pressure in each tire we discovered our beloved Schnoodle must have stepped on the run-flat reset button which is conveniently located next to the emergency brake. Good thing too - we were in a location that had never heard about run-flat tires.

Lesson learned - it's pretty easy to hit the run-flat reset button if you've got a hyper active dog in the car.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
To unlock all of the doors at once, including the boot...

On my '03 MC, the drivers side door lock has stopped working with the Key Fob, so I've been having to use lock the door the old fashioned way, by putting the key into the lock on the drivers side door and turning it.

When you do this, you can accomplish a few things.

When locking, hold the key in the 'lock' position and all of the windows and sunroof will close.

When unlocking with the key, it will not only unlock the passenger side door, but the boot as well.

At least it does on mine.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
And when it's real hot, it's nice to use the remote on the key to open up the windows and sunroof. But if you've not already done that by the time you open the door for your SO, (and I suppose you might be quick to get the AC going, despite any lack of performance ), it's easy to click "lock" from your key, then unlock twice and depress as you walk around to the driver's door.

Provided the key is functioning properly.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
I need to get all the good bits activated, but will probably need to wait for the next oil change (another 16000k's) to do so. My key doesn't do much at the moment - isn't linked to the Sunroof etc.

Also, I read on one of the pages about a 'chime' when you jiggle your keys near the ignition or something to that effect? Mine doesn't seem to do anything?!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Every car with cruise control I've ever had - the gas pedal itself would move as the cruise control system gave the engine more gas. The MINIs pedal doesn't move at all. Of course that's because it is "throttle by wire" but still made for an "Aha!" moment a few days ago. Yes, it took me months to notice.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
chrisng
2nd Gear
this thread is the best! this is second time i've read through it and i've learned somethign everytime!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI