R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
If you have DRLs, you can turn them off an turn on your fog lights on (I like to turn fogs on w/out my Xenons or DRL in heavy fog) by pulling your e-brake up one click.

Works on my 03 MC anyways...

W/out DRLs programmed, you can have your fogs on w/out headlights, simply by turning on your parking lights.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just giving High Energy a thorough cleaning inside - every nook and cranny kind of cleaning.

While I was under the drivers seat I noticed what at first appeared to be an audio cassette case stuck under a flap in the carpet. But it was not.

It seems like a small compartment, with a divider in it, currently empty. It is about 4" x 3" x .5" and sticks out of the carpet about 1" has the Mini logo on the small bit that shows.

Anyone know what this is for? Was there something in there that came with the car but is now gone? Or is it a small hiding compartment (although for what I could not imagine)?

Thanks

Last edited by Mini-RI; 09-10-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Every car with cruise control I've ever had - the gas pedal itself would move as the cruise control system gave the engine more gas. The MINIs pedal doesn't move at all. Of course that's because it is "throttle by wire" but still made for an "Aha!" moment a few days ago. Yes, it took me months to notice.
My 2005 Chevy work truck does this. Seemed really weird at first. Especially when I want to cancel the cruise (by button; not brake), it's hard to tell how much throttle to give it without accelerating a little first.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 AM
THAMINI
2nd Gear
The little "hiding compartment" is for giving the rear passengers some heat and cool air.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
burley
6th Gear
Are the speed sensitive wipers something that you have to program? I had them, and I got a few things programmed (follow lights / DRLs), and now I dont have the wipers...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Are the speed sensitive wipers something that you have to program? I had them, and I got a few things programmed (follow lights / DRLs), and now I dont have the wipers...
Yes, I believe it is something that has to be programmed / activated.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pcohen
The little "hiding compartment" is for giving the rear passengers some heat and cool air.
Do you mean the covers in the boot? What are you referring to? Thanks.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
burley
6th Gear
Directly under both driver and passenger seats are a plastic black vent that sticks up about 2 inches high, and is rectangular. Turn on the heater (floor), and stick your hand in front of it.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Wondered what those were. Thanks! (so you can hide things there? New to me.)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
Wondered what those were. Thanks! (so you can hide things there? New to me.)
Uh...only if you dont want to lose those things...

Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
D'oh! Never thought of rear HVAC vents! thanks for the explanation. (And you're right, definitely not a hiding place <lol>)

Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
lonestarbmw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
It goes where the rear seat passenger's feet should go. The cutout for the rear wiper motor mates up with the hump in the rear floorboard that provides clearance for the exhaust.
This is an old thread but I just read about it being a recent 03 MCS owner. Pls can you clarify further how the rear parcel shelf is positioned? Is the rear parcel shelf in the upright or inverted position? I was trying it but can't get it to fit there.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the rear parcel shelf will fit vertically standing up and will be against the front of the rear seat, with the rear seats folded down. The fuzzy top of the shelf faces towards the front of the car; the cut out of the shelf that fits over the rear wiper motor will be nestled against the hump on the floor in the middle. There will be a lip of the parcel shelf that will fit over, almost, the rear headrests......this might be difficult to picture, but once you just try it, it works nicely

Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I am sitting in my MINI waiting at the drive-thru teller and I look down at my toggle switch bank....I noticed that the last 2 of my 5 switches, the passenger window switch and the front fog light switch, are not perfectly facing striaight to the back but are tilted ever so slightly towards the driver position like in a cockpit....never noticed that before...even the black shiny hoops that separate the switches are tilted towards the driver

Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
Ok, I am sitting in my MINI waiting at the drive-thru teller and I look down at my toggle switch bank....I noticed that the last 2 of my 5 switches, the passenger window switch and the front fog light switch, are not perfectly facing striaight to the back but are tilted ever so slightly towards the driver position like in a cockpit....never noticed that before...even the black shiny hoops that separate the switches are tilted towards the driver
I just went downstairs to look at my toggle switch bank.

All my switches, save the driver's (left side) are tilted slightly to the left (driver's) side, and the shiny black hoops are straight. Unless your car is an '07, this leads me to believe that the position of the switches is just random, more a manufacturing and/or installation variable than an intentional design feature. Anyone else?

Zip

Old 09-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
All my switches, save the driver's (left side) are tilted slightly to the left (driver's) side, and the shiny black hoops are straight. ........Anyone else?
Just popped into the garage and inspected my '06. Everything, including the toggles, appears to be dead straight. However, the chrome shiny reflection of the toggles could lead to an optical illusion that makes them appear slightly off kilter.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Just popped into the garage and inspected my '06. Everything, including the toggles, appears to be dead straight. However, the chrome shiny reflection of the toggles could lead to an optical illusion that makes them appear slightly off kilter.
Maybe so, but mine is not an optical illusion. All but the driver's side toggle are tilted slightly left. Apparently it is installation difference, although within tolerance.

Zip

Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Are the toggles in the same order on European cars?
If so, US and British toggle switch banks are probably identical and interchangeable -- so I doubt they're designed with a tilt in either direction.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM
dominos
2nd Gear
question

"The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place."

what's that mean? maybe a picture?

thanks,
dominos

Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dominos
"The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place."

what's that mean? maybe a picture?

thanks,
dominos
Once the rear seats are folded, place the shelf so that the cutout (for the rear wiper motor) is over the rear center cup holder. Also, make sure that the top of the shelf is facing towards the front seatback. The rear headrests should fit nicely on the underside of the shelf. Hope that helps

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen numerous attempts to explain this without much success. So, here is a handy little photo:

I hope it helps.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
dominos
2nd Gear
I got it now - Thanks very much - that's really COOL.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 PM
hahnsie
you know im sexy
great photo mini2go

Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 PM
wvphoto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMatt1
All great things to know about the mini....

Maybe one of you has discovered a way to turn off that annoying seat belt chime for those short trips in the neighborhood...

did you know that 88percent of all accidents happen within 6 blocks of your house..

that is why i moved last year..
LOL>

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wvphoto
that is why i moved last year..
Cute.

When you listen to the radio while the car is parked and the motor is off, for example when washing your MINI. When the 20 minutes is up and you have to turn your radio back on, it comes back on at a sensible volume. No matter how loud you had it set.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI