R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It always comes back at a "sensible" volume on mine -- which is a pain 'cause I listen to my iPod shuffle through the AUX input 99.9% of the time and need the volume cranked pretty high . . . so the "sensible" volume is always too low, and the first thing I have to do when I restart the car is always to turn the volume back up.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
When you listen to the radio while the car is parked and the motor is off, for example when washing your MINI. When the 20 minutes is up and you have to turn your radio back on, it comes back on at a sensible volume. No matter how loud you had it set.
Hmm, I haven't noticed that on my '06. Maybe it's because of the DPSM, but the volume always appears to be the same as when I left it. Maybe I'll have to really crank it to see what happens.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
I was washing the car and listening to the 'Bama game on the radio, so it needed to be pretty loud (windows up, sunroof closed and all). The first time it happened I wasn't certain the level had changed, so I REALLY cranked it next time to be sure (Didn't want to post here without documented research )

Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Maybe I'll have to really crank it to see what happens.
After washing tonight, I gave it a test and really cranked it whilst driving into the garage. Turned off the car, and then back on. The volume was still at it's previous earsplitting level. I wonder if this is one of those "hidden" features that needs to be enabled that the dealership doesn't tell you about?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Or perhaps the car needs to be off long enough for all of the circuits that stay temporarily powered after shutting off the car to finally become de-energized.

I'd try turning off the car with the stereo cranked up, then go to bed and see where the volume is when you start the car in the morning. (Although that could be a rude surprise in the morning...)

Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
It always comes back at a "sensible" volume on mine -- which is a pain 'cause I listen to my iPod shuffle through the AUX input 99.9% of the time and need the volume cranked pretty high . . . so the "sensible" volume is always too low, and the first thing I have to do when I restart the car is always to turn the volume back up.
Have you tried increasing the input level while on Aux mode? You set it by scrolling through the same button that sets the bass, treble, fader, and balance. The settings can be different for each mode (Radio, CD, Aux), so they need to be adjusted in each mode. Hope this helps!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
vichives
Neutral
Rear Wiper

I have an 04 with rain sensor. Is the 1:3 ratio for the rear wiper only for cars without rain sensors? Mine seem to be fixed at a rate of about 6 seconds. I asked a service advisor about it and he said it was a fixed interval even though I told him I saw a MINI that was wiping twice the speed of mine. He did not know I had the rain sensor. Can this be programed to the 1:3 ratio? I'm not convinced he knows what he is talking about since he also told me there is no way to have a sound come on when the flat tire indicator lights up even though it states it in the owners manual and I belief there is a recall on this. If I can get these reprogrammed at a different dealer that knows more I will drive to my next nearest dealers which are all about an hour away even though I have a dealer 10 minutes away. I have not had good service experience with my local dealer even when I had my BMW.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
Have you tried increasing the input level while on Aux mode?
Yes (it's up to 5) but thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
It always comes back at a "sensible" volume on mine
After washing tonight, I gave it a test and really cranked it whilst driving into the garage. Turned off the car, and then back on. The volume was still at it's previous earsplitting level.
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Or perhaps the car needs to be off long enough for all of the circuits that stay temporarily powered after shutting off the car to finally become de-energized.

I'd try turning off the car with the stereo cranked up, then go to bed and see where the volume is when you start the car in the morning. (Although that could be a rude surprise in the morning...)
I left it overnight this time, and in the morning the volume was still as loud as the night before (I was prepared for it though, so I did not soil my pants ).

Eager, what stereo option do you have? Perhaps that makes a difference...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM
kallum
1st Gear
Wow. Who knew? Thanks for letting me know all the stuff I didn't know!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
cowgirlkendra
Neutral
750 miles per quart

I have learned a lot reading this particular thread... thanks to everyone for the great "tips" and "tricks." I think my only contribution is this:

The MINI dealership says that that MINI can burn up to one quart of oil per 750 miles, and still be within acceptable limits.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
The MINI dealership says that that MINI can burn up to one quart of oil per 750 miles, and still be within acceptable limits.
That seems very high to me -- especially in light of the fact that oil changes are scheduled about 10,000 miles apart . . . so, it's acceptable if I've lost over 13 quarts between oil changes?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same here - I'd like to see the MINI service manual / bulletin that came from. One quart in the *first* 750 miles of the car's life sounds about right for the extreme end of "okay", though.

My wife's MINI burned about 3/4 quart in the first 2000 miles, but after that, it didn't need any more "topping off" for the rest of the factory-recommended change interval.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
If you leave the boot open for a little while, the dome light won't respond when you open the door. You can shut the door and open it again and again, but that overhead light will ignore you until you close the hatch. Can't imagine why.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM
preludestuntin
2nd Gear
Lots of things I never knew...all very intriguing.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
If you have the boot open, pressing the "lock" button on your keys will lock the doors and boot, but will not show a flash of the lights until after the boot is closed.

PS Don't put your keys in your coat and then toss your coat into the hatch when doing this.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the boot open, pressing the "lock" button on your keys will lock the doors and boot, but will not show a flash of the lights until after the boot is closed.

PS Don't put your keys in your coat and then toss your coat into the hatch when doing this.
As far as I know, this is the ONLY way to lock your keys in the MINI. Yet, I've managed to do this TWICE!?!?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM
preludestuntin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
The auto re-lock a programmable feature, something I had wanted de-activated but I think it was over-looked

Something people may not know: the navigation has a search feature so you can look up places and not just consult the index list. Came in very handy when driving around in unfamiliar territory this weekend and I was desperate for a strong iced coffee - did a search on 'star' and could see all the Starbucks in range (yeah yeah, I know Starbucks is scourge of the earth but they are the only place I can rely on getting iced coffee when I need it ).
But they have killer Cafe Mocha's

Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
preludestuntin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by krenzkes
This sounds like it couldn't be true but I have tried it and it works.

If you lock your keys in the car and you have your cell phone call your wife/spouse and have then push the unlock on the key while you hold your phone near the door and the door lock will open. May take a few tries and you may have to move along the side of the car with your phone but it will work without having to brine ght espare keys to the car.

Big time saver.
Have had to do this a time or two and it's worked for me. Have not tried it yet with my Mini (i've learned from the past) but it has worked with my Prelude (has aftermarket keyless entry)

Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ I got $ says that doesn't work* -- anyone wanna take me up on it?

* Unless the car is in the garage, and your wife's in the kitchen pressing her key within range of the car.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
irieman
5th Gear
^ I got $ says that doesn't work* -- anyone wanna take me up on it?

* Unless the car is in the garage, and your wife's in the kitchen pressing her key within range of the car.
I didn't want to be the wet blanket (Thanks E20!). Snopes.com says... brrrrrnt!! FALSE!

of course, I'm tragically open minded. The day I see it work I'll be the first to tell the world.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
I didn't want to be the wet blanket
I didn't want someone to try this away from home -- only to discover it's false . . . although it would make for a great story.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
I left it overnight this time, and in the morning the volume was still as loud as the night before (I was prepared for it though, so I did not soil my pants ).

I have the Digital Power Sound Module in mine. The Stereo stays were it was set. No matter how loud you left it>

Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
Sorry, just saw this -- I have the H/K

Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by preludestuntin
Have had to do this a time or two and it's worked for me. Have not tried it yet with my Mini (i've learned from the past) but it has worked with my Prelude (has aftermarket keyless entry)
see, this is just curious, since we all know that the phone will not carry radio waves, how could this poster be claiming that it has worked for him in the past? i understand people who pass it on as "something i heard" which is, afterall, the nature of all urban legends. but why make the claim "it has worked for me"?

the keys do not use audible frequency to talk to the receiver. a phone will not rebroadcast the radio frequency used for the remote. it's simple science, really.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI