R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Your A/C is *always* off while you're starting the car, regardless of what position the climate controls are in. There's a "load-shedding" relay that turns off power-draining accessories (like the A/C compressor) while the engine is cranking over, and then restores power once the engine starts. The idea is to make as much current available to the starter motor as possible.

Which accessories are turned off varies from car to car, but they're typically things like the radio, air-conditioner compressor and fan motor, the radio, and headlamps.

I totally agree from my mechanical experience.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Are the speed sensitive wipers?

What do you mean by that???

Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TRUSTNO1MINIMAN
I have a question. I have a 2006 mcs with 10k miles. Ever since the mini rally at deals gap, I've noticed the car seems a little different. Sometimes when I start the car (and it doesn't matter when the last time it was driven), it will act like it is cold and about to quit running a couple times had to restart because it did stall. Also when I was coming back from a trip (it was driven maybe for 2hours), I pulled off the road and was waiting in traffic and it just shut off in drive. what's up? I had it checked out at the mini dealer and they said the computer showed no defaults. It's automatic and premium gas is always used. Anybody had this problem?

I had this and one of my friends did too. The local dealer says that it needs to be re-programmed. I did a JCW upgrade which includes only the JCW air intake, JCW Fuel Injectors and ECU software upgrade. After this kit was installed, I never had the car to stop while driving/turning or never got that "car cold" feeling when I start it the morning. I think it's something related to the software or the air intake to give the car more power when extra force is applied on the engine when you stop and want to do a full turn or something.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
I have auto-on headlights and Xenons

How do I program those?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
preludestuntin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Marwan
I had this and one of my friends did too. The local dealer says that it needs to be re-programmed. I did a JCW upgrade which includes only the JCW air intake, JCW Fuel Injectors and ECU software upgrade. After this kit was installed, I never had the car to stop while driving/turning or never got that "car cold" feeling when I start it the morning. I think it's something related to the software or the air intake to give the car more power when extra force is applied on the engine when you stop and want to do a full turn or something.
I have an '03 with no upgrades. I've had my re-calls done and everything and it does that every now and then--shutting off every once in a while and idling rough for a second. Funny thing is, when it does the rough idle, the "EML" light comes on...

Edit: One of those recalls was getting the software upgraded.

Last edited by preludestuntin; 11-25-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Try the JCW upgrade kit. It costs around $500. You won't regret it!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
How do I program those?
You don't, the MINI dealer has to do it. They should have asked you when you bought your MINI if you wanted the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) programmed on or off. If they didn't, you could ask them if they will do it. I bought my MINI at what was then Hank Aaron MINI and I was never asked about it. I only found out the option existed when my wife bought her 2007 MCS Convertible. Hank Aaron MINI wouldn't do unless I paid them $35...I commented to the SA at Global Imports about it and they simply asked me for the key and 10 minutes later I had DRLs...at no cost.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
lawmann
If you have the OBD II reader you can see what codes are coming up.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Candog
1st Gear
Yep, the unofficial owners manual is a hoot. It also has a section on raising the bonnet to shine he headlights is the air. Women think that is so cool...............

Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Candog
1st Gear
Drive by Finger.............

Originally Posted by MINIclo
"Drive by finger!" This is how I cross Texas several times a year!
This is a MUST is the DC area. He with the fastest finger wins!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Candog
Yep, the unofficial owners manual is a hoot. It also has a section on raising the bonnet to shine he headlights is the air. Women think that is so cool...............

Candog:
How do I get the unofficial owner manual?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lawmann
If you have the OBD II reader you can see what codes are coming up.

lawmann:
How do I get the OBD II?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:05 PM
lawmann
lawmann:
How do I get the OBD II?
Because OBD II is the world-wide standard (since 1996 I believe), the readers are pretty much universal for the basic codes. you can buy the OBD II readers through Moss Motors, AutoZone, etc. Many manufacturers have their own codes which will require a book specifically for that car (like the Bentley MINI Manual) to know what they are.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
That's my kinda girl, and from my experience her theory is sound. I would add this corollary though: Should you actually spot a MINI when motoring in the other car, your spouse (if he/she's like mine) will heave a great big "oh geez" *SIGH when you and your offspring all shout "MINI!" in unison .

Tatt
That is so true, my girlfriend does that when i spot a MINI and shout out to confirm that i have indeed seen a MINI

Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I wanted to see how the headlight washers work, so when I got home, I kept the engine running, lights on, got out, flipped on the washer. Only the windshield worked, not the headlight. What's with that?
With my washers, i have to have the lights on, then pull the washer stalk towards me and hold it for about 2-4 seconds, that's what triggers the light washers.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrono
That is so true, my girlfriend does that when i spot a MINI and shout out to confirm that i have indeed seen a MINI
It's my HUBBY who reacts this way. When I don't get a wave response he's quick to point out that not everyone is MINI crazy!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Lukas
Neutral
Hi guys,

I am new here

I bought Mini R53 '04 and I have one question. Can i change miles to kilometers shown in tacho

Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lukas
Can i change miles to kilometers shown in tacho
Yeah you can, just go to your dealer and ask them to print you "Key Memory Report". It's a one page report that will show you all electrical options that you can customize. I got it for free. Some dealers would charge you 0.5 hours.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
hahnsie
you know im sexy
thats just horrible, i know ive said this before but the dealers in germany will do this kind of thing for free.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
I noticed this yesterday: as you know, you can switch off the dome light by pressing the button on it. Did you know that when you do that it also affects two other lamps? The pedal light and the boot light work in congruence with the dome light.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
I noticed this yesterday: as you know, you can switch off the dome light by pressing the button on it. Did you know that when you do that it also affects two other lamps? The pedal light and the boot light work in congruence with the dome light.

Yeah, I bet all of us know this

Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
If you park your MINI in the garage backwards, it takes up less room.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Louispup
If you park your MINI in the garage backwards, it takes up less room.
I don't get it.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me neither. Does it fold up or something?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
The water pump on the 07's and higher run on demand and not all the time to save fuel and increase the hp.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI