R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coopster88
All the air coming into your mini is filtered. It's called an Interior Cabin Filter. They sell them at outmotoring under maintenance. You can find them in the vendor list. Here is the info from outmotoring-
Over time, the pollen filter/interior air filter gets nasty and just like like the filters in your home need to be replaced and of course when you take your car in for service MINI does not mention that they even exist or that you may need to replace it because it costs them more money in warranty work. It is most likely up to you to replace the interior filter every 25-30K miles depending on the quality of air, your surroundings, etc. To get to it just reach under the glove box and there is a trap door that releases the filter which is about 20"x6". The new one slides into place in seconds and you're off.
I don't know about you but I like clean air......
Just a theoretical (or maybe a practical, as well) question.

I drive with the windows open pretty much all the time. Do I really even need a cabin air filter?

Zip

Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
No filter on my Cabrio, please.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the air coming into your mini is filtered. It's called an Interior Cabin Filter. They sell them at outmotoring under maintenance. You can find them in the vendor list. Here is the info from outmotoring-
Over time, the pollen filter/interior air filter gets nasty and just like like the filters in your home need to be replaced and of course when you take your car in for service MINI does not mention that they even exist or that you may need to replace it because it costs them more money in warranty work. It is most likely up to you to replace the interior filter every 25-30K miles depending on the quality of air, your surroundings, etc. To get to it just reach under the glove box and there is a trap door that releases the filter which is about 20"x6". The new one slides into place in seconds and you're off.
I don't know about you but I like clean air......
couple things - warranty work doesn't cost the dealership any money. They still get paid from the factory to work on your car. The dealership doesn't care that it costs MINIUSA/MINIworld money to fix your car. They are the ones recieving the money.

The filter is automatically replaced during inspection 1 (free if you are still under your maintenance warranty).

Old 06-01-2008, 01:26 PM
alohanorm
1st Gear
Parcel shelf in mini. I must be dense, but I cannot place that parcel shelf "behind" the front seats.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "Top" of the parcel shelf goes forward against the front seats, and the curved part that goes around the wiper motor goes down. The head rests from the folded down seats then go inside the hollow bottom of the shelf.

Sorry no pictures...

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Yep this was the way to do it as specified in the owners manual for my '91 Acura Integra--when I saw the MINI had a shelf, I tried it and it worked too, but I don't recall any official literature stating that.

Originally Posted by Sin MINI
The "Top" of the parcel shelf goes forward against the front seats, and the curved part that goes around the wiper motor goes down. The head rests from the folded down seats then go inside the hollow bottom of the shelf.

Sorry no pictures...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
ACTUALLY...if you go back through this thread, you'll see pics of it. I couldn't figure it out either, but i finally got it. It stands on end on it's bump-out (from the rear-windshield gearbox)-- the bump-out on the "shelf" fits the hump between the seats. So it doesn't sit FLAT on the hump between the seats, it's on it's side lengthwise. Now, this is kind of a dumb question, but you ARE using the shelf that hooks into the back window, right? not the aftermarket little shelf they sell...? ANyway, hope it helps. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
alohanorm
1st Gear
Actually I did figure it out, but it was different than what I was "expecting". I thought there was a way to use the tray as a TRAY behind the front seat, but instead it's a way to store it without damage. Thank you.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yeah, I know...that's what I was trying to do with it too, at first, and why it took me so long to get it "right."

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM
coopster88
Neutral
Filter

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
couple things - warranty work doesn't cost the dealership any money. They still get paid from the factory to work on your car. The dealership doesn't care that it costs MINIUSA/MINIworld money to fix your car. They are the ones recieving the money.

The filter is automatically replaced during inspection 1 (free if you are still under your maintenance warranty).
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ok,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I guess I was writing this for all the other people like me who had no idea that there was a filter because it’s not in the owner’s manual anywhere. I also copied and pasted that article from Outmotoring.com, which is where I purchased the filter for my Mini that had one that had never been changed by the dealer or anyone else for that matter. So, that being said, can anyone else that didn’t know post a note? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Coop[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 06-08-2008, 07:08 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ok,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I guess I was writing this for all the other people like me who had no idea that there was a filter because it’s not in the owner’s manual anywhere. I also copied and pasted that article from Outmotoring.com, which is where I purchased the filter for my Mini that had one that had never been changed by the dealer or anyone else for that matter. So, that being said, can anyone else that didn’t know post a note? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Coop[/SIZE][/FONT]
Oops, someone needs to turn off the html.

Zip

Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Nav Screen

I've kept up with this thread for quite some time, and have not seen this one.

There are additional menus (if you have a NAV) if you hold the menu button for 10 secs in the settings screen. The best control is the ability to pump up your contrast of your LCD. You previously had the ability to change the brightness, but now you can increase the contrast and its now MUCH easier to see during the day.

There are also a bunch of other readouts that Im clueless about. For some reason you can add your license plate #, color, and vin to your CPU...

If anyone knows what the rest of these readouts mean, please chime in.

PS: I have an 03 (11/02 build date) cooper.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:41 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
This thread has been asleep for a while.

I guess we know everything about our MINIs

Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
This thread has been asleep for a while.

I guess we know everything about our MINIs
I don't know if we will ever really know everything about our MINI's but with this thread having over 1300 posts
I don't think I want to go through every last one to find out that what I know may already be here.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
KittyMini
3rd Gear
I learned something new about my Mini this evening....
Even the Coopers have 2 mufflers

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I think one is a resonator.

Zip

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
I don't know if we will ever really know everything about our MINI's but with this thread having over 1300 posts
I don't think I want to go through every last one to find out that what I know may already be here.
There are a lot of repeats.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
KittyMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
I think one is a resonator.

Zip
Hee hee hee...... you are probably right

BTW- Luv the Avatar

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
I don't have automatic climate control, and I'm STILL callin' B.S. on that one . I think you may have an under-informed dealer.

edit: I remember reading that "random diagnostic check" post and having some doubts about that actually happening. I figured just because MINE didn't require multiple steps to start the engine, that didn't mean it was like that for EVERYone... Who else has a "2 step" startup procedure where you turn the ignition "on", wait, and then lastly crank the engine?? That's messed up.

YMMV, I could be wrong but wow what a nuisance. Does your manual mention ANY of this? Mine sure doesn't.

Tatt
Could not agree with you more, total non-sense that you should have to wait a few seconds before trying to start it once the key is in the ignition.... However, I noticed that if by chance the engine does not start on the first try, I then have to turn the ignition all the way back to disengage and start over to get the starter to turn-over again. If I simply turn the key again from the "run" position to "start" nothing happens. I believe this is normal, though not like any American car I have ever driven.

Last edited by princeofwaldo; 06-29-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
If its a diesel it makes sense.

My Golf TDI is like that, you have to wait a bit for the glow plug circuit to do its thing. Wish I could have ordered a MINI diesel over here. My last tank was 675 miles on 15.116 gallons. At 4.59 a gallon thats 9.8 miles per dollar vs. 6.2mpd in my Mini.

Anyway, noticed last night the backlight for the controls on the steering wheel lit for less than a second right before I put the key in. (instead of the usual tones to let me know I was close. )

I never noticed that before don't know if its supposed to happen or if I have a short. I did use the pathway lighting a few minutes prior not sure if that had anything to do with it. I'll try it again today.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 AM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
haven't been able to duplicate it yet.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Just noticed this (and I'm not happy about it since I always leave the top down), but you can eject a CD from the HU with power off (even if car is locked).

So if you see my car around, you can score yourself a free copy of Pearl Jams' Ten.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Mini06Ragtop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kentiki
Just learned that in a convertible, if you lock the doors with the key in the actual lock (i.e. not from a distance) and hold the key in that position, the top and all windows will go up! Very slick.
Just picked up my lightly used 2006 Mini convertible yesterday from a non-Mini dealer who took it on a trade in and knew nothing about it. I am unable to lock the door with the remote; the only way to lock the car up is to put the key in!!! I figured there must be a way to lock it remotely. Can someone help me figure out how to get the remote to lock the car without having to put the key in?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
The center logo on the keyfob is that button, but I assume you knew that already.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Mini06Ragtop
1st Gear

Yes, I know that there's an unlock/lock(?) feature on the keyfob, but it will only UNLOCK, not lock the door. Does anyone know how/if this can be reprogrammed?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI