R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then those cars have breakaway mirrors that would shear off with impact. ( as you quoted me : There can be no protrusion on a vehicle that does not either breakaway, is flexible or folding.)
More expensive cars tend to have the folding breakaways and less expensive the breakaways that shear.

If the folding breakaway mirror that was referred to in the post is struck, it gives away and likely only the mirror surface will be damaged; the one on your Camray, for example, will shear off and an entire new assembly will have to be put on the car.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Mine is an '06; the 2 lights indicate bottom and back, hence 'full' heating. If u press it once, this 'full' heating effect occurs. If u hit the button once more, only the back portion is heated; one more tap turns it off completely.
I beg to once again differ. Your car has 2 temperature levels (low and high). It has nothing to do with position -- trust me, I drive with it on "low" (one light on) and my groin still boils.

Last edited by eager2own; 09-23-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by VioletDC
Mine is an '06; the 2 lights indicate bottom and back, hence 'full' heating. If u press it once, this 'full' heating effect occurs. If u hit the button once more, only the back portion is heated; one more tap turns it off completely.
Hmm... interesting, where are you getting that from? Does your owner's manual say that? Odd it would be different than mine, which is also a 2006.

Maybe you brought your MINI from Europe and those MINIs are wired different? Maybe they wired yours incorrectly to where it works the way you say it does?

Maybe that's a "secret option" that no one knows about, a programming option that can be done at the dealer. That would be news.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Strippekniv
Neutral
I´m sorry...

...but I don´t think we are talking about the same issue here.

The original thread i replied to was about electrically operated folding door mirrors, standard (I think - at least my ´07 Cooper S has them) on the Chilli-Pack here in Europe. I was not talking about manually folding mirrors which have been standard equipment on even the most humble vehicle in Europe since ***** was a kitten.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM
rgc0233
2nd Gear
If not mentioned in the previous 58 pages . . . on the HK, turning the bass/treble past the middle mark lowers the maximum volume level.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thecigarman
Then those cars have breakaway mirrors that would shear off with impact. ( as you quoted me : There can be no protrusion on a vehicle that does not either breakaway, is flexible or folding.)
More expensive cars tend to have the folding breakaways and less expensive the breakaways that shear.

If the folding breakaway mirror that was referred to in the post is struck, it gives away and likely only the mirror surface will be damaged; the one on your Camray, for example, will shear off and an entire new assembly will have to be put on the car.
When we had a 90 CRX it had mirrors that folded fore and aft. I was parked in front of the bar I bounced at and some jamoke in an M3 passed someone in their lane on the right. (between them and my parked car) I got to watch him fold my mirror forward and drive off with his passenger mirror hanging by the adjuster cables.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
I beg to once again differ. Your car has 2 temperature levels (low and high). It has nothing to do with position -- trust me, I drive with it on "low" (one light on) and my groin still boils.
Really??? That's interesting ... when I push the button 4 the 2nd time, only the back portion remains warm; the tushie area cools off.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Really??? That's interesting ... when I push the button 4 the 2nd time, only the back portion remains warm; the tushie area cools off.
The amount of heat that the heated seats put out varies from one car to the next (and can also be adjusted by changing out resistors in the seat wiring), so I suspect that your lower seat just isn't putting out the normal amount of heat in the "low" position, leading you to think that it's off.

As a quick check, does your passenger seat behave the same way? With it off, hit the button twice quickly and see if the lower portion stays cold.

Eager2own is describing the way the seats are supposed to work - the lower and upper portions are always on at the same time. The only thing you change by selecting between "one light" and "two lights" on the switch is the level of heat.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:41 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Oh, OK. I did try it in the single position for a friend once (male, who never complained about the lower portion), who really enjoyed the back heat. Oh well ... guess it's a little different. That's what makes these Minis so adorable!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, OK. I did try it in the single position for a friend once (male, who never complained about the lower portion), who really enjoyed the back heat. Oh well ... guess it's a little different. That's what makes these Minis so adorable!
Yep, they all have their quirks. Still, if you're still under warranty, that's something the dealer can fix/adjust fairly easily.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ or in my case, it may be something that I sabotage so that I can have back-only heat.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:35 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
superchrg dies

I did not know that I would spend insane amounts of money replacing the super charger because it is made to fail....

The only car I want to keep after payoff and it is built to fail at only 50k. WTF

Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreenIguana
I did not know ...
I don't think your rant and complaint about your supercharger failing belongs in this thread where people are going to waste time getting an e-mail message that is not on topic.

I'd prefer not to unsuscribe to this thread.

Just sayin..

Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The amount of heat that the heated seats put out varies from one car to the next (and can also be adjusted by changing out resistors in the seat wiring), so I suspect that your lower seat just isn't putting out the normal amount of heat in the "low" position, leading you to think that it's off.

As a quick check, does your passenger seat behave the same way? With it off, hit the button twice quickly and see if the lower portion stays cold.

Eager2own is describing the way the seats are supposed to work - the lower and upper portions are always on at the same time. The only thing you change by selecting between "one light" and "two lights" on the switch is the level of heat.
Great post. I did not consider that the Member's heated seat might be malfunctioning.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
HK Stereo

Originally Posted by cabriopilot
58 pages is a lot to review but if memory serves me, I don't think those two have come up before..
I found this on my own, no written stuff on this HK Stereo .

Just turn your ignition key a smidgen, not even as far as first stop, like a 1/4 of an inch. Push the HK on/off button TWICE, radio will come on, Remove key, Radio automatically shuts off in about 5 mins...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
I found this on my own, no written stuff on this HK Stereo .

Just turn your ignition key a smidgen, not even as far as first stop, like a 1/4 of an inch. Push the HK on/off button TWICE, radio will come on, Remove key, Radio automatically shuts off in about 5 mins...
Try that without the key trick and only one push.

I did not know when I bought our second S less than a year ago for $16,240 with just under 50k on the odometer it would be worth almost $18,000 a year later thanks to higher gas prices. (no I have no intention of selling)

Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GreenIguana
and it is built to fail at only 50k. WTF
oh really? I bet there are hundreds of people on this board that would disagree with you...

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S
Try that without the key trick and only one push.

I did not know when I bought our second S less than a year ago for $16,240 with just under 50k on the odometer it would be worth almost $18,000 a year later thanks to higher gas prices. (no I have no intention of selling)
Holy crap, it came on w/o key ! Had to push it like 6 times, but it came on..thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
mtchbox
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
The dealership knows how fast your car has been. They know all. They scare me.

WoW like top speed? how do they know that? OBDII?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a Cooper D on the dealer's lot today. Shocked the heck outa me!!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 03:25 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtchbox
WoW like top speed? how do they know that? OBDII?
When they insert your MINI key into their computer it narcs on all the stuff you thought you got away with.
It will tell them if you have been redlining, top speed, avg speed, avg gf weight and many other things you thought no one knew about.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
They can also tell when the last time you had sex was...in the MINI.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
They can also tell when the last time you had sex was...in the MINI.
I think that one is done by looking at how many times the passenger side airbag light went on and off..

Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
I think that one is done by looking at how many times the passenger side airbag light went on and off..
Just count the stains on the seat(s).

Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Still, if you're still under warranty, that's something the dealer can fix/adjust fairly easily.

Oh, nooo ... I rather enjoy this feature! It really comes in handy!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI