R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
yes, the transmission is significantly better in the 05. plus a small hp bump.
I like the earlier transmissions, longer gears.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 AM
snakebitdave
Neutral
Odometer space in digits

Noob here,
I havent read all the pages yet which, by the way, are very helpful and informative. Tried a search but couldn't find an answer.

Why is the space in the odometer reading between the 4th and 5th didgits instead of the third and fourth?

Example: My '04 reads 6 1234 instead of 61 234. Is this a British thing? Something to do with metrics?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
There is a "pull ring" tucked under the rear seat to open the boot if there is an electrical failure.

If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)
There's no boot latch pull-ring in mine ('02 MCS) - and I have my rear seat (and boot carpet) completely removed for AutoX and time trials...

Wiper clarification: AUTO wipers only - the only failure I've had in 2+ years was mine being left on, were frozen to the glass when I started the car - poof - burnt the motor (wish the fuse would have blown) (yes, it's the correct size) lesson learned the $160 way

Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.
Rawhyde
Rawhyde - Just had a looksee at the parcel shelf, that is really cool!

Wow, what a lovely chin-wag you've all got going. Thank you all, I've learned loads today.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Minut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snakebitdave
Noob here,
I havent read all the pages yet which, by the way, are very helpful and informative. Tried a search but couldn't find an answer.

Why is the space in the odometer reading between the 4th and 5th didgits instead of the third and fourth?

Example: My '04 reads 6 1234 instead of 61 234. Is this a British thing? Something to do with metrics?
There is no space at all on mine. Are you reading the odometer, or trip odometer?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
snakebitdave
Neutral
The odometer.

When it turned 62,000 the space is now where it should be; 62 000.

Weird.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by krenzkes
This sounds like it couldn't be true but I have tried it and it works.

If you lock your keys in the car and you have your cell phone call your wife/spouse and have then push the unlock on the key while you hold your phone near the door and the door lock will open. May take a few tries and you may have to move along the side of the car with your phone but it will work without having to brine ght espare keys to the car.

Big time saver.
OMGosh - This is too cool - I have a MCS05 and yesssss it works! I even tried this on my hubby's 2007 Trailblazer SS and it worked also - not sure how but it does.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
I thought this had been pretty much debunked because the key fobs are not high pitched sounds but radio freqencies and so can not be sent over a phone.

When you did this was the person other phone less than a few hundred feet away?

In every case I have seen where this claim is made the keyfob being pushed is close enough to open the car. For example if your car is in the garage or in the driveway the keyfob will work and so if the person on the other end of the cell phone is in the house or nearby it is not the phone but the fob that is working.

Try this out the next time you are about a mile or so away from the caller and then come back to post that it works.

Actually a great emergency alarm is to hit the panic button on your keys when you are in the house and your lights will flash and horn will sound. Just tell your neighbors if they see that happening that there is an emergency and they should come to your aid or call the police.

You may be surprised how far away this works.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniCarolinaGirl
OMGosh - This is too cool - I have a MCS05 and yesssss it works! I even tried this on my hubby's 2007 Trailblazer SS and it worked also - not sure how but it does.

I call shens.

does NOT work.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Is the glove box really refrigerated? I have an 02 just a cooper. I don't recall reading about the glove box in the owner's manual. Is this something only on '04s and up? Does it run off the A/C?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
My '02 justacooper had a refrigerated box just like my '03 MCS. On the upper left rear is a control that can be rotated to allow AC to be diverted into the glove box. You can pput a can of soda in front of the opening it will keep it very cold.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
TRPete
2nd Gear
1686 posts. I read them all. 3 days of reading. Lots of good stuff, lots of repeats.

I have had my 06MCS for 10 days, what a blast to drive. Chilli red - white stripes, white top.

About that parcel shelf thing

just kidding.

I've had no time to take pics

Pete

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 AM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minut
The screw behind the middle spoke of the steering wheel is off-center and will now drive you nuts if you feel back there and have even the slightest case of OCD.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels for that screw in traffic (this was not meant to sound dirty, sorry! :P) and gets annoyed by it's off-centered-ness! Just like a mindless emotion really, when I'm in traffic trying to find something to occupy my time.

Originally Posted by MiniBetterThanBeer
I've been reading this whole thread since I joined 3 years ago and I regularly check to see if there's anything new. Being quite a MINIac, I tend to just see repeats or things I was already aware of. THIS, THIS IS NEW. I work at a dealership in Canada and after I showed my co-worker/boyfriend, he ran up to the MINI Next JCW and it has it!! And the coins do stay in when it's closed (not sure about driving it though). So we looked at each other and wondered if our 06 R50 and R53 have it... he ran out to check: YES!! I knew about the pen holder and I just can't believe I missed this!! Thanks so much, MiniBetterThanBeer

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
LeahLuvsMINIs
2nd Gear
hehe, for me only the quarters stay, everything else falls out.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
04MINIR53
Neutral
Moving Headlights

I have an 04 R53 and was wondering why my headlights point down then back up again everytime I start my car.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Your car has sensors for auto-leveling your headlights, a feature of the Xenon Lamps. They dip down and then up to a level position when you trurn them on. That is what is happening.

Last edited by thecigarman; 11-04-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: kant spel
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
edgein
2nd Gear
I've heard this mentioned many, many times. So I wonder what happens if you turn your lights on while on a hill? Anybody here from San Francisco?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 AM
City of Glass
1st Gear
They stay in reference to the angle of the car. They will be slightly raised when going down a hill, then slightly lower when you go up one. Noticed this while strolling through the Blue Ridge Mountains on my way to DC a few months ago. Kind of cool if you ask me. I also find it hillarious when at a stop light, not moving, they decide to slightly adjust them self.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
City of Glass
1st Gear
BTW, mine is a 02 R53

Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
I kinda like how they dip when I pull out to pass...

Haven't noticed what they do when you look for the cat in the tree (re: unauthorized owner's manual cover & p.20)

Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
City of Glass
1st Gear
Yeah, forgot to mention they are speed /acceleration dependent.
Gosh, they work amazing as spotlights! In a tree, field, you name it.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveVT02S
I kinda like how they dip when I pull out to pass...
They do a pretty good job of keeping the same amount of road illuminated, assuming a relatively flat surface or an incline of relatively constant slope. I first noticed it about three nights after I got mine, while driving home across the rez.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread--it's been *very* informative.

C ya,
Dutch

Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
JacksminiS
1st Gear
I finally have my 06 MCS and it's great. I had an O2 sensor out in it and when I had it changed, my on the road gas mileage went from 21.9 to 29.7 immediately after the dealership changed it. When I bought the MCS from a local dealership the Service Engine Light was on. The next time I came in to purchase the Mini the dealership told me they turned the light off, but thought it was an 02 sensor default. Since I agreed to take care of the 02 sensor, I took my Mini 287miles to the nearest MINI/BMW dealership for the work to be done. What I didn't know was, since my local dealership wasn't equipt with the correct diagnostic computor for Mini's, when they turned the Service Engine soon light off they erased the diagnostic history of the car.
To make a long story shorter, it's finally taken care of and I am happy again
!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 PM
City of Glass
1st Gear
I remember there being questions about the random void on the dash just behind the speedometer. Can not recall if someone ever determined its purpose. I had my dash off today to work on some wiring and it is part of the ac system. It assists the front vents in cooling/heating the car, but is not part of the defrost system. Just random FYI if someone was curious.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:37 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by youngsota
Seriously? BMW omitted it intentionally?

The problem for me is that I am tall and the steering wheel blocks my view of the top portion of the speedometer, and sometimes it matters. The LED, on the other hand is located at the bottom of the cluster.

They should have left it as is.
+1 on this, I mounted my scanguage next to the tach and set one of the guages on it to MPH much easier then trying to see my speedo when I am over 70 MPH

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI