R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a CR2032 at a local mall watch kiosk for $6.25. The girl tried to just give it to me because her register was broken and it would be a few minutes until she could ring me up. I didn't have the right breakdown of cash so I waited and gawked at men's watches for 10 minutes. I have a June build 2002 MCS. The key fob does have a snap locking case and opened with a small screw driver (do use caution) inserting the straight edge under the key ring area. The orginal CR2032 battery was held by 3 small plastic tabs that the battery easily snapped out from under. The new battery snapped in, the plastic cover snapped on, and the keyfob works perfectly and much farther away than before. The life span of the original battery was 104,000+ miles and 8-1/2 years. It's the only key/fob I have so it is well used but not heavily worn. Compared to a Ford model fob if the same era I'd say the MINI fob is slightly more heavy-duty.

Of course, that's just me and my MCS. I'm sure key fobs of various years and generations are slightly different since that is likely a third-party manufacturer's component.

Originally Posted by R53 Speed
This probably refers to pre-05 key fobs. I have the older, fatter, style keyfob.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Littlebritishcar1234
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI-IZED
You can have the chime set to go off when you have about 1/8 of a tank of gas. This way when your MINI suddenly dings you scramble to find out why (below 37 degrees, low tire pressure, and now low fuel). And if you are real lucky you will hear all three on a single drive home.
why dose my mini ding when the temp goes below 37 degrees? just wondering why its such a random number

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
That seems to be the temp that most people agree that bridges can begin to form ice. This same temp is in other manufacturer's owner's manuals.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, if conditions are right, even *roads* can ice up at 37 degrees, thanks to the action of evaporative cooling.

HTH!

C ya,
Dutch

Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM
03M1N1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Suzanne's Chili Red S
That seems to be the temp that most people agree that bridges can begin to form ice. This same temp is in other manufacturer's owner's manuals.
You folks in SC aren't supposed to see any ice unless it's in a glass of lemonade! What's going on with the weather?!! Geez!!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
buellmc
1st Gear
On the 2002 mini if you flatten your front tires (trying to miss a dog) your mini will shut down the electrical system...to rest the is a black button by the brake booster push it and your car will start

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 03M1N1
You folks in SC aren't supposed to see any ice unless it's in a glass of lemonade! What's going on with the weather?!! Geez!!

And today its in the 60s, warm and balmy. Washed me Mini in my Mini Tee Shirt. Two weeks ago ice and snow. Go figure.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
When the bonnet is up there are two metal "prongs" which bend around, one on the left and one on the right. I noticed tonight that they work great hanging a caged work light.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I just obtained a 2004 Cooper, which is in near perfect condition, except for 1 curious thing: Both the front and rear Mini emblem have lost their black fill. The whole thing is now silver. I suspect a suspect clearer of some sort was used over time. But, does anyone know where I can get replacement badges and how I can get the old ones off & new ones on?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I just obtained a 2004 Cooper, which is in near perfect condition, except for 1 curious thing: Both the front and rear Mini emblem have lost their black fill. The whole thing is now silver. I suspect a suspect clearer of some sort was used over time. But, does anyone know where I can get replacement badges and how I can get the old ones off & new ones on?
It's funny that you mentioned this - just yesterday, I noticed that the black fill was missing from the emblem on the front of my 2006. I've never used anything on it more aggressive than car wash soap, so it may just be a result of living outside for four years.

Outmotoring sells replacements. It appears that the front emblem has posts and tape, while the rear emblem is just held on with double-sided tape.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
When you park and leave your MINI in public parking it quietly invites larger vehicles to share the unused portion of it's parking space. What a polite car.

BTW: Just because I don't take up the whole parking space doesn't mean you can have what I haven't used. F'n @$$holes. People need to learn how to park
This has to be the most true statement I have ever heard!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I realized yesterday when getting gas, that in my '05 MCS w/NAV, that the "half tank" mark isn't exactly half of the fuel capacity. when it took 9.something gallons, I was quite surprised!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced my rear emblem in December of 2008, it also had holes for pins on the back of the emblem and double-sided tape. I bought it while in Florida from the MINI dealership in Orlando for $40.02 (tax included). Outmotoring.com is selling them for $35. Mine wasn't really fading but the black was cracking up underneath, similar to the steering wheel emblem.

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
It's funny that you mentioned this - just yesterday, I noticed that the black fill was missing from the emblem on the front of my 2006. I've never used anything on it more aggressive than car wash soap, so it may just be a result of living outside for four years.

Outmotoring sells replacements. It appears that the front emblem has posts and tape, while the rear emblem is just held on with double-sided tape.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SuprCoop
I realized yesterday when getting gas, that in my '05 MCS w/NAV, that the "half tank" mark isn't exactly half of the fuel capacity. when it took 9.something gallons, I was quite surprised!
I've never had a car in almost 30 years of driving that had an accurate fuel gauge. I guess the MINI is no different.

That said, most of them were at least inaccurate in a predictable way, so when it got to 1/2 or 1/4 tank, I could guestimate how much gas it'd take within half a gallon.

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM
NewBlueMiniCoop
1st Gear
in my 09 i just recently discovered when changing from Radio to CD to Aux, instead of hitting the "audio" button, then using the dial to move to one of the three options, say from Radio to CD, instead you can double tap the audio button and it will rotate through which of the three options you'd like depending on how many times you keep tapping the button. Pretty useless but after having my car for a year and a half, its surprising that i just found that out.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Quadrivium10
This has to be the most true statement I have ever heard!
I've gotten really good at taking up the whole parking space....

I also tend to seek out spots that have protection on one side or both. Or, if nothing else works, I park next to another premium vehicle, on the assumption that they, too, care about their car, and will be careful not to door-ding me--even if it's only out of fear of getting my paint on their car....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I can, I park at the far right-hand end of a parking row, as close to the right-hand side of the space as I can. That way, nothing is likely to hit my car on the right side, and if the car that's parked on my left doesn't have a passenger in it, there's nothing to worry about from that side either.

4-1/2 years and 75k miles, and I've managed to only accumulate two tiny parking lot dings.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
I've gotten really good at taking up the whole parking space....

I also tend to seek out spots that have protection on one side or both. Or, if nothing else works, I park next to another premium vehicle, on the assumption that they, too, care about their car, and will be careful not to door-ding me--even if it's only out of fear of getting my paint on their car....

C ya,
Dutch
I've been parking in the middle of two spots out in the middle of nowhere at work take that people!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
When I can, I park at the far right-hand end of a parking row, as close to the right-hand side of the space as I can. That way, nothing is likely to hit my car on the right side, and if the car that's parked on my left doesn't have a passenger in it, there's nothing to worry about from that side either.

4-1/2 years and 75k miles, and I've managed to only accumulate two tiny parking lot dings.
Very true - that's a good idea

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear

That is my strategy too! I've even started to get my wife trained about "good" and "bad" parking spots.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
If I can, I park next to a curb so only one car can park next to me. If not, I too try to park next to premium vehicles or atleast vehicles that look well taken care of.
I STAY AWAY FROM MINI VANS, SUVs, and TRUCKS!!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R53 Speed
If I can, I park next to a curb so only one car can park next to me. If not, I too try to park next to premium vehicles or atleast vehicles that look well taken care of.
I STAY AWAY FROM MINI VANS, SUVs, and TRUCKS!!
Plus, they try to run you over in the parking lot anyway! well, at least until you smoke them

Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
mini53
3rd Gear

I agree and here are some more!

Here is what I assume:

1. People are Lazy - stay away from the spots closest to the door/entrance/elevator/etc as they will try to park as close as possible and will attempt to squeeze the car into any open space near the door.

2. People are in a hurry - apply the same thought to number one and that is when I see people whipping into spots hitting other cars, etc.

3. Avoid anyplace near a shopping cart park spot, or anywhere near down hill of shopping carts.

4. Avoid mini vans and other large vehicles that can hold careless children, if you must, pick the one with the sliding door.

5. Always park on the passenger side - 50/50 chance no one is getting in that side.

6. Park the farthest space and highest level in a garage from the exit - Most people will never park near you as rule 1 applies

7. Park next to an expensive car - Yes, money sometimes does buy respect for others property sometimes.

8. Park next to a same make/model of your car if it is a "car with a cult following"

9. Don't back in - you are asking for your mirror to get smashed by the rear door of another.

10. NEVER take two spaces - No your car is never more special than the others in the lot. It screams arrogance and you are asking for a punk to do something to your car

Yes, people hate being my passenger!

Last edited by mini53; 02-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
Searched and couldn't find this one. I accidentally hit my flash the high beam mode on the turn signal. This was after I shut of the car and removed the key.

The low beams (xenon) came on and so did the driving corner lights and stayed on.

I thought I somehow turned them on, nope. Cycled through the off, parking, on and then back to off and it shut everything off.

Pulled the flash to high beam again, lights came on, stayed on.

Got out of the car, locked it with the remote and after about 1.5 minutes or so everything went off.

I can only assume this is a coming home light function so you can see the house/walk/drive way when coming home and exiting the car.

It's probably in the manual right?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Literally all of those parking rules went through my mind as I was circling for a good spot this morning in my school lot. I ended up next to a snow mound because I figured, that's one less side of the car that is at risk, and its the farthest lot from the building, the spaces are wider, and my mini fits in with plenty of room. I folded the mirrors up though juuuust in case

And the lighting feature mentioned above i believe is the "follow me home" thing, but yes, its in the manual.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI