R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:58 AM
padams
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Schrodinger's Engine Bay

If you drop a 10mm socket in the engine bay it is both there and not there until you either pull the entire bay apart or you find the 10mm in your driveway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

Originally Posted by Newdl
I am sorry to disapoint everyone who opens this and is looking for a list of things they didn't know.

I got an Idea as I was reading the manual to my dad's new HUMMER. What are some things that most people do not know about their MINI? Intersting little bits of information, odd facts, interesting tricks....LIST EVERYTHING YOU KNOW THAT YOU THINK SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT NOT!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by padams:
Here2Go (06-12-2022), Rebound (07-12-2022)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Classic dope slap material!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,212 Likes on 942 Posts
Originally Posted by veggivet
Classic dope slap material!
Hey, veggivet good to see you are still active here!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:52 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Hey Eddie, long time no see. I figured since I've not been on the track recently, I might as well chime in here on occasion. Hope all is well with you and P.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 AM
padams
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll share my embarrassment - I blew compressed air through the seam of the sunroof and managed to blow off the collection tube that drains water out of the sunroof channel. I discovered this as I was going through a car wash and noticed water dripping through the headliner. I don't know if they've improved the fitment of the drainage tube but it isn't an unknown or isolated event, I'm told!
I was thankfully forewarned about this. When I cleaned mine out a while back I used some weed whacker cable to just 'snake it out' instead of blowing it out. Seemed to work pretty well.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:16 PM
cooperwiththemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umberto
RAWHYDE.....having a hard time picturing about that rear parcel shelf....is that with both rear seats folded down, where does that rear parcel shelf go?
what is a rear parcel shelf also why don’t I have an armrest

Old 06-07-2022, 07:25 PM
cooperwiththemini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by joeib
Hi,

Please if anybody can help me to get the service repair manual for my 2005 Mini cooper 2005.
Thanks,
you can buy them online from Haynes and they are super helpful and work across many models

Old 06-07-2022, 08:55 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperwiththemini
you can buy them online from Haynes and they are super helpful and work across many models
You may not have noticed, but the post you are responding to was dated late August of 2013. I've an idea he's moved on.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:33 AM
cooperwiththemini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
You may not have noticed, but the post you are responding to was dated late August of 2013. I've an idea he's moved on.
haha thanks for letting me know I actually did not realize that but hey maybe he’s still looking for a manual after 9 years

Old 06-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
haha thanks for letting me know I actually did not realize that but hey maybe he’s still looking for a manual after 9 years
No worries, easy to miss as there are lots of little/obscure indicators accompanying each post and poster on the forum. Wouldn't it be a hoot if he did respond.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:34 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
what is a rear parcel shelf also why don’t I have an armrest
It is a plastic shelf that clipped into the side panels behind the top of the rear seats when the seats are up. Located between the seat and the rear hatch.

No center arm rest with the Gen 1 MINIs; was an option with the Gen 2 MINIs and is standard in the Gen 3.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:34 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,027 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
No center arm rest with the Gen 1 MINIs; was an option with the Gen 2 MINIs and is standard in the Gen 3.
Yep - They seem to be hard to come by for the 1st Gen. They are retrofit and replace the center EBrake cover.
I got mine (silver trim) from AllMag.com (FL). I was hoping for Anthracite trim to match my interior. It was mentioned that it was never produced in Anthracite.
Wrong - I came across one at a salvage yard but someone had butchered it to get to the EBrake handle.

Last edited by Here2Go; 01-20-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:22 AM
John Jordan
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CeridianMN
The rear defrost lines are all straight as normal except for one. The line that goes across the wiper "rest" position is wavy. This allows the entire area of the wiper blade to be nicely warmed without overheating. I wish there was something like this for the front!
I have seen this on the front of some cars. Must be a cost savings deal since not many have it. Also would increase the price of a front windshield replacement.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:56 AM
John Jordan
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Not sure if this was covered but if you turn the car off with the lights on, turning off the headlamp switch will not turn off the lights. You have to cycle the lamp switch again or turn the ignition back on to turn off the headlights. Not sure how many models this applies to but mine is a 2002 S with HID lights.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:48 PM
Aindrid
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
A few I just learned while screwing around in NCSExpert (for R53):
-after the ignition is off, if you pull the brights twice it will go into 'follow me home' mode, which will leave the headlights on for X amount of time (which can be set)
-there is also a setting to roll down the driver's side window when you press unlock twice. It rolls down when you open the door! (super cool)
-holding the unlock button will roll your windows down and open the sunroof, but this can also be modified to only roll down the windows. Super useful in FL. I'll be looking further into the programming for this, as I think I can make it roll down both windows and just pop up the sunroof (unresearched, so we'll see)
Bonus: -auto up can be enabled in NCSExpert, although it depends on build date as to whether it will work for both driver and passenger side

Old 08-15-2023, 01:19 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
So Bizzare

Originally Posted by Aindrid
A few I just learned while screwing around in NCSExpert (for R53):
-after the ignition is off, if you pull the brights twice it will go into 'follow me home' mode, which will leave the headlights on for X amount of time (which can be set)
-there is also a setting to roll down the driver's side window when you press unlock twice. It rolls down when you open the door! (super cool)
-holding the unlock button will roll your windows down and open the sunroof, but this can also be modified to only roll down the windows. Super useful in FL. I'll be looking further into the programming for this, as I think I can make it roll down both windows and just pop up the sunroof (unresearched, so we'll see)
Bonus: -auto up can be enabled in NCSExpert, although it depends on build date as to whether it will work for both driver and passenger side
It's so coincidental that you had mentioned the high-beams (brights) thing and the sunroof and windows completely retracting/roll down all the way.
I had just upgraded my pre-facelift Xenons with OEM facelift Xenon projector headlights. There was a problem with the driver side low-beam not working. While I had the ignition turned off, all the windows completely up and the sunroof closed I lifted the hood to check/reseat the headlight wiring plugs. I unplugged and re-plugged in each of the main headlight connectors. Closed the hood and to my surprise = all of the windows were down and the sunroof completely retracted.
I thought I was just being forgetful....or crazy
However; this happened each time I unplugged/plugged in the headlight wires.

That's a new one for me

Old 08-15-2023, 01:56 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
There have been a few posts where the auto roll down and sunroof opening happened while parked and the car getting soaked by rain causing electrical issues and BCM damage. I’ve had it happen once, but luckily no rain or theft. Not sure if it was other keys pressing against remote in my pocket or just a random MINI electrical glitch, but that’s something I’d like to code out in the future.

Old 01-19-2024, 01:49 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Something else I do know and don't know about my Mini....
During the colder months (Nov - Feb), my car alarm will go off and reset several times until either the engine cools down or the wind ceases to change direction.
It's not so much as annoying to me as it is, perhaps to my neighbors.

Although I do have INPA, NCSExpert and NCSDummy installed on one of my laptops (when the car was tuned), but I've never and don't know how to use it.

I wonder if there is a sensitivity setting that can be adjusted for the alarm/immobilizer?

Old 01-19-2024, 02:39 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 356 Likes on 276 Posts
I don’t remember any sensitivity settings, but I also wasn’t specifically looking for them when I coded my alarm. If I get ambitious this weekend, I’ll drag my old laptop out and take a look at my files.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Maybe a bad sensor that triggers when it is cold?

Old 01-20-2024, 11:19 AM
deepgrey
6th Gear
I wondered about a sensor as well. I think it just disables the interior motion sensor if you double click the lock button, so you could try that and see if it still triggers for no reason.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:32 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by deepgrey
I don’t remember any sensitivity settings, but I also wasn’t specifically looking for them when I coded my alarm. If I get ambitious this weekend, I’ll drag my old laptop out and take a look at my files.
It's 30° this weekend!!!
That's kind of you to offer - but man, I wouldn't wish braving those cold temps on my worst enemy...just to have a look for curiosity sake.
However if you do happen to spot something (alarm sensitivity), through any of the apps; I would be greatful if you could share some insight.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Maybe a bad sensor that triggers when it is cold?
That's not a bad suggestion.
My Mini has lived most of it's life in sunny FL and the SW. The alarm never went off during those years and only if the car was bumped of jarred when locked and armed.
It was only in the last few years after having moved 500mi N that the siren would go off when temps fell below 50°. Within those first 3years, during the colder months, that the alarm went off constantly to the point where the audible siren finally stopped working and only the lights would flash. I finally pulled the alarm out and took it apart. I discovered that the small wire connected/soldered from the board to the siren had detached. I soldered it back in place and all was good again. Well, that is; for me and my Mini...Probably not so much for my neighbors....
I digress.
To your suggestion: I think I'll try and add some sort of thermo insulator around the immobilizer/tilt sensors to see if that might actually work.
Thanks!

Old 01-20-2024, 11:36 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by deepgrey
I wondered about a sensor as well. I think it just disables the interior motion sensor if you double click the lock button, so you could try that and see if it still triggers for no reason.
Ahh - I was typing my previous reply when you posted.
Yup - I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Here2Go
It's 30° this weekend!!!
8 deg F when I got up this morning. Never got about 15 deg. And there was a wind. I stayed in today.

Originally Posted by Here2Go
To your suggestion: I think I'll try and add some sort of thermo insulator around the immobilizer/tilt sensors to see if that might actually work.
Thanks!
thermo insulator - Won’t hurt to try.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of something inside the sensor is broken and the cold is causing 2 things (plastic vs metal, maybe) to contract at different rates causing it to think it is feeling a vibration from the car. Or something along those lines. I would think something like insulation will just slow the process of cooling off, but given enough time, it will be at the outside temp. But maybe getting there more slowly will work for you? Don’t know.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:50 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Ha. It was in the teens when I woke up this morning. My condo has a bunch of single-pane windows that don’t seal well, and this heat pump is struggling.

No worries about the cold though. I always read and save the files I plan on modifying, both to verify that I have all the latest changes I’ve made and to make sure I can communicate with the car. No need to sit out in the cold to look through them.

I didn’t see anything in my BC1 file that indicated sensitivity. It could still be there somewhere since my version of NCSDummy is old though.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI