R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 mcs or mc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
mini63
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
other interest

i have two other major interest. first is down hill skateboarding, which i have made my own board with my dads help and modified and trucks and other items on it with bigger and better stuff. which helps he hit over 40mph on most hills i can find big enough. i also have a 1963 vespa, which i have highly modified or played with. i had my friend put led ligth on it which is sweeet becuase i have led now and it doesnt even have a batterie becuase of how old it is. i have completely torn it apart and rebiuld everythign and painted it all myself. so i am a tinkerer. i just want to know that is i dont get stick would it be horrible, is stick alot betterer then auto and cvt.? thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by findude
Test drive both, back to back, and drive them the way you like to drive. Your preference should be obvious after that experience.
I test drove both and didnt feel that much difference in my downtown test drive and bought an MC. But then the MC released my demon and then I really learned how to drive. So maybe a MC is good for a less experienced driver, lets you figure out how to get the max out of your car instead of hopping in the driver seat of a MCS and being overwhelmed. This is the only reason that I am glad I got the MC before the MCS, it was like my MINI training car.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Yes, if you want the max out of your car and you are a modder and tinkerer, a stick MCS would be the best, IMO.

I used to longboard, so I know the mentality. MCS would be a better match for the crazy need for speed too.

If I were you I would go for a used MCS over a new MC if that helps.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
Another thing to keep in mind...there are different exclusive color options available for each model. Since it sounds like you're not the kind of person who simply must have the S model, you might want to take that into account. If I could have got an S convertible in Solar Red, I would have, but alas it's a Cooper-only color. For me, the joys of supercharged S driving and top-down motoring won out, but you might find what matters most to you is having the car that looks exactly the way you want it...and that might put you in a Cooper instead of an S.

Performance is great, but it sounds like you really love MINIs, so don't forget the aesthetics.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Yeah! Classic -- been there done that - 67 Riley Elf and 91 JC Mini... and I'll be back, but this time it'll be a clubbie!

Based on the feedback from our original poster, I would say:
- Used '03 MC
- Manual transmission
- HK
- MFSW

It sounds like you have a modest budget, so used.
Although the CVT would seem to fit the bill, I bet that you might want all of the performance that you could get after a while. It's really up to you.
The rest of the stuff is just to maintain interest without loading the thing up with options...

... But that's just me! Good luck with the search :-)

Old 02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini63
i have two other major interest. first is down hill skateboarding, which i have made my own board with my dads help and modified and trucks and other items on it with bigger and better stuff. which helps he hit over 40mph on most hills i can find big enough. i also have a 1963 vespa, which i have highly modified or played with. i had my friend put led ligth on it which is sweeet becuase i have led now and it doesnt even have a batterie becuase of how old it is. i have completely torn it apart and rebiuld everythign and painted it all myself. so i am a tinkerer. i just want to know that is i dont get stick would it be horrible, is stick alot betterer then auto and cvt.? thanks
As everyone else had said....drive both....But I think it sounds like you are going to get a MCS to me

Old 02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things are REALLY going to get ugly when they introduce the Countryman... Then we'll have 3 models to argue about!!!

Old 02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Ummm....Supercharger! Along with center exhaust, S badging, bonnet scoop...imo an S is all around better! Oh, and there not much more.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
The CVT is excellent for in-city driving and freeway speeds...economical for trips...and, nice for spirited driving along twisty roads. It's nice for me because I can mix up the different modes to fit whatever style of driving I want. Even though I grew up in a stick-shift, as long as the CVT is out there, I'll never use a clutch again.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
If yo u have a need for speed,the s is for you.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a new theory on this question which I think may warrant further research. Here it is: If you have to ask the question, get an MCS. Interesting, eh?

Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I have a new theory on this question which I think may warrant further research. Here it is: If you have to ask the question, get an MCS. Interesting, eh?
That may actually be a very accurate theory. I do get the feeling that a lot of people who ask the question are actually saying subconsciously "Please convince me not to spend the extra money that I already know in my heart of hearts I am going to spend."

Old 02-24-2006, 08:14 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porco Rosso
That may actually be a very accurate theory. I do get the feeling that a lot of people who ask the question are actually saying subconsciously "Please convince me not to spend the extra money that I already know in my heart of hearts I am going to spend."
To the originator's "MC or MCS?" question, my answer is "Yes" .

To the quote, I can add that asking questions in NAM forums really HAS given me many opportunities to exercise good judgement. PR's right on, I am guilty many times over, of throwing something out there, hoping to be talked out of (or into) it. Just one of NAM's many member benefits .

Tatt

Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
I have another theory, people who ask that question here always end up getting the S, because the fact that they asked indicates they are prone to peer pressure (they care too much about what other people think) and because they asked here, we all know what kind of answer they'll get.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i need to break the momentum again.

MC's with CVT's are very cool.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
MC's with CVT's are very cool.
I agree completely. If indeed MINI owners in general have no need to "compensate" then a MINI CVT owner must be the most highly "endowed" of the lot!!! And don't even get me started in those beasts across the pond driving Ones and One Ds!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 AM
mini63
1st Gear
well thanks for the imput. so far my dad said i can start looking for a mini cooper. he wants me to get that becuase of the less money, but i am going to go with the mcs becuase in my mind it is the ultimite car. so drop me a line if you kwo of anyone in the orange county area with a mcs grey or green. i am still depicting the stick verse auto. but thanks for all the insight ...

Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porco Rosso
Thats easy! Go look in the marketplace forum and look all the MCS's for sale about 10 to 1 to a MC for about the same price as an MC. For the MCS being so prefered over the MC seems alot of people dump them

So if you need convinced ......See that spending 25k for a full spec MCS will be worth about 18-20k in 3 years meanwhile the guy that bough MC with no options still sells close to what he paid retail.....make the MC look like a pretty good choice

Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cooper!

Old 02-24-2006, 05:33 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Both are great cars, and do drive them back to back - I did, and settled on a 2006 MC with 5sp. I can tell you that weight makes a difference in a cooper. Mine has no sunroof (I don't like them) and the 15" holeys. My car feels more "nimble" than the MCS I drove, it gets great mileage, (28mpg to 33mpg in my actual measurements) and all the controls have a wonderful, direct, "light" feel to them. The ride quality with the standard sport susp. & the normal (non runflat) tires is great, and the handling (particularly with the addt'n of 19mm rear sway bar and sticky tires) is also wonderful. That said, I also have a 225hp Audi TT to drive when I want to feel the acceleration. Got to tell you though, day in and day out, I find the Cooper more fun to drive, and there's something to the "less is more" philosophy sometimes. You'll enjoy either car. Keep us posted

Old 02-24-2006, 06:01 PM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Hey you know what, I reckon you're right! The MC will not satisfy someone who think "What if..."

I'm strange, I'm young and like to drive fast, yet I'm completely satisfied with the MC. Not many weird people like me on NAM, thats for sure

Edit: Seems like mini552 is just like me, I also have a MC, with no sunroof (don't like them!) and the 15" holeys. And the nimbleness is exactly what I love about my MC too.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xtremepsionic
I also have a MC, with no sunroof and the 15" holeys...the nimbleness is exactly what I love about my MC
I'm definitely w/ you guys on this 100% (except I'm not young and don't really drive all that fast)!!! My Cooper is configured similarly and I'm totally hooked. Not much has been made of intentionally light-weight Coopers...pity they are so overlooked. A blast and, generally, (note to potential buyers) a rediculous bargain!

Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
okay then... if we are going to respond...

dont go for the MCSa. they are ALL trouble. and YES I speak as a former owner of one.
mine has been FLAWLESS...

Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 AM
mini552
4th Gear
I'm definitely w/ you guys on this 100% (except I'm not young and don't really drive all that fast)!!! My Cooper is configured similarly and I'm totally hooked. Not much has been made of intentionally light-weight Coopers...pity they are so overlooked. A blast and, generally, (note to potential buyers) a rediculous bargain!
Yeah - I'm not very your (53), and I don't drive all that fast (except on a great road), but I love the lightweight Qship quality of the Cooper. Got the Mymini touring exhaust (wonderful piece), the Hsport 19mm rear bar) and will probably go with MTH software, and I've got a ridiculously enjoyable ride that routinely gets over 30mpg, maybe 26mpg if I flog it, rides and handles great, and the total cost (including the aftermarket pieces) was about $21.5K, and that's with HK stereo, Xenons, chromeline, heated sport seats, etc. So, FWIW, lightweight Coopers definitely rock (as does a lightweight MCS).

Old 02-25-2006, 05:47 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
I think it's great the MC owners espousing the virtues of their great rides, modded or not. Very refreshing, good things in a potentially flameful thread.

You guys got in on the ground floor before the MSRP starts to climb (don't you think it WILL?), and I envy you that.

Very Nice,
Tatt