R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 JCW CAI filter price concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Hu99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand how you can drop around 30 large on a car then whinge about $100 filters which only need replacing maybe twice a year. Maybe the "inspector Gadget" in you is stimulated by the attempt to jury-rig a cheapo replacement, but I'd just as soon do it right and quickly. But that's just my opinion.....to each his own.
I'd be more willing to pay the going rate for JCW filters if the JCW/CAI was actually going to sound as good as some aftermarket CAI's. One more thing that's sure to annoy some of you......I wouldn't touch a K&N product with a ten-foot pole, and before I get flamed, I say that after 20 years experience racing motorcycles. IMHO K&N products are over-rated and after doing innumerable engine teardowns over the years, a Kawasaki stock filter will give better protection than it's K&N replacement.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
I just found out about this replacement for the JCW filter. No mods needed. A straight replacement for $99

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=272

Old 09-22-2006, 11:00 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Okay, so how well do these other filters really filter? I just read a post from a motorcycle mechanic (on another forum obviously) who said he would see much more issues and rebuilds of engines on bikes with K&N filters then with the stock. This reminded me how I've heard similar things pop up about this on car forums in the past too. Does anyone know for sure if the K&N and other performance oriented filters allow more crud in?

Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Okay, so how well do these other filters really filter? I just read a post from a motorcycle mechanic (on another forum obviously) who said he would see much more issues and rebuilds of engines on bikes with K&N filters then with the stock. This reminded me how I've heard similar things pop up about this on car forums in the past too. Does anyone know for sure if the K&N and other performance oriented filters allow more crud in?
I've read the post to which you are referring and thinks it's a bit overblown. I'm not saying i doesn't have merit, but to be fair, the K&N works well.

Personally, I have my flap removed and the filter replaced with an ITG replacement filter. I've found it to be an excellent mod that anybody can do. The best part is that if you don't like it, you can simply replace the parts back to stock.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
The stock replacement is $100 retail, with 10-15% off from some dealers. It is not cleanable and is meant to be thrown away.
GULP! Called up two local MINI dealers, both want +$200 for one filter!

Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aminicooper
GULP! Called up two local MINI dealers, both want +$200 for one filter!
I've got one for sale that was pulled from my new JCW after a couple of thousand miles. PM me if you are interested.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Anyone know what Classic is charging nowadays?

Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Morris9982
4th Gear
Everything that I've read through the years about foam/oiled filters in general indicate that they do not filter as well as the stock paper type filters.

Do they flow more air? Yep. How? The openings in the foam is larger than the paper filters. Larger openings = less restricted flow. But...larger openings = less efficient filtering.

There is a general disagreement (in the articles I have read) on whether the particles the foam filter allows through is really harmful to the motor.

One thing I keep in mind when reading about using racing parts on a street car is that racing motors get overhauled every week. I don't want to do that to my car.

I had foam filters on a Porsche I used to own that had two three barrel Weber's. Sounded great. The effect on the life of the motor? I'm not sure as I didn't keep the car that long.

Best alternative would be to maximize the surface area of the paper filter.

Interesting article (for what it's worth: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

To each their own though.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:50 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Morris9982
Everything that I've read through the years about foam/oiled filters in general indicate that they do not filter as well as the stock paper type filters.

Do they flow more air? Yep. How? The openings in the foam is larger than the paper filters. Larger openings = less restricted flow. But...larger openings = less efficient filtering.

There is a general disagreement (in the articles I have read) on whether the particles the foam filter allows through is really harmful to the motor.

To each their own though.
I had a K&N CAI on my 94 camaro for 150K Miles with no problems. I would assume the particles that get thru would cause problems in the cyls with scoring and lost of compression... right? If that is the case, when my head gasket went at 180K miles the mechanics were impressed by the compression in all of the cyls and recomended only the head gasket replacement.

I now have the K&N Cone filter on both my wife's and my JCW intakes. I got both filters for $50, 1/2 the price of one OEM replacement.