R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things no other car but a MINI can do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006 | 08:35 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Sweet

Old 03-25-2006 | 11:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
What a great story!! Yeah, MINI's can charm, for sure. I was walking to the parking lot the other day (with a very cute girl I might add) and when she saw my MINI she blurted out, "Oh there's your car...it has a face!!" Few cars you see out there on the road these days have that kind of charm.

Old 03-25-2006 | 01:02 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
That reminds me of that Panasonic commercial that asks "What is the color of innocence?" and shows the gangbanger looking guys ride by and stop and smile when they see the Christmas lights. MINIs sure have that same appeal, they take you right back to an innocent kid and make you grin. I love to see kids in other cars point and smile.

Old 03-25-2006 | 01:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Another thing MINIs can do...take ordinary neighborhood errands and make them (the driving part anyway) extraordinary. My usual running about equates essentially to nothing but twisties...just what MINIs were made for!!! I feel just like that kid!!! When zooming about well within the speed limit is still a blast, you know you've got a winner!!

Old 03-25-2006 | 02:27 PM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Great story and nice of you to share a little of the fun that we all have with our cars. And Chick-fil-A rocks! Two words for you: Waffle fries! None in Michigan... are they still closed on Sunday?

Old 03-25-2006 | 02:35 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Awesome story, brought a huge smile to my face

Old 03-26-2006 | 05:56 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
Awesome!

That is the best story ever! Never heard of Chik-fil-a until I moved to Ohio, but it is THE best chicken sandwich on the planet. I eat at the one in Beechwood often. Only place in town to get southeren sweet tea! I buy it from them by the gallon! (my only sugar indulgement, so....) This story is just one more reason I will NEVER sell my '04 MINI. These cars bring just so much joy to me and everyone that sees them. You can't put price on that. Thanks for making me glad I made the best choice in cars ever. Cheers!

Old 03-26-2006 | 06:33 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Please excuse the cynacism...

[quote=ChiliCooperS]Tonight I experienced something that was awesome. I thought I would share it with the board and see if you have any similar experiences.

About a week ago I ate by myself at the local Chick Fil A, and sat behind this lady and her son which was about 2-4 I was guessing. He seemed down and depressed the entire time I was there hardly ever talking to his mom, which we all know is kind of odd for someone of this age. They got up to leave the same time I did, and we were walking out in the parking lot by each other, and his mom goes, "Hey buddy look at that cool little car over there, that's a MINI Cooper." The kids eyes lit up and he went "Whoaaaohh" and pointed at my car. She looked back at me and smiled and I said "Does he want to see it?" She said "Buddy do you want to see the MINI?" He goes "I can?" I said sure come right over here. I opened the driver's side door and said "Get in!" He climbed up in the driver's seat and sat down gripping the wheel and smiling from ear to ear making engine noises every once in a while. I said "You look awesome in it sport!" He looked up and smiled at me, after a couple minutes he climbed out, still smiling and went over to his mom who thanked me and told me what a great young man I was and to have a good night and went to their car.

Tonight I went back to the same Chick Fil A and I came out to a note on my windshield.

"Sir, thank you for showing my son your car the other nite. We had been having problems with him for a few weeks, and he was quiet and out of touch. Ever since you should him it and let him sit in it he can't stop talking about the "cool red MINI Cooper." He is back to his old self, something my husband and I are very happy and thankful for. You are a sweet young man, and did something most wouldn't, and I wanted to leave you a note to thank you and tell you how much of an impact you made on our son's life over the last week, and how much I appreciate what you did for me.

Thank You

______ ________"

but after 10 years on the "oh so trustworthy internet" I'd like to see a scan of the mothers note that is not in your handwriting. If this offends you understand that I take no pleasure in asking, but there are waaay to many phonies out there. I'm not shedding my hard earned tears on some made up story that is just designed to draw attention to a poster.

Old 03-26-2006 | 06:50 AM
ladiebug
Neutral
WOW, great warm encounter!
It really amazes me how Humans respond to the Mini - I guess, in one way or the other, we all, on a personal level and regardless of age, identify ourselves with the Mini: The Mini is different, unique, has odd shapes and curves but yet pleases the senses, a small "person" in a big "person" world that chooses not to compromise to uniformity, and ultimately, has a big heart capable of exalting the mind and spirit in all of us.
Thanks for sharing and happy motoring to all!

-Deane
'06 MCS, 6sp

Old 03-26-2006 | 08:51 AM
Risu
6th Gear
Great story mikey

Old 03-26-2006 | 11:01 AM
rottenron
1st Gear
Another perfect example of how magical a Mini Cooper experiece can be. Thanks for sharing! My car giving story is: As a shop owner, one day a customer brought his 5 year old son to the shop with him. I had just finished work on a high performance Corvette. The boy and his father were admiring the car. I started the car - the boy's eyes lit up. I accelerated the engine from under the hood, he covered his ears. Then I asked him "would you like to try this?" His dad said "try it". As he opened the throttle you could see the love for a car come over him.

Old 03-26-2006 | 11:45 AM
novemberist
3rd Gear
Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:33 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Nice story Mikey

As for Chik-fil-A, my favorite thing is the chicken biscuit for breakfast. And yes, they are still closed on Sundays which sometimes makes me sad as generally the only time I would want fast food for breakfast is on the weekend, say on my way to an autox, but they are closed

Old 03-27-2006 | 08:05 AM
jcmini
2nd Gear
Very cool

Old 03-27-2006 | 08:23 AM
deemotored
4th Gear
*sniff* that story made me want to run right out to Chick Fil A. -

Old 03-27-2006 | 11:32 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fred3
but after 10 years on the "oh so trustworthy internet" I'd like to see a scan of the mothers note that is not in your handwriting. If this offends you understand that I take no pleasure in asking, but there are waaay to many phonies out there. I'm not shedding my hard earned tears on some made up story that is just designed to draw attention to a poster.
This is a joke right? I really hope so.......

Old 03-28-2006 | 01:23 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Cool story chili. Don't let the cynics cast a pall on your good deed. They can crawl back under their bridge and stay there whilst folks like you bring a bit of sunshine into a kid's life.

...Les

Old 03-29-2006 | 03:21 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
This is a joke right? I really hope so.......
Its no joke. Search fred3's posts. You'll see that it's his warm fuzzy nature. :impatient

Old 03-29-2006 | 03:35 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by MiniMaxx
Its no joke. Search fred3's posts. You'll see that it's his warm fuzzy nature. :impatient
ChiliCooperS made the original post MiniMaxx, not fred3.

Old 03-29-2006 | 06:59 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Whoa, awesome story! Very touching.

On most days, it feels like the entire world is a steaming pile of horse poop. But after reading stories like this, it gives me hope.

Oh...what kinda resturant is a Chick Fil A??? I guess it's a midwest thing.
OMG! You unlucky person, not to have a Chick-Fil-A! It's only the best chicken around!!!!

-Cody

Awesome story man!

Old 03-29-2006 | 07:53 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by sndwave
ChiliCooperS made the original post MiniMaxx, not fred3.
sndwave, I think the "joke" question was directed fred3's cynicism - the fact that fred3 wanted to see a scanned copy of the note. I think MiniMaxx was just pointing out that fred3's cynicism is a habit, based upon his pasts posts, so "no, fred3 wasn't joking"... and being sarcastic about fred3's "warm, fuzzy nature".

NOTE: I in no way intended to demean or criticize fred3 with this post... this is just how I have interpreted the posts above.

As for me, I believe ChiliCooperS' story. I think it's heartwarming. Even if it wasn't real, I'd rather believe it be real and it not be... than the other way around. It was a touching story to read.

Last edited by Edge; 03-29-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2006 | 12:33 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Whoa, awesome story! Very touching.

On most days, it feels like the entire world is a steaming pile of horse poop. But after reading stories like this, it gives me hope.

Oh...what kinda resturant is a Chick Fil A??? I guess it's a midwest thing.
We have them in New Hampshire....you MUST have them in NY?

EDIT: Just ran a search....no NY locations...odd

Old 04-11-2006 | 11:11 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
I had an experience today that reminded me of your story... thought I'd share in this thread too!

I go to the park every (nice) day during lunch and jog. today I was jogging around the track, listening to the latest woofcast (which is pretty much the exact amount of time I need to be jogging) and just generally enjoying what may be the most beautiful day the philly burbs have seen this year. At the one end of the park is a pavilion and the parking lot and each time I'd pass more people were arriving in vans to the pavilion. on my last trip I came off the track past the pavilion to get back into Blue and it turned out to be a group of children that are mentally handicapped. I think that's the correct term. I have a close friend whose older brother has Downs syndrom and I have always loved that guy.

While I'm walking towards Blue, the one caregiver walks over to me and asks if she can ask me a question. turns out the one little boy absolutely loves my car and has been sitting on the bench facing towards Blue the entire time he was there pointing and smiling about it. The caregiver asked me if I wouldn't mind letting him see the car. I immediately thought of this thread and said I could do one better. I drove Blue around and pulled up next to the pavilion and got out of Blue. I offered to let him go for a ride, but the caregiver said that they can't let him do that (I guess insurance reasons or something) but he could sit in the car if I didn't mind. Sure enough the little guy spent the next 5 minutes in Blue smiling and waving and getting his picture taken with the window down and even one with him pretending to drive. I don't think i've ever felt so blessed to be able to bring happiness to a kid that needs it.

It really is amazing how much kids love these little cars... and how much it makes me feel like I'm still a kid sitting in the driveway in my dad's car playing with the gear shifter and horn!

Old 04-11-2006 | 06:43 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
I had an experience today that reminded me of your story... thought I'd share in this thread too!..........It really is amazing how much kids love these little cars... and how much it makes me feel like I'm still a kid sitting in the driveway in my dad's car playing with the gear shifter and horn!
BRAVO!! BRAVO!! BRAVO!!

Old 04-11-2006 | 07:08 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
I hereby do solemly and officially nominate Mikey and theroyalwe to share the post of NAM Goodwill Ambassador!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things no other car but a MINI can do...