R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things no other car but a MINI can do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 08:46 PM
ChiliCooperS
|
6th Gear
Things no other car but a MINI can do...

Tonight I experienced something that was awesome. I thought I would share it with the board and see if you have any similar experiences.

About a week ago I ate by myself at the local Chick Fil A, and sat behind this lady and her son which was about 2-4 I was guessing. He seemed down and depressed the entire time I was there hardly ever talking to his mom, which we all know is kind of odd for someone of this age. They got up to leave the same time I did, and we were walking out in the parking lot by each other, and his mom goes, "Hey buddy look at that cool little car over there, that's a MINI Cooper." The kids eyes lit up and he went "Whoaaaohh" and pointed at my car. She looked back at me and smiled and I said "Does he want to see it?" She said "Buddy do you want to see the MINI?" He goes "I can?" I said sure come right over here. I opened the driver's side door and said "Get in!" He climbed up in the driver's seat and sat down gripping the wheel and smiling from ear to ear making engine noises every once in a while. I said "You look awesome in it sport!" He looked up and smiled at me, after a couple minutes he climbed out, still smiling and went over to his mom who thanked me and told me what a great young man I was and to have a good night and went to their car.

Tonight I went back to the same Chick Fil A and I came out to a note on my windshield.

"Sir, thank you for showing my son your car the other nite. We had been having problems with him for a few weeks, and he was quiet and out of touch. Ever since you should him it and let him sit in it he can't stop talking about the "cool red MINI Cooper." He is back to his old self, something my husband and I are very happy and thankful for. You are a sweet young man, and did something most wouldn't, and I wanted to leave you a note to thank you and tell you how much of an impact you made on our son's life over the last week, and how much I appreciate what you did for me.

Thank You

______ ________"

I never thought I would do it, but a tear ran down my cheek as I sat there and read it.

Really cool!

Mikey

Old 03-24-2006 | 08:59 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Wow, what a heartwarming story.

Old 03-24-2006 | 08:59 PM
DreadPirateTim
2nd Gear
Excellent! I always consider it a great day when I can help someone else smile. Way to go...

As an added bonus, with you as a team Craptastic member, who knows... maybe he'll be the guy bidding on your car at Barret-Jackson!

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:00 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Whoa, awesome story! Very touching.

On most days, it feels like the entire world is a steaming pile of horse poop. But after reading stories like this, it gives me hope.

Oh...what kinda resturant is a Chick Fil A??? I guess it's a midwest thing.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:01 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Good story and something I doubt you'll soon foreget.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:03 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex

On most days, it feels like the entire world is a steaming pile of horse poop. But after reading stories like this, it gives me hope.

It's down in Texas also.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:05 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Never saw one til I came to FL, I thinks like a KFC but I acctually haven't treid one yet.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:07 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
What a great story! You were such a doll to do that, and being a mom I know how she feels. It's also nice to hear that she let you know that your gesture was appreciated and will be remembered.
I must say that most MINI folks seem to be outgoing and giving, totally worthy of their cars .

I have used the MINI to "make friends" as well.
I am the "school nurse" at my daughter's school. I'm not really a nurse, but do have to take care of a number of diabetics daily, monitoring blood sugar, calculating insulin, giving the injections, etc.
We had a new kindergartner start this year, and he wasn't too sure he was going to like me, much less let me give him shots every day. When I started, I was just a couple of weeks away from getting El Kabong (who was as yet un-named). Anyway I printed my configuration from the MINI USA site and taped it up on the wall near where he would come in every day to get his shot, at that point his mom or dad would come in every day to do it. After a couple of days he asked me about it (you can almost ALWAYS get a boys attention with a cool pic of a car!) So I told him that was my new car that I was waiting and waiting for. I started printing other pics from here on NAM showing him some of the mods and asking him which ones I should do, which really got him into it. On my first day driving El Kabong to school I walked him out to the parking lot to check him out and he was psyched. Oddly enough he let me start doing his shots the next day! We are now the best of buds and you should have seen his face when I printed the pics from the driving school at Road Atlanta and told him it was really ME driving!!!
Annette

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:12 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Never saw one til I came to FL, I thinks like a KFC but I acctually haven't treid one yet.
You're missing out. It's nothing like KFC. The original chicken sandwiches and chikcen nuggets/strips are awesome.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:13 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear

They have them in the south. It is a chicken place. Tastes good. Try it if you get the chance. But not on the level of Sonic or the Waffle House. Those are a must if you get the chance.

Back on topic: Very cool stories. I love to talk a bout MINIs/Minis. Every one I work with has had to suffer through at least one ride in the MINI.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:18 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Chik-fil-a was born and bred right here in Atlanta

To leave work in the afternoon, I shortcut through a neighborhood. There are some kids that are out in the front yard of one house on nice days and they usually wave. A couple of weeks ago when it finally was warm enough, I had my windows all the way down and the little boy was waving and this time yelled "I love your car!!!!!!"... I waved and then smiled the whole way home, that kid has potential.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:20 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Actually it's a Georgia thing!! Nothing at all like KFC, chicken sandwiches that are REALLY good, especially with an ice cold lemonade!
The founder, S. Truett Cathey, lives here in Atlanta and is a really nice guy, with a nice giving family as well.
Of course at my house we call it "chick for a lay" which is what my son thought it was called when he was a little guy.

Annette

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:23 PM
Suzannne
4th Gear
Aww...that made me think of kind of a "big brother/little brother" scenario...anytime you can make a lil' kids day just by driving a MINI is awesome. I don't think it stops at children though, most of us have random strangers comment on our cars and ask us about them...and the majority of those people walk away with smiles on their faces, IMO.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:23 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Mikey: What a wonderful story! Kudos to you for what you did--and to the Mom for letting you know you made a difference.

Old 03-24-2006 | 09:26 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Ok, now that we all know about Chick-a-Fil, which I will try. I know the kids in my neighborhood all wave and shout there goes that small car when I drive by the bus stop. I was in a parade last week, and while waiting for a train to cross the parade route and I got to see a whole bunch of MINIs put smiles on kids faces. There really is much more to this car than metal, and it is no small part due to people like Mikey. Keep Motoring!!

Old 03-24-2006 | 10:02 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
That is the BEST MINI story I have heard... Must make you feel fantastic that you made such a profound impression....

Donna

Old 03-24-2006 | 10:32 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Old 03-24-2006 | 10:43 PM
creeker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Ever since you should him it and let him sit in it he can't stop talking about the "cool red MINI Cooper."
I must also admit that my cool red MINI Cooper brings a joyful tear to my eye every day.

Old 03-24-2006 | 11:33 PM
minibot
3rd Gear
Aww. That's sweet.

I've been to one Chik-Fil-A and that's the one in Sugar Land, TX. My college roommate always raved about 'em so I tried it. It's pretty good!

Old 03-25-2006 | 01:23 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibot
Aww. That's sweet.

I've been to one Chik-Fil-A and that's the one in Sugar Land, TX. My college roommate always raved about 'em so I tried it. It's pretty good!
Ahhh, good old Sugar Land.

Old 03-25-2006 | 03:26 AM
jerjer
4th Gear
oo.. thats so sweet. ! mini does tend to cheer ppl up, doesn't it !~

Old 03-25-2006 | 04:08 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Great story. Glad your MINI is red. It wouldn't have worked as well with any other color.

Old 03-25-2006 | 04:43 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Thank you! Super Sweet Story.

Old 03-25-2006 | 04:54 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Whoa, MIKEY

Old 03-25-2006 | 05:00 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
He climbed up in the driver's seat and sat down gripping the wheel and smiling from ear to ear making engine noises every once in a while.
Has the same effect on me! (Call it mini therapy)

ChiliCoop: good work

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things no other car but a MINI can do...