R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 HELP My MINI had to be rescued!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 03:41 PM
xMINIx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone...I'm looking for some help. About 2 weeks ago, I took my PW/BLK MINI into the dealer to have the pesky cold weather problem fixed. The next day on my way home the low tire pressure gauge came on, I called my dealer a little freaked(I hadnt had any problems...YET) and checked the tires the back drivers side was low (18psi) put air in, reset button, all set....yesterday, driving on the thruway, the light comes on again...get off thruway put air in rear tire again, start on the rest of my way(heres where the real trouble starts) about a mile down the road, going about 40mph it starts making a bling-bling chime, the abs and brake light start coming on and going off rapidily, the temp gauge pegs to hot, the speedo needle goes from 40 to 0 to 40 etc. So now I'm freaking out, I pull over and call roadside assistance. I shut off the car get out and the tach is still lit up with the temp...the key is in my hand!! I get back in and start it up sounds fine, but no instrument gauges...only the radio. She got flatbedded to my dealer, and there she sits...they dont know whats wrong yet and I was hoping maybe someone whould have some insight. Thanks in advance for any help...sorry this is so long too.

Sue - MINIless for now

Old 03-05-2003, 04:21 PM
2ndMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds a little like the "Christine" syndrome. Christine was the haunted car from a Stephen King novel which kept running and doing wierd stuff despite the efforts of the owner. The syndrome occurs when there has been a fault in the main body computer for the MINI. As you may know, just about every guage and control in the car goes through the main computer to accomplish its duty. When there's a failure, it can look a little spooky. Hope it works out quickly.

2nd

Old 03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds like the ghost of Lucas. . . . . despite the fact that there is not a single Lucas component on the MINI