R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Lo-Jack???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
billster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lo-Jack???????

Our MCS's are now at the dealers and we got the spiel for Lo-Jack installation. Sounded good to moi, but.....$1400?? Is it worth this...any experience or comments re: this (i.e.: is it necessary in a mini, etc.?)

Thanks.
Bill

Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Scooby03
Former Vendor
I have it and like it. I found out it works when the battery went dead in the senser, and they called and emailed me.

I put mine in 1-1/2 years ago, and paid just under $700 for it. Price may depend on the area, I don't know.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billster
Our MCS's are now at the dealers and we got the spiel for Lo-Jack installation. Sounded good to moi, but.....$1400?? Is it worth this...any experience or comments re: this (i.e.: is it necessary in a mini, etc.?)
A couple of points for you
  1. Coming from the state that originated LoJACK, I can say that it has a place for the job it does. If you live in a high auto theft area with a car thieves love to steal to part out, ship to Mexico, or kids take joy drives, it does help for rapid recovery
  2. Check the theft rates for MINIs. There are several threads here .... We can find no documented evidence of any MINI being stolen WITHOUT the key. (towed, yes). See the appropriate thread for the actual theft rate.
  3. $1400 cannot be for basic lojack. Basic is about $700. The price quoted must be for optional extras like paying you more if the car is damaged, etc. not worth it. The extra couple of hundred, if you were in the market, for motion alerts probably is worth it it were in a target car.
The choice is yours

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I had Lo-Jack in my previous car. With the savings I got from my insurance, it paid itself off during the course of the auto loan. See how much you'll save on your insurance policy.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
LOJACK works....

A friend of mine living in Miami bought a used pick-up.

It was stolen and he reported it, never expecting to see it again.

Within 24 hrs the police called him and said they had it. When he went to claim it they told him it had been recoved via lo-jack. "good investment"

He didn't even know lo-jack was installed...but once the VIN went into the system....

soooooooooo....depending on where you live and your paranoia level....

Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
I had Lo-Jack in my previous car. With the savings I got from my insurance, it paid itself off during the course of the auto loan. See how much you'll save on your insurance policy.[Emphasis added.]
I put one in a previous car and then tried to get a discount and was told by the agent that State Farm doesn't give discounts for LoJack installs.... However, unless you are getting a significant discount on your insurance premium, I doubt that $1,400 will be paid for out of premium savings.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 AM
bolus
4th Gear
There is a thread on actual theft rates of mini's. 15 cars per year out of 33000 manufactured that year + all the existing Mini's sounds like a really low number. Probably a better investment for an alarm to perhaps hinder theft of stuff from the car?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=67100

Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
billster
1st Gear
THanks

....for the replies. When he explained it it sounded good to me. The whole system with refunds and paybacks, etc. Living in metro NY/NYC I worry.....Had to laugh. He tells us that if you're car is being stolen your phone will ring with message "Do NOT go out to your car - it's being stolen!" That's MY signal to grab the .45 and hightail it out there.....:impatient. Blam!

My personal jury is still out on the decision but your input has helped. Thanks again!

Billster

Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thread just yesterday someone cited that the Mini is officially the 181st most stolen auto (in terms of theft RATE, not numbers of thefts). Pretty low on the list. That thread also cited the ridiculously low number stolen without the key that was cited earlier here. I have Lo-Jack, but I might pass if I had it to do over and knew what I know now.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
SkyZero
1st Gear
Got Lo-Jack installed in our 06 MCSC, mostly for the discount on the insurance and the "you never know..." syndrome. We paid about 700 for ours too, 1400 sounds like a heckuva lot to pay for the install.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....for the replies. When he explained it it sounded good to me. The whole system with refunds and paybacks, etc. Living in metro NY/NYC I worry.....Had to laugh. He tells us that if you're car is being stolen your phone will ring with message "Do NOT go out to your car - it's being stolen!" That's MY signal to grab the .45 and hightail it out there.....:impatient. Blam!
While I can understand the desire to protect your property from theft, grabbing the .45 and taking matters into your own hands could get you in further trouble. In certain cities in California, you might be on the receiving end of an excessive use of force/wrongful death lawsuit....

It might be better to make sure you have real good insurance coverage on the car. The additional cost (of the extra insurance) pales in comparison to what you would have to shell out for defense of an excessive use of force/wrongful death lawsuit.

In California, the prudent rule seems to be firearms get used only inside of your home (not anywhere on your property).

Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 AM
billster
1st Gear
Thanks again for further inputs. I think i'll forego the Lo-Jack at that price.

cheers
Billster

Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
Thanks again for further inputs. I think i'll forego the Lo-Jack at that price.

cheers
Billster
See if you can get them to toss it in. We got ours that way

Old 04-29-2006, 02:36 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
If i were you, i would invest in the $700. seems like a great deal, mostly if it will bring ur insurance lower.

$1400 is too much but again, u dont need the extra package that im sure their offering.