R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Universal City MINI - Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:01 PM
red03miniS
Banned
i was going to go to "coast to coast"

but i will just go to the one you went to...

any contact info?
and should i use you as a reference? (i dont even know what ur mini looks like to tell them..lol)

lifetime warranty?
how long did it take?
where is it located?

mighty miniz said 140 at coast to coast

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:13 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
I'm sure the one MightMiniz recommended is great too. We MINI owners only accept the best for our cars :smile:

Their # is 818 906 8468. Guy's name is Hameed. Tell him George who got his MINI tinted on Saturday recommended them. My MCS is Dark Silver with a black top. So he recommended the charcoal 35% all around. Remember though, unless you get those back window dots painted like somebody posted, you will get that slight "halo" effect on your back windows that everybody was talking about.

It was $125, took two hours. You have to call for an appointment, but they might be able to fit you in the same day. Lifetime warranty, the works... If you're coming from the 405 South, go 101 East, exit Van Nuys, turn right, and and then an immediate left. Their parking lot is on the left.

FYI, not affiliated with them, this is my third car I've gotten tinted there, in addition to my house windows..

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:16 PM
red03miniS
Banned
thanks sam thats where i will take it

i live in simi valley, so i will have to take the 118east to the 405

i am not sure what "charcoal" tint is

but i wanted to do 35% all the way around..cuz i dont like the different %s..but lately i was thinking of getting a bit darker..hmm...

my lexus has 35% and at times it seems a bit light

btw, my MCS is chili red with black top :smile:

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:17 PM
red03miniS
Banned
is the halo effect ugly?

oh wel i am gonna do it anyways..so nevermind

however, did they know how to tint the front windows, since it goes down? i want to make sure the fronts are all tinted :smile:

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:19 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
>> i am not sure what "charcoal" tint is
there's brown tint, charcoal, reflective, etc ...

he has the tint samples on some glass. 35% does look a little light, but ends up looking very nice on the car. There are two more %s darker than the 35%. Mind you, you can still see through the 35%. You prbly would be alright going one more darker than the 35% if you want.

Funny how this thread has nothing to do with Unversal MINI anymore!

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:26 PM
red03miniS
Banned
hehe sorry to ruin ur thread sam

i will go see what he has..and waht the heck charcoal is..lol

back on topic

Old 03-16-2003 | 07:26 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Here we go....

Went to Universal Mini.... First month they opened.... POOR POOR SALES STAFF... The Receptionist was more helpful... I wanted to test drive... it was about 6:30PM on a tuesday.... It was a ghost town... allegedly 3 salespeople on staff... none to be seen.... then one comes up... Jim... said hi, asked him SIMPLE Mini questions, he said " I don't really know..." then he said I probably knew more than he did, and walked away... next guy walks up... muscle head... idiot. I asked the receptionist if I could get in one, test drive it etc.... mind you, no one was there at all.... She said they only SCHEDULED test drives.... MORONITY Next a family of 4... all blonde - all american looking ( not that I'm not) Immediatly, the inflated featherhead runs them out to test drive a Mini... I found out that they did NOT have an appointment... So... I bought at Assael Mini in Monrovia... It was EASY and they knew what they were talking about! Top it off... No Scheduled test drives... and then I bought one!

CENTURY WEST Service has been TOP NOTCH and they have done everything they could to maintain a good relationship with me. I first serviced with Shawn... then was transfered to Tony... Both KNOW what's going on. Even Loaners. I went in before the recall on the transcable... got it taken care of beyond what MINI finally approved as the "Fix".

I cannot comment on Universal Sales now... maybe they are up to par now... who knows. I would hope so!

And tiniting... got mine at 5% back 3 and 25% for the front 2 $125.00 I love it!

Old 03-16-2003 | 07:31 PM
red03miniS
Banned

>>
>>And tiniting... got mine at 5% back 3 and 25% for the front 2 $125.00 I love it!

mightyminiz...i want to do 35% all the way around....but what you did sounds really good..though i dont like the diff tint look

do you have any pics????

Old 03-18-2003 | 07:56 PM
rrmixn
2nd Gear
I was all excited and ready to buy a "S" from Universal, went for a test drive and ordered a Indie Blue/White S on the spot. I told them I was willing to pay 1K over sticker and was told that that shouldn't be a problem ( my mistake in not finalizing the price but I was running out of time.). I gave them a deposit on the car and a few days later when I went in to finalize the deal was told the best that they could do was 3K over!!! Needless to say I was not happy and after a 3 wk hassel I finally got my deposit back. Got mine at Brecht for MSRP
I've only had 1 dealing w/ the service dept at Universal and so far so good. (Although to get a appointment for the sunroof fix it is a 3 wk wait.) We'll see how the first major service goes.I'm not holding my breath as they all work for the same guy.

Old 03-18-2003 | 08:22 PM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
General impression from multiple visits (last year) to Universal MINI just to scope them out (I already had taken delivery of an MCS in early May 2002) was that the sales staff was incompetent (I used to sell cars in the 1980's, so evaluate others from a 'professional' viewpoint). Also thought Universal MINI had ***** to rip off people they way they were (an aside: bought my MCS for $19,850 from Irvine MINI... but due to personal connection and ordering in early 2001, Irvine was getting "additional dealer markup" just like the rest).

As for no Saturday service-- bummer. :smile:

Regarding tint... I have had 19 cars; most have been tinted, and most of those have been tinted by Velvet Touch (border of Pasadena/San Marino). If you are interested, call Velvet Touch at (626) 577-4479 and ask for the owner, Rick (and if you go there, check out his Pantera-- it's wicked). If you would like to see their tint on a MINI... buy the April 2003 issue of Eurotuner... our car is on the cover (2 MINIs on the cover-- blue is Eurotuner's, red is ours) and there are several photos in the feature article (tint on all 5 windows plus a large tint strip on the windshield). Also, this issue has a Buyer's Guide for aftermarket MINI parts.

Old 03-18-2003 | 09:40 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
>>Regarding tint... I have had 19 cars;
WOW

The MCS is my 3rd car ...

Old 03-19-2003 | 12:01 AM
skrutzen
3rd Gear
In regards to Universal City. I paid a markup on my car which to be honest, was not an issue I didn't mind. I got exactly what I wanted and only had to wait 3 months (the longest part of that wait was because of the ship coming from Eng.)

I didn't order from Assael because they were and I'm not sure if they still are, marking up MCS's $6-8,000!!!! That is absolutely wrong. Again my salesman at Universal never once seemed like a "salesman" he seemed more like a friend. Walking into Assael gives me the creeps. I'm glad I don't have to walk in there when I take my car in for service.

Old 03-19-2003 | 12:16 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>Sambusik,
>>There's no weekend MINI service here in SF either. Honestly, I don't need it because I live nearby and can leave Ringo there during any weekday. The dealer pays for the cab ride to/from there to where I need to be.

No weekend service at Towne MINI in WNY either.. but no ride/rental/cab fair service.. not the most convient.. (Esp when I have classes every weekday, and work every weeknight..)

Rocketboy_X

Old 03-19-2003 | 07:44 AM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
To tell you the truth, I think I'm over my anger about the no-weekend service. If something "breaks", I'll drop it off anytime (they can't exactly make you wait for an appointment if your car won't go), and they'll give me a rental.

Otherwise, I'll obviously only be taking it in for it's scheduled services which aren't too often, next one for me is in 5000 miles, that's about 6 to 7 months with the mileage I drive.

Old 03-19-2003 | 01:03 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
I think the NO SATURDAY service is a seasonal thing....

Old 03-19-2003 | 01:05 PM
2minis
6th Gear
>>>>Regarding tint... I have had 19 cars;
>>WOW

Old 04-03-2003 | 05:10 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
Resurrecting this thread. I wrote a letter to the service manager at Universal City MINI / Century West BMW in March describing my frustration with their service.

Today he called me back, and we patched things up :evil:

If you call, and they give you a hard time, rip them a new one! And tell 'em sambusik sent ya.

Old 04-03-2003 | 05:39 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
As expected, I got a hard time when calling to schedule a saturday oil change. the clueless service lady is "looking into it" and will call me back. This is too funny.

Old 04-04-2003 | 01:34 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Did they tell you they USED to offer Saturday Service?

Old 04-04-2003 | 02:33 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
I would just take a day off , get work done,go motoring :smile:
I mean really how many times a year are you going in for service?
I think everyone should be open 5 days,that way when someone comes in they are ready to buy .Besides the working people need time off .You are off sat. why not the tech.

Old 04-04-2003 | 02:50 PM
sambusik
|
6th Gear
A multitude of various retail and commercial outlets are open 24 hours. It's simply expected; they offer whatever is convenient for the customer.

My GMC dealership where I service my Envoy is open 6am to midnight on weekdays and 7am to 7pm on weekends, both Saturday and Sunday.

Having said that, this thread isn't about that. It's about that specific dealership refusing to service MINIs on Saturdays as a matter of preference. Funny thing is I JUST called (as I was typing this thread), and scheduled a Saturday oil change. No questions asked.

I'm sorry, I'm just amusing myself here...