R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Member with a serious question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 PM
spatzek
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member with a serious question

Hello All:

I'm a new member with a question. I've admired the mini since the new version came out in '02 and unfortunately have the distinction of living in Alaska, one of the few states with NO Mini dealers. I'd like a Mini and could swing it next year, but am debating the wisdom of driving a car with no authorized dealer within 2000 miles. I realize that the cars are reliable, but there have been some issues that only a dealer could solve. I have done the research and there's a shop in town with several mechanics that know Mini's, but this is hardly going to be acceptable to BMW and Mini if something goes wrong, I get the car serviced, and the warranty is invalidated because someone other than a dealer with their highly trained/Mini Certified techs worked on the car.

Or are am I overanalyzing things. Should I just buy the darn car and plan on a real long road trip every summer to the nearest dealer in Washington or Oregon. Complicating things is the fact that I finally got a test drive at a local upscale used car dealer in town that has two Minis, both '05 S's one with auto. I drove the 6 speed and all I can say is that I finally get it. the car is amazing and so darn fast and corners like it's on rails, and a week later I'm still grinning like a little kid at Christmas every time I think about the drive. I've been driving a thirsty GMC 3/4 ton pickup for entirely too long.

OK so it sounds like I've already talked myself into it. But seriously, for the people with "the knowledge", what hidden pitfalls do you see based on my current situation, ie no dealer access.

Paul Spatzek
Anchorage Alaska

Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's a risk, but you're better off posting your concerns on MINI Talk because there are owners in Anchorage that deal with the VERY limited NW dealers, and maybe U can hook up with them for advice. Personally, this would be a deal breaker for me, to be that far removed from service, no matter how danged fun the car is. Good luck dude Jimbo

>moderator can we reroute spatzek to MINI Talk?<

Old 06-13-2006, 08:33 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Wow 2000 miles where are you Alaska . The big drawback is that if you do not get some warranty work done by an authorized Mini Service Center that may mess up other parts of your warranty. That said Minis are great cars & I wouldn't trade mine for anything in the world.

Have you thought about buying a used, out of warranty Mini? That way it really wouldn't matter who worked on it & you could save some moolah

Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by spatzek
Hello All:

I'm a new member with a question. I've admired the mini since the new version came out in '02 and unfortunately have the distinction of living in Alaska, one of the few states with NO Mini dealers. I'd like a Mini and could swing it next year, but am debating the wisdom of driving a car with no authorized dealer within 2000 miles. I realize that the cars are reliable, but there have been some issues that only a dealer could solve. I have done the research and there's a shop in town with several mechanics that know Mini's, but this is hardly going to be acceptable to BMW and Mini if something goes wrong, I get the car serviced, and the warranty is invalidated because someone other than a dealer with their highly trained/Mini Certified techs worked on the car.

Or are am I overanalyzing things. Should I just buy the darn car and plan on a real long road trip every summer to the nearest dealer in Washington or Oregon. Complicating things is the fact that I finally got a test drive at a local upscale used car dealer in town that has two Minis, both '05 S's one with auto. I drove the 6 speed and all I can say is that I finally get it. the car is amazing and so darn fast and corners like it's on rails, and a week later I'm still grinning like a little kid at Christmas every time I think about the drive. I've been driving a thirsty GMC 3/4 ton pickup for entirely too long.

OK so it sounds like I've already talked myself into it. But seriously, for the people with "the knowledge", what hidden pitfalls do you see based on my current situation, ie no dealer access.

Paul Spatzek
Anchorage Alaska
Paul,

Nice to hear from you. You might talk to mechanics that have worked on MINIs in your local area and see if you can talk to some MINI owners and see what they have run into.

Then contact your nearest dealership and ask them how you can get service when being 2000 miles away. If they say you must come to them then it might make sense to look at a 2003 or 2004 MINI that has low miles and when the warranty runs out then you'd just go to your local mechanic to fix stuff. Since most of the recalls and bugs are already fixed on many 2003 and 2004 MINIs by their current owners then you'd avoid that hassle. My 2003 is working pretty good right now- only 30,000 miles.

I moved this thread from 1st gear to MINI Talk to see if others have additional comments and opinions.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I think bamatt has the solution, try to find one out of warranty or really close to it.
I had mine back to the dealership twice in the first 4 mos of ownership. Same problem both times and it turned out to be chunk of metal (picked up from the road?) that got into a funky spot and set some sensor off. Not the everyday thing, but I was irked about the 20 minute drive to the dealership in Atlanta, 2000 miles, yikes.
My sister-in-law bought her MINI about 3 weeks before me and it has yet to be in the shop for anything other that scheduled stuff, so who knows.
I'd just move !
Annette

Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
spatzek, if you asked me i would say that the MINI Cooper is not for me given the situation.

No dealership around for performing any service bulletin items, parts would be troublesome to acquire... It just isnt a car that's reliable enough to recommend given your situation.

Considering a used MINI is probably an even worse proposition. These cars, particularly the MCS are driven hard due to their spectacular handling characteristics. Theres also no telling the history done in terms of care and consideration for long term ownership. I can tell you of countless 02, 03 and 04 owners who claimed having no problems on their used MCS for sale here in NY/NJ/CT but shudder when i start asking about TSB which affected their model year.

Perhaps i am overly meticulous and careful to a fault but I have owned and restored many used vehicles and have done the legwork to make these cars shine to their past glory. To me, that's part of the joys of ownership just like raising a child. Always have thought long term with cars. Never had a car shorter than 6 years. I am rambling on now but these are my thoughts. The MINI inspires with its charisma...

Unfortunately practicality and reality is rarely inline with emotion.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Checkmate
5th Gear
As far as the reliablilty goes they must be getting better with later models since consumer reports added it to its recommended car list this year, saing that it is finally reliable enough to make that part of the list. I would call the dealer and see if they are willing to work with you, and just to see what they say.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 AM
C4
Banned
There was someone here in NAM or over at www.mini2.com that had the same dilemma, lives in Alaska and currently drives a Cooper CVT in the last frontier.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:00 AM
sddave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
There was someone here in NAM or over at www.mini2.com that had the same dilemma, lives in Alaska and currently drives a Cooper CVT in the last frontier.
I seem to remember that we was taking his car to Oregon for service and was making a vacation trip with his family out of it. You might want to do a search...wait, I found it:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ghlight=alaska

Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
spatzek, I’d PM nolimit who also lives in Alaska and find out what he’s done and who he has taken his MINI to between servicing or if he’s had to at all? This sounds like the perfect person to talk with because he has had his MINI some time now living in Fairbanks, some miles north of where you’re located.