R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini USA response

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Pep'r
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini USA response

As Mr. Pep'r was feverishly trying to figure out the best way to get our wheels to a glossy black finish... I emailed a question to Mini USA.

The first guy he brought the wheels to asked "what is the finish on those wheels?" Well we weren't sure at the time. So naturally he asked the local service department whose first response was "I don't know" then after some razzing he just made something up and said that the wheels were painted. With an uncomfortable feeling about that response, I emailed Mini USA... stated our simple question... "what type of finish are on these particular wheels" and received the lack luster response of "we don't have that information here, ask your local service department... LET'S MOTOR!!"

My interpretation of that response... "WHO CARES? WHY DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?? THEY'RE FINE!! LET'S MOTOR!!":impatient

Coincidentally, Mini USA called later that day for the new car purchase survey... so after the survey Mr. Pep'r asked the question again and was provided a telephone number to call... the people there were much more knowledgable and helpful! The wheels (7x17 alloy 5 spoke bullet) are powder coated.

I just thought the email response was funny... I pictured some former cheerleader type who doesn't know the first thing about customizing is the person in charge of responding to emails LET'S MOTOR

Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pep'r
I just thought the email response was funny... I pictured some former cheerleader type who doesn't know the first thing about customizing is the person in charge of responding to emails LET'S MOTOR
Don't be too surprised - you are closer to the truth than you know.... I have basically given up looking to MINI USA's public facing organization for reliable/accurate information. They were weeks out of date on the arrival of my car at the dealer.... (It was actually in my hands before the status was changed to in dealer stock....) Whenever I would ask a remotely technical question, I would get a response that directed me to contact my dealer.... So, now I post on NAM. I have never been asked to contact my dealer on any of the topics I have created or participated in on NAM....