R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Mini is on ebay -- Guess the Final Auction Price!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(takes off hat, and reveals mullet) Awwww now .....Dat aint Junior's car cuz it aint got a big ole number 8 on the side....WOOOOOOHOOOOO go DALE......

Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 AM
goaljnky
Banned
I will say this once and then let it go. This is a scam. Just because the auction says that Dale Jr. will personally deliver the car does not make it legit. I don't even comprehend the logic that would make it legit. They might as well claim that every living president will be there during the hand over. The biggest give away that this is a scam is the fact that the payment will be handled through a third party. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is a violation of EBay rules. Lastly, I can guarantee that they will demand the payment prior to delivery of the car to "make sure the check clears" before they bother Dale Jr.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 AM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
woah where can i get that CF Interior?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
I will say this once and then let it go. This is a scam. Just because the auction says that Dale Jr. will personally deliver the car does not make it legit. I don't even comprehend the logic that would make it legit. They might as well claim that every living president will be there during the hand over. The biggest give away that this is a scam is the fact that the payment will be handled through a third party. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is a violation of EBay rules. Lastly, I can guarantee that they will demand the payment prior to delivery of the car to "make sure the check clears" before they bother Dale Jr.
By third party it is probably meant to be an escrow account. Where a third party will hold the funds until you recieve what you are promised, then the third party releases the funds to the seller. It is the only safe way to buy big ticket items on ebay. I am pretty sure it is not against the rules.

Actually I can believe it. I can see how this ad was put up by an assistant, someone who really knows very little about cars but takes care of things like this for dale.....explaining the poorly written ad, and low feedback.

Really if this car appealed to you, there isn't really a big risk in bidding. On purchase like this on ebay I would just plan to make the transaction in person.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
I would bet a small sum that it is real. If it were fake, it would be "too good to be true" pricing. Also, who has a Dale Jr. autographed sun visor in their MINI?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
goaljnky
Banned
I am sorry. My wife, Little Egg on here, deals with celebrities on daily basis working in business management. They do not sell their cars on EBay. Period. It is handled through their business managers and such. And there are no payment details. I quote:

"Once the auction is complete, we will contact you by phone with further instructions regarding acceptance of loan check or money order, and we will arrange a time and date for you to come and receive your vehicle personally from Dale Jr." SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Did you look at the auction for the Cars jacket the same seller has listed, too? Dale Jr. is wearing the same clothes while he is holding the jacket as he is in the car pics. It looks to me like Dale is just selling some stuff through an assistant, who snapped some photos. This explains the somewhat "less than professional" elements. Let's face it, to Dale Jr. this stuff is not a big deal. Not trying to be argumentative at all, just discussing all elements!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
xizor
4th Gear
I am sorry. My wife, Little Egg on here, deals with celebrities on daily basis working in business management. They do not sell their cars on EBay. Period. It is handled through their business managers and such. And there are no payment details. I quote:

"Once the auction is complete, we will contact you by phone with further instructions regarding acceptance of loan check or money order, and we will arrange a time and date for you to come and receive your vehicle personally from Dale Jr." SCAM SCAM SCAM.
I think its pretty obvious that Jr didn't write that Ebay auction himself, the auction practically says his management company is doing it. While there are little payment details, its doesn't say you must wire money via Western Union or some B.S.

A MO is a fine way to pay for something, especially since you have to meet up in person anyways to pick up the car. It says a $200 paypal deposit is required 48 hours after the auction closes, but that's probably protected by Paypal.

If someone is really worried about the authenticity, call up Mini Mania and see if they actually did work on Jr's car.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
According to this article Dale owns a Mini. I think his assistent posted the ad. It is goofy how they put in under Coopers and the wording is a bit goofy, especially the part about the installed Supercharger and the high end torque. I have bid on eBay for years with no problems. You just verify who they are and what you are getting before handing over the money. I would agree that a really rare car might not be put in eBay but why not build interest for the Mini with an auction.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/x...?ch=144&id=911

Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
MotoringSpeed
Former Vendor
I think I threw up a little. That car is nasty looking; and not in a good way. :(

Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Or how about this article. Google is your friend.

http://www.daleearnhardtinc.com/cont..._driver_8.aspx

Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
planeguy
6th Gear

Well.....I would say that Dale Jr. would be a minor celeb.....NASCAR drivers may be widely popular but I dont think they travel rodeo drive with enorages. I get the impression that most are very down to earth and can easilly be seen in public, without paparazzi chasing them..........Besides he could out drive them without smashing into a tunnel abuttment......
So I could see it being done......I say 70% chance of being real

Has anyone tried to contact the seller?

Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
godzilla
3rd Gear
I sent an email to the "contact us" email on the Official Dale Earnhardt Jr. web site.
http://www.dalejr.com/

I'll post the reply if I get one.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
The thing that bugs me the most about this ad is that it says he is upgrading his collection by selling the Mini.

As far as it being legit, it is easy enough to call the business office for Earnhardt and ask if they are selling it. You could go and see the car before paying the full amount no matter who you were buying from. You are just out the $200 in any case and you can go after that through Paypal. As far as 3rd party payment, it is only against eBay rules to circumvent the auction. For a car sale the fees are paid up front so this isn't an issue. You do have to be careful not to use unknown escrows, but that isn't the case here. It is his business office that is taking the money. It is easy enough to verify who they are.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 AM
godzilla
3rd Gear
Probably has a new JCW GP on order or something.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoringSpeed
I think I threw up a little. That car is nasty looking; and not in a good way. :(
agreed
nothing classier than STICK ON CF

Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCLeonard
The thing that bugs me the most about this ad is that it says he is upgrading his collection by selling the Mini.
maybe he is getting an elise

Old 06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
so anyone up for a old Mini thats probably driven pretty hard for its low mileage?

Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 AM
godzilla
3rd Gear
If anyone wants to make the call:
Jr Motorsports LLC
(704) 660-5550
152 S Iredell Industrial P
Mooresville, NC 28115

GOOGLE MAP LINK

CONTACT INFORMATION
Annette Randall, Public Relations
JR Motorsports
(704) 696-3580 phone
(704) 696-3581 fax
For general inquiries
please email: Info@jrmotorsport.com

http://www.jrmotorsport.com/contact/

Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 AM
cmyk
3rd Gear
Well I think it's funny :D

Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
maybe he is getting an elise
or a porsche, or an M3, or an STi....there are lots of cars that would be an upgrade from a MINI....its a 20k car

Old 06-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by acitydweller
so anyone up for a old Mini thats probably driven pretty hard for its low mileage?
I wonder if its ever turned right???

Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Get real people. It is Dale, JR. He legally is not allowed to own any other car but a Chevy!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 AM
sdv515
4th Gear
its known that all nascar drivers are afraid to turn right. duh

Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Get real people. It is Dale, JR. He legally is not allowed to own any other car but a Chevy!
The only car I've seen him drive off the track was a SS Camaro, and it definately didn't have the same type of bling this does. Anyone call him yet?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Mini is on ebay -- Guess the Final Auction Price!