R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 First gear lag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Chunkaway
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gear lag?

Hello all,
This is my first post, so please be gentle. I currently drive a Miata, but I am selling it to be able to purchase a Mini S. I have driven a few Minis-all of them either a 2003 or 2004 Mini S. Something I have started to notice with these cars-aside from them being an abssolute blast to drive- is that there is a weird lag in first gear when you first take off. It sort of feels like it takes the car a second or so for the power to kick in-so to speak. The rest of the time the car feels like it has power on demand, but right off the line it hesitates. Since I have noticed this on several Minis, I am starting to think it is just part of the car. My wife's VW Beetle did this and it drove me crazy. Has anyone else noticed this first gear lag?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
tx-jbird
2nd Gear
The only time I notice anything is when I am pulling out of a parking lot on the way to work (after stopping for Starbucks). It has a steep drive way. So as I pull out, and am making a right hand turn, the DSC light comes on. Outside of that nothing. I have been very pleased with my MCS.

Buy it! You will not be sorry.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
You're not imagining it. The pre-'05 has higher gearing, and that, combined with a less than aggressive drive by wire throttle makes takeoffs less assertive than one might think. Depending on how you use the loud pedal, you can also try turning off the DSC and see if you notice a difference. If you're looking new, the lower gearing makes a big difference.

MINIs and Miatas seem to attract the same type of folks. There are several MINI/Miata threads in the archives.
(I've got a '91 and a '92)

Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM
gadgetgrrll
Neutral
I have a 2004 MCS and was noticing the same thing. The last time I took it into the dealer for service, I mentioned it and they said they had a computer update to apply that should take care of it. I had them do it and I don't notice that issue anymore. Hope you get one. It's been almost three years since I got mine and I still have fun in it!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2006 will break the wheels free if I stomp the gas too hard or let out the clutch too fast. I do notice the G's ramping up as the engine revs increase, but I just chalked that up to the way the engine is geared.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Chunkaway
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gadgetgrrll
I have a 2004 MCS and was noticing the same thing. The last time I took it into the dealer for service, I mentioned it and they said they had a computer update to apply that should take care of it. I had them do it and I don't notice that issue anymore. Hope you get one. It's been almost three years since I got mine and I still have fun in it!

I'll have to talk to my local dealer and ask them about this issue. Thanks for the head's up.

I'm still struggling a bit with giving up my Miata, so it is good to hear how people still love their car three years after they purchased it.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Revwillie
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
My 2006 will break the wheels free if I stomp the gas too hard or let out the clutch too fast.
Yeah, I have that problem too. Even if the clutch is completely engaged and I'm rolling along, I can't give it too much throttle or it'll chirp. I have several bad habits from driving my old 5 speed saturn for so long. With my saturn, I'd hit the gas hard after the clutch was out so I could hear my modified intake. The saturn 5 speed shifters also made it a challenge to find 1st gear from a dead stop and the wiggle-in habit that I developed is really bad to have with the mini's 6 speed shifter. I end up in reverse when trying to hit first.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have this problem and it isn't the DSC kicking in (I've tried it both ways).

A great deal of it can be remedied by buying higher quality gasoline. I've found that Shell or Chevron work very well in Dallas, TX, but the gas at Fina and Exxons seem to cause more lag... the engine just seems to bog down in the lower rev ranges and doesn't want to come out very easily.

This problem also happens more frequently in the summer (95+ degree days in particular).

I also reduced this issue somewhat by installing a higher flow air-filter... just an Alta foam pannel filter, but I'm hoping that a CAI will help even more in the future.

Currently, I have learned that my little car is happer in the higher rev ranges, so I just blip the throttle (quick push on the accelerator) before I pull out into a high-traffic intersection where I need a quick launch.

I test-drove a JCW (same year as my MINI) and it did not suffer from this problem, so it might be resolved by a Cold-Air Intake, a smaller supercharger pulley and/or a less restrictive exhaust....

Old 07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
domc
3rd Gear
I was told from the dealer that this was normal with my CVT. Makes me wonder now if this is normal with all tranny's with the Mini.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:41 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by Chunkaway
Hello all,
This is my first post, so please be gentle. I currently drive a Miata, but I am selling it to be able to purchase a Mini S. I have driven a few Minis-all of them either a 2003 or 2004 Mini S. Something I have started to notice with these cars-aside from them being an abssolute blast to drive- is that there is a weird lag in first gear when you first take off. It sort of feels like it takes the car a second or so for the power to kick in-so to speak. The rest of the time the car feels like it has power on demand, but right off the line it hesitates. Since I have noticed this on several Minis, I am starting to think it is just part of the car. My wife's VW Beetle did this and it drove me crazy. Has anyone else noticed this first gear lag?

Thanks,
Paul
This problem was corrected during the 2005 model year when MINI introduced revised gear ratios for the 6-speed manual GETRAG MCS transmission, among other revisions such as second generation EATON supercharger, revised ECU programming, intake and exhaust.

I used to own a 2004 MCS and the tall first gear was quite frankly very annoying in city driving. This problem went away in the 2005+ MCS (Test drive one and you'll feel the difference right away).

The very tall 1st gear is more appropiate for European driving as the car will have more high end speed. But for Northamerican driving, the tall 1st gear is annoying. In the 2005+ MCS manual you lose a little top end speed but gain better pick up and low end torque from the get go.

FYI, the 1st gear in the '05+ MCS is 11% shorter than in was in the '02-'04 MCS.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Chunkaway
2nd Gear
So, if I install a 15% or 17% pulley, will that help to solve some of the first gear lag? Everytime I drive a 2004 or older Mini, the lag just drives me crazy, so I'm searching for any option available to me to eliminate it. I spoke with my local dealer and they said they didn't know anything about a computer update. Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
gekko
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Chunkaway
Something I have started to notice with these cars-aside from them being an abssolute blast to drive- is that there is a weird lag in first gear when you first take off. It sort of feels like it takes the car a second or so for the power to kick in-so to speak.
I notice if you ease into 1st at very low revs the engine takes a while to ramp up, and there's not a lot of power. So, like agranger, I blip the throttle and then engage the clutch at a slightly higher rev and all of a sudden it's pulling away like mad. Possibly the computer adjusting for granny or racer approaches? Does it adjust that quick to driving habits?

Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 PM
peccavis
1st Gear
I went from an Audi 2.7T 6-speed to a MCS. It's still taking me a while to get used to 1st gear. Launching in 1st in the MCS feels similar to launching in 2nd in the Audi, which had endless low-end torque. In time, I will have mastered launching my MCS, but it just takes time and practice to adjust properly, I'm sure. BTW - gears 2-6 are just GRAVY!

Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With the recent ethanol additions and heat bogging down engines in Texas, a friend of mine mixed half a tank of 93 octane and half a tank of 89... giving him 91 or so, I'd guess. He reports better performance than full 93 octane. Maybe I'll give it a try next time... just to see.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
I got the GIAC ECU reflash and no more 1st gear lag just instant torque