R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My soaked Mini

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:57 PM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My soaked Mini

I was up in PA this weekend to do a charity bike ride for MS. We drove up on Fri night and checked into the hotel at around 11pm, and we drove the car around near our room to unload bikes and bags. I locked up the car, but later I needed to get something else out of the passenger door compartment.

Well, for some reason, whenever I try to unlock both doors on the Mini, the second press of the remote key never seems to do the job. I often have to do it 3 or 4 times, so lately I've gotten into the habit of pressing it several times as I walk up to the car.

So I got what I needed, and shut the door. Locked it with the remote, and went up to the room and to bed. During the night, it rained, and when I went back down to the car in the morning, I found a soaking wet drivers seat - the window had somehow been opened around 1/2". Upon closer inspection, I noticed that both windows were down the same amount, though the passenger side was dry due to wind direction.

I had no idea how this happened until today. I was standing next to my locked Mini while talking to friends. While I was doing it, I was fidgeting with the key, and rapidly pressing the unlock button, not on purpose, but I have "busy" hands and they always have to be doing something.

Well, as I was clicking away on the button, both windows suddenly jumped down around 1/2". I assume that because I was clicking so rapidly, the car confused it for one long press. I was successfully able to reproduce the problem several times, but the windows only go down that 1/2", even if I keep clicking the button.

I guess I need to get the dealer to change my unlock option so that one click opens both doors. That way I'll never have to click more than once. Fortunatelly, the drivers seat dried out quickly. Still was annoying though.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps a stress relief ball would help, too.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:24 PM
miniprof
4th Gear
My second "click" never works either. What's up with that? But I don't think I've ever had my windows start to come down . . . . Glad you didn't end up with too much water in the car. That's awful.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniprof
My second "click" never works either. What's up with that? But I don't think I've ever had my windows start to come down . . . . Glad you didn't end up with too much water in the car. That's awful.
Yeah, I got lucky, and it dried out quickly.

I'm definitely going to get them to change it to 1 click opens both.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
You may already know this, but you have to wait about a full second or so before pressing the button again to unlock the passenger door. Two quick pushes will not do it.

Zip

Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I run into this issue as well. I was told by a SA that you need to wait for the lights to stop flashing to hit the button a second time. I too have an issue where the windows drop about a 1/2 inch and the sunroof pops up. Very anooying, luckily I have not soaked the car yet, but I am waiting for the day.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CARdiac
I too have an issue where the windows drop about a 1/2 inch and the sunroof pops up. Very anooying, luckily I have not soaked the car yet, but I am waiting for the day.
Sounds like you guys are simply activating the remote window opening feature on the key but not pressing the button long enough to fully open the windows. No?

I've opened my windows accidentally while crouching down to look under the car with the keys in my jeans.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
your complaint was common in prior years. This is why dealers dont recommend the auto open featuers anymore and mainly stick to the settings that come from the factory, at least that is what my Motoring advisor advised

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
dix
6th Gear
At least you caught it before it flooded out. Soaked carpet...Yew!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Your problem is that you think you are smarter than your key. Sit patiently and listen to your key and do as it says. It operates at a pace worthy of a wise being. OOOMMMMM!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acitydweller
your complaint was common in prior years. This is why dealers dont recommend the auto open featuers anymore and mainly stick to the settings that come from the factory, at least that is what my Motoring advisor advised
Don't get me wrong. I love the auto open feature! We've been having some very hot, sunny days lately and it's great to take the edge off the heat built up in the car. It's also kind of fun to lower the windows when I catch someone peering in through the tinted windows!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:37 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
You may already know this, but you have to wait about a full second or so before pressing the button again to unlock the passenger door. Two quick pushes will not do it.
No one has ever told me that before (not even my MA). Thanks!

On my previous car, two rapid clicks would do it, so it never occured to me that the Mini would be different.