R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I got my MINI! Trip Details Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:12 AM
cdrober
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all. This will be a trip journal(Like others before me) of my trip to pick up my MINI Cooper S.

It all started back in early May. I got my latest issue of The Official Playstation Magazine and began to read it. In the review of the game 'The Italian Job' there was a little side bar that talked about how BMW was producing a redesigned MINI Cooper. They gave the MINIUSA.Com web-site, so I went to it. That led me to doing searches for other sites that led me to MINICooperOnline.Com(My favorite MINI web-site). The more I read the more I wanted one. In Early June I put my deposit down at Baron MINI in Kansas for a S, only to be told a 9-12 Month wait. After this I began to look around the web for other sources. In doing this I found Bill Jacobs MINI in Chicago. I called them about a week ago to see if they had any MCS's in stock. They told me all they had there and coming in and I decided to get the Chili Red/White MCS with Bonnet Stripes, Sport Package, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. They told me it would take about 10-14 days to be in. I called back two days later and it had just arrived off the truck! After this I had to scramble to get off work, find a way to get there, and get my financing in order.

I first found financing through PeopleFirst.Com, only to find out the dealer wouldn't accept the blank check. They said they would give me a Cashiers check, but there wasn't enough time. Luckily the dealer financed my car through Chase. I ended up getting 7% for 5 years, more than PeopleFirst.Com but still not bad at all.

I left my house Friday morning a 8AM with my dad(I am only 17, so he had to come to sign the loan. By the way I am paying for 3/4 of it, the rest of it is a gift.) We stopped for breakfast and lunch on the way there, so by the time we got there it was about 5PM. We went straight to the Car Rental place to turn in the one-way rental, and Bill Jacobs sent someone in a MC to pick us up. When we got to the dealership we did financing first, drooling over my car later. It was all shined up and clean. The only problem was by the time we asked for the floormats the parts department was already closed so we were stuck with the awfull paper things. After we were done with delivery at about 8 o'clock we went cruising downtown Chicago, My dad drove though because I am still learning how to drive a stick. I made sure he did the proper break-in procedures(The car had 4 miles on it when we got it). Lots of people were looking at us in the car, several even walked up while we were at stop lights saying things such as "Yo dudes, that car is tight". We wanted to go eat at My Pie, but I didn't feel like paying $20 for the parking garage(There was no way I was going to let it be parked on the street). So then we went to Gino's East, but I still had to pay $12 to park there. We ordered our Pizza and were told a 45 minute wait to get it. An hour and 15 minutes later we were told they lost our order. After another 25 minutes we finally got our pizza. It was excellent, one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten. The waiter did take $10 of the check because of the wait, so that covered the parking cost almost. It was midnight by the time we got out of the restraunt. I then drove my car for the first time to Champaign, IL. We got to the hotel a little after 2:30AM and went straigt to sleep.

At 7:30 we were back on the road again heading to Kansas City Kansas. Everyone on the highway was looking at us, giving us the thumbs-up or a peace sign. I was still learning to drive a stick when we got caught in a traffic jam in downtown St. Louis. I was ok most of the time, but I killed the engine once. After that I stopped by my Aunt and Uncle's house just outside of St. Louis. They both really liked the car. Then another 3 & 1/2 hours later the MINI arrived at home to sit in the garage(I can't drive it again untill I get proof of insurance, which should be today). Then I had to rush of to work(I work at Just-For-Feet, a shoe store). By the way, this is my first car and I love it. I also really like this online community, and wish there was a MC club in KC.

The previous was the account of how a 17 year old Male aquired a MCS from Chicago.:smile: :smile:

Old 07-29-2002, 10:26 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats cdrober! What a smart and lucky young lad to choose a MCS for your first car! After a few weeks of driving, you won't have to think about the shifting -- it'll become second nature to you. Have fun motoring!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
You're lucky.....my first car was a 1987 Ford Tempo that I got when I was 20 (I am 24 now).... and my dad got it for me for a whopping $500. Now after selling my '91 Honda Accord (my second car) my Cooper is the first NEW car I have ever bought...... Sure wish someone was paying for part of it as a present.......

Old 07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
CONGRATULATIONS! No doubt you'll love your MINI more and more- with every mile comes even more smiles. If you ever get tired of driving it, have your head checked!

MOTOR ON!

Old 07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Bless you my child. My first car back in 1984 was a 1981 Chevrolet Chevette with 86,000 miles on it. Enjoy the car and the attention that goes with it. I actually had someone (complete stranger) ask for a ride in mine yesterday.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:38 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
Congrats, cdrober!! What a fantastic first car to own. With the clutch and gearbox in the S you will have shifting down inside a couple of weeks with no problems. Much easier car to learn stick on than my first car; my Dad's old 1978 CJ-7 with no power steering and a clutch that King Kong would have trouble pushing to the floor. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 07-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Pebble
4th Gear
Heh, Thanks for sharing,

My first car was a clasic Mini! The engine stalled if you turned hard right and occasionally the left wheel would come away fron the Axle, leaving you with no drive, you had to get out, reach underneath and push the axle back in. The body was not joined to the subframe in 3 of the 4 places it should have been, and I only had it 6 months before it faild it's MOT (a roadworthness test we have in England) But at least I got the car for free, and 15 pounds uk from the scrap yard. I did pay 13p for a cir-clip to stop the axle falling out though.

Still what I really got was an appriciation of how much FUN mini's are. Hopefully BMW will make a MINI that does not rust like the classics!

Pebble
:smile:

Old 07-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear

>>My first car was a clasic Mini!

How's that for syncronicity (and my bad spelling)...

Sure beats my first car (Dodge Omni)

But my mom's first car was an Austin. I asked her which one, and she only remembered that it was yellow.... :smile:

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Tristar
1st Gear
As i told both my daughter's when i taught them to drive a stick. "after a while, it becomes automatic"

Old 07-30-2002, 06:09 AM
phcrim
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
WOW, what a great first car to have. It sure beats the hell out of my first car (in which I also had to learn stick)--a very used 1967 Opel Kadett Rally. It was the 'Rally' version because its 67 cubic inch (!) engine had dual carbs (the smallest I had ever seen). You really had to time lights and hills well in that thing. I suppose it was good stick training, LOL. Anyway, best of luck on your MINI. I can't wait til I scrape up the dough for ordering my own.

================================================== =========
Wanting a DS MCS, wht cap and wheels w/premium, sport and cold packages

Old 07-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
Congrats, and at 17!?! Thats awsome! My first car was a Fiat 126p... some of you from Europe may know that wonderful 24hp power plant, and if lucky, ONE WHEEL BRAKING! I spent 3 months using the E-Brake to stop, because I couldn't muster up the money to buy parts for the front brakes... I must say it was a riot! Well, Enjoy your new car!