R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 cooper s with tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:54 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>I don't know why people assume that driving the CVT is not fun. I gotta tell you guys, with 3 tranny modes, there are more options in driving than with any six speed. With my CVT, I have two driving styles. The first is what I call parade mode. This is what I use in 25mph zones. I just hang back and enjoy the precision my car accelerates/decelerates at low speeds. This is when I practice my
>>cruising techniques and check out all the expressions on faces when people see my MINI. Lotsa smiles.
>> The second mode is what I call spirited. I'm constantly making adjustments, fiddling with the shifter, in and out of all three tranny modes. This is what I do to test the limits of my car, to improve my skills as a CVT driver, and to have a blast.
>>
>>Some times you feel like a nut, some times you don't.
>>
>>If they ever do make an SMG MCS, I would trade up. I love my HARMINI.
>>She is such a pretty MINI. I just wish she would go a little faster.

I agree Harmini. I love my CVT. It is very under estimated. I love driving down the highway in steptronic mode, then putting it down in full throttle mode, where the CVT kicks down to 4th, then I kick it back up two for the added boost to 6th. From there I then rapidly switch back to "D" mode, and the RPMS BOOST UP and the car starts to fly past everyone on the highway. Dont under estimate the Cooper or the CVT, especially with a new intake and exhaust.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:14 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
>>>>Dont under estimate the Cooper or the CVT, especially with a new intake and exhaust.

Anthony, did you put a new intake on your CVT?? I'm waiting for Randy to report back on the latest options. What intake did you get?

Old 03-31-2003, 12:23 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
>>I need to experience the CVT. Want to take me for a ride HARMINI?

You bet! This weekend I'll be around town and would be happy to show you the tints and my new Helix13 exhaust, too. I'll PM you my phone number.

Old 03-31-2003, 03:47 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
>>>>>>Dont under estimate the Cooper or the CVT, especially with a new intake and exhaust.
>>
>>Anthony, did you put a new intake on your CVT?? I'm waiting for Randy to report back on the latest options. What intake did you get?
>>

I got the maganflow exhaust. My new cooper came in today so it will go on that one. I cant wait to try it out. We should meet up and motor sometime Harmini. I am getting the white tail lights just like what you have in your sig.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:08 PM
visionary
1st Gear
>>Paul and I discussed this earlier, but I'll post what my thoughts were for the rest of the world (not that I'm that important).
>>
>>The SMG is a very complicated and expensive piece of technology. I really can't see BMW rationalizing the use of it in a $25000 car. That's a totally different box than the CVT for example.
>>
>>Just my $.02 :smile:

But doesn't Toyota offer one for their MR2 Spyder. Why not the MINI then?
Peace

Old 03-31-2003, 09:53 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
Where is the fun of driving a stick when you are in a stop-and-go traffic jam twice a day? I see no problem with offering the CVT or equivalent on the S. They are both Cooper's after all.