R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Standard Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
ozone
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Radio

I'm thinking about getting an '06 MCS. I was wondering how the standard radio sounds in comparison to the optional Harman Kardon system. Thank you!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should really try them both out at the dealer and hear for yourself.

We've got the standard system in both of our MINI's and I think it sounds just fine but I can tell that the HK is a little bit nicer. I like music a lot but am not obsessive about car stereos either.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ozone
I'm thinking about getting an '06 MCS. I was wondering how the standard radio sounds in comparison to the optional Harman Kardon system. Thank you!
The standard AM/FM radio CD player and four speakers is adequate for most drivers, especially those that:
-Are happy with AM radio (or local FM radio)
-Have modest and practical needs for a car stereo
-Only drive relatively short distances in urban areas
-Don't own many music CDs
-Only listen to talk radio and not much music.
-Have little or no interest in playing music louder
-Don't have a budget for upgraded car stereo
-Would never spend more $$$ to do custom audio upgrades for a car
-Want the lightest possible options for the purposes of racing at autocross or on the track- you'd turn you radio off when doing performance driving anyway.

Best advice is get some music CD that you know very well. Take it to the dealership and go for a test drive in any MINI with standard radio and play the CD music while you drive. See what you think. Is it ok to you? If so, then stop and go no further. If it seems weak with not enough power/loudness then take a test drive in a MINI with Harmon Kardon stereo and repeat the test and see if you can tell a difference. If the sound is worse or the same then stop and stay with the stock radio. If you are impressed with the Harmon Kardon upgrade then see if you want to pay more for that option.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Monk Edsel
4th Gear
I really enjoy listening to music in the car. If I were buying new, I'd be wondering the same thing as you. Mine (used) came equipped with the standard stereo system, and it really surprised me. I think it sounds wonderful, I did not need to adjust the settings at all. The sound is very clear, with good separation and generally ample bass. But as Yucca said, you will have to listen to both and decide for yourself.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minihune
The standard AM/FM radio CD player and four speakers is adequate for most drivers, especially those that:

-Have little or no interest in playing music louder
That's really the only legitimate reason for staying with the standard equipment. And that some of us love the sound of the exhaust.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
That's really the only legitimate reason for staying with the standard equipment. And that some of us love the sound of the exhaust.
Actually there are many quite legitimate reasons for keep the stock radio-
-You like to drive but you "never" use the radio or CD player.
-You are hard of hearing or otherwise hearing impaired and a normal car radio isn't much on your mind.
-You have a leased MINI and you want to keep things basic
-Your spouse rides with you all the time and doesn't like loud music
-You have easily distracted teenaged drivers that you share the car with
-You have big plans "someday" of ripping out all the stock audio stuff.
-You are a car audiophile and you already own all the upgrades ready to install.
-You drive like a normal person and you think the stock radio/CD works just fine.

Pesonally I have driven a fair amount in a MINI with the stock radio/CD, a MINI with H/K, and in my MCS with custom audio. They all work for me albeit at different budgets and with different limitations. Usually they all can beat the pants off of most of the cars I get to rent (from business trips- about 60+ times per year).

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
cmyk
3rd Gear
If you listen to CDs of any kind, I think the HK is a necessity. There have been people who have said the stock stereo has "more than enough bass," while there have also been people saying "the HK system doesn't have enough bass." They are both dead wrong. The HK has a perfect mixture of treble and bass, while the stock system is lacking in both departments. HK built a solid speaker setup. Well worth the investment, even if just for re-sale!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Are happy with AM radio

just throw it at our faces minihune! lol

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I think everyone has their different needs as far as the stereo goes, so its up to your personal tastes. The interesting thing I have found is that I no longer listen to my stereo much at all because I love just focusing on driving and listening to the car. I used to really love listening to music in the car but I have hardly used my stereo at all (usually only on the freeway) in the month that I've had my MC. Has anyone else's MINI had this affect on them?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually there are many quite legitimate reasons for keep the stock radio-
-You like to drive but you "never" use the radio or CD player.
-You are hard of hearing or otherwise hearing impaired and a normal car radio isn't much on your mind.
-You have a leased MINI and you want to keep things basic
-Your spouse rides with you all the time and doesn't like loud music
-You have easily distracted teenaged drivers that you share the car with
-You have big plans "someday" of ripping out all the stock audio stuff.
-You are a car audiophile and you already own all the upgrades ready to install.
-You drive like a normal person and you think the stock radio/CD works just fine.

Pesonally I have driven a fair amount in a MINI with the stock radio/CD, a MINI with H/K, and in my MCS with custom audio. They all work for me albeit at different budgets and with different limitations. Usually they all can beat the pants off of most of the cars I get to rent (from business trips- about 60+ times per year).
All based on the assumption that if you don't have a "quality" sound system, you must not like music or can afford it.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Mahatma Kane
1st Gear
I just took delivery of my MCS about a month ago. I have the standard stereo and I am quite disappointed with it. Music through it just sounds lifeless and dull to me. Even CDs that I really love sound uninteresting and I just end up turning off the system.
The best advise you have received is to listen to both systems at the dealer. I did not do this and regret it. I am sure I will upgrade the stereo in the future.