R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Advice Please, my Mini collapsed tonite.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:18 AM
ppt777
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Please, my Mini collapsed tonite.

I have a DS MCS 05. Today at 4pm i was doing some normal driving and i noticed something, when i press the gas pedal there were nothing (no acceleration) and it happened for like 2 secs, i didnt think much about it after that.
Tonite 12am, i was driving at a highway and same thing happened, no reaction with the gas pedal, no acceleration. It happened suddently and i have to pull over to the right. I turned off the car and tried to start it again but it wont start. I had to call Mini roadside assistance and the car got towed to Mini of Mountain View.

Anybody have any idea what is wrong with my Mini? I'm guessing its not the battery since everthing electronic (lights, radio) still work.
I also change the high beam bulbs and interior lights (with blue LED, it looks cool)

Thanks in advance peeps.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:08 AM
dinandriver
2nd Gear
Well buddy, it could be a hundred different things... These days, because everything is computer controled, the only true way to find out is by hooking up the car to a diagnostic computer...
I had a similar problem with my 95 Jaguar XJR. The hose between the supercharger and the intake had a rip in it... It only did it on hot days. The car would shut off, I had to let it sit 15 to 20 minutes before it would start again... The problem was going on forever cause the "check engin" light never came on and the dealer coudn't pin point the problem with their diagnostic system.
Oh and BTW, even if all your electronics turn on at full power and your car doesn't start, it could still be your battery... Don't you love all this computer controled stuff!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
My Durango also has a Drive by Wire gas pedal. In some cases it needs to be reset. When it gets weird it is more like a limp mode. Anyone know if this can happen to the MINI?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 AM
JDR
3rd Gear
You might want to check your fuel pump. I had this same thing happen when the fuel pump went out on a 96 Jeep. It would start up fine initially, but after some freeway driving the pump would overheat and the car would shut off because of lack of fuel.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
OBC II connector

Your MIni Has an OBC II connection just under your left Knee on the driver's side..has a pop off cover.

if you cannot make it to a dealer, Kragen or almost any other auto place can read the codes the OBC II has stored in it. (I bought a cheap reader from Harbor fgt tools $32.00) Once you get the code...Mini can tell you (most likely) what the problem is...If it is not Mini specific...there are a ton of generic codes out there:

here is a link to some generic ones!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain_(P)_DTCs

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

Edit: see pic for location:

Originally Posted by ppt777
I have a DS MCS 05. Today at 4pm i was doing some normal driving and i noticed something, when i press the gas pedal there were nothing (no acceleration) and it happened for like 2 secs, i didnt think much about it after that.
Tonite 12am, i was driving at a highway and same thing happened, no reaction with the gas pedal, no acceleration. It happened suddently and i have to pull over to the right. I turned off the car and tried to start it again but it wont start. I had to call Mini roadside assistance and the car got towed to Mini of Mountain View.

Anybody have any idea what is wrong with my Mini? I'm guessing its not the battery since everthing electronic (lights, radio) still work.
I also change the high beam bulbs and interior lights (with blue LED, it looks cool)

Thanks in advance peeps.

Attached Thumbnails Advice Please, my Mini collapsed tonite.-obc-location-.jpg  

Last edited by gizzer777; 08-29-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: add pic